Christian Dominionism-The Real Threat to a Secular Republic

Re: Christian Dominionism-The Real Threat to a Secular Repub

Postby Vinnie_Big_Dog » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:36 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Vinnie_Big_Dog wrote:
exploited wrote:
Vinnie_Big_Dog wrote:
exploited wrote:I wouldn't call it a "real threat." Monotheism is dying fairly rapidly in the West.

Maybe and maybe not. We may be coming more secular as a nation but these people are not going away. They seek to impose a tyranny of the minority. I do believe it's is indeed a real threat. It won't happen overnight but if allowed, it will be a creeping theocracy. Just look at these "religious freedom " laws that have been passed as a backlash to same sex marriage, that give people the right to discriminate - in violation of ant-discrimination laws- if they hold, or claim to hold, "deeply felt" religious beliefs. :( :( :(

To be fair, I've been reading almost the exact same prediction for years and years. I cannot say that I notice any meaningful difference other than a certain few big steps in the right direction (for instance, gay marriage being legal in every US state).

At the end of the day, I just don't view these people as a real threat. It could be because I am not a woman or a homosexual, and that I am simply not aware of the problems, but I strongly suspect a more accurate description of what is going on is "totally normal and to-be-expected reactionary measures in the face of an incomplete yet overwhelming and inevitable defeat." The social conservatives have lost, and utterly failed to convince the overwhelming majority of the younger generations to go along with their agenda. Give it ten or twenty years.

You might want to take a peek at this thread:

Donald Trump Is Proving How Mortally Dangerous He Is To LGBT Equality

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelang ... 96552.html

Contrary to those in the media and elsewhere who claimed he was “far more accepting” on LGBT issues than other GOP candidates, Donald Trump is proving that he very much will be a force against LGBT equality if elected president. And he’s doing it in a more insidious, under-the-radar way than any previous GOP presidential nominee.

Is he going to start executing gay's, seriously, do you believe that?

No of course not but there are those in this country who would like to. Have you looked at the statistics on violent crime against transwomen of color ??
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”
~John Kenneth Galbraith
Vinnie_Big_Dog
Council Member

Political Leaning: Very Liberal

Postby Vinnie_Big_Dog » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:26 pm

exploited wrote:
Vinnie_Big_Dog wrote:
exploited wrote:I wouldn't call it a "real threat." Monotheism is dying fairly rapidly in the West.

Maybe and maybe not. We may be coming more secular as a nation but these people are not going away. They seek to impose a tyranny of the minority. I do believe it's is indeed a real threat. It won't happen overnight but if allowed, it will be a creeping theocracy. Just look at these "religious freedom " laws that have been passed as a backlash to same sex marriage, that give people the right to discriminate - in violation of ant-discrimination laws- if they hold, or claim to hold, "deeply felt" religious beliefs. :( :( :(

To be fair, I've been reading almost the exact same prediction for years and years. I cannot say that I notice any meaningful difference other than a certain few big steps in the right direction (for instance, gay marriage being legal in every US state).

At the end of the day, I just don't view these people as a real threat. It could be because I am not a woman or a homosexual, and that I am simply not aware of the problems, but I strongly suspect a more accurate description of what is going on is "totally normal and to-be-expected reactionary measures in the face of an incomplete yet overwhelming and inevitable defeat." The social conservatives have lost, and utterly failed to convince the overwhelming majority of the younger generations to go along with their agenda. Give it ten or twenty years.

It appears that I need to clarify by position here. First, I may have overstated the threat, or given the impression that the establishment of a Christian Theocracy in America is imminent. It is not. However, as I said before, I am fearful of a creeping theocracy that undermines the Constitution where laws are based on religious convictions that not everyone shares.

However, my main point is this. There is no shortage of people who continually blather about the threat of Sharia law being implemented while ignoring -or quietly cheering on- the influence of Christianity in our government. I am not attempting to quantify the influence of Christian theocrats in government, but I am saying that whatever that influence is- it is far greater than the influence of Islam.

I hope that helped. :D :D :D
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”
~John Kenneth Galbraith
Vinnie_Big_Dog
Council Member

Postby exploited » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:13 pm

Vinnie_Big_Dog wrote:
exploited wrote:
Vinnie_Big_Dog wrote:

It appears that I need to clarify by position here. First, I may have overstated the threat, or given the impression that the establishment of a Christian Theocracy in America is imminent. It is not. However, as I said before, I am fearful of a creeping theocracy that undermines the Constitution where laws are based on religious convictions that not everyone shares.

However, my main point is this. There is no shortage of people who continually blather about the threat of Sharia law being implemented while ignoring -or quietly cheering on- the influence of Christianity in our government. I am not attempting to quantify the influence of Christian theocrats in government, but I am saying that whatever that influence is- it is far greater than the influence of Islam.

I hope that helped. :D :D :D

Fair enough. Just try not to overstate threats. Social conservatism is dead for the majority of the American population, but the southern States and rust belt (specifically the rural areas of both) are taking awhile to catch up. That should be no surprise, as their needs are much different from people living in densely-populated urban areas.

I agree that measures to discriminate based on race or sexual orientation should be opposed.

I also agree that fundamentalist Christians have more of a say over Western politics than fundamentalist Muslims, and likely always will.

I just think that the threat of either Christians or Muslims taking over is next to nothing. There will be no serious, lasting reversals in human rights policy. We are just waiting for pre-internet folk to die off (it is as nasty as it sounds, unfortunately).
exploited
Vice President

Postby Vinnie_Big_Dog » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:38 pm

Tom DeLay: God Has Given The Religious Right A ‘Clean Slate’ To Reshape America Via President Trump

Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay sat down with the right-wing conspiracy theory website WorldNetDaily last week to promote his latest book, “Revival! Revolution! Rebirth!,” and praise God for having given the Religious Right a “clean slate” to reshape America via Donald Trump.

“Now that Trump is elected, I’m very excited about it because I see now what God is doing,” DeLay said. “First of all, He stopped the left in its tracks and He stopped Hillary Clinton and put a man in place that was a strong leader, which the country was begging for.”

“I think I see what God’s intentions were,” he continued. “Here’s a man that basically is a clean slate and we, being Christian constitutionalist conservatives, have an opportunity to fill in that slate …  We, being strong Christians conservatives, are going to have an opportunity to really turn this country around in a bold way.” http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/tom- ... ent-trump/
~John Kenneth Galbraith
Vinnie_Big_Dog
Council Member

Postby spacemonkey » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:43 pm

Personally, I could give a ratsass about anyone's religion or lack of it. I do give a ratssass about their behavior if it goes Neanderthal for any reason.
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Previous

Return to Religion