[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Nintendo Switch (NX) • Science/Tech • Political Crossfire Forums

Nintendo Switch (NX)

Nintendo Switch (NX)

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:02 am

Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Nintendo Switch (NX)

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:10 am

Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:25 pm

Its interesting...and the marketing guys seem to have gotten the message that they need to make sure everyone knows its a console you connect to a TV set this time. Last time people seem to have thought the WiiU was just another peripheral for the Wii. Or just a tablet portable thing.

Honestly, I don't have high hopes for the performance of the device...because either its underpowered, or the battery life is abysmal. Now that nvidia is able to run their desktop grade GPU's in laptops, its certainly possible that they've got some sort of co-processor setup with a derivative of the Pascal architecture? That would at least be kinda energy efficient?

Nintendo is clearly not even going to attempt build a performance console that third parties will develop for. They are clearly obsessed with mobile...because its a success in Japan. Here, the money is in serious consoles. I don't know how long people are going to be willing to buy a whole hardware platform just to play Nintendo's games. I wish they'd just become a third party developer and let the rest of us buy their stuff.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:50 pm

here's the list of known 3rd party developers for Nintendo Switch games

note: nintendo has had some serious issues letting 3rd party developers make games. but there is good reason. the video game industry crashed because of saturation of shit. there was a purina dog food game

the market crashed and took time to recover. in response nintendo became the household name as it was there to pick up the pieces, and made sure their games were quality https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Ame ... sh_of_1983

and frankly there's SO MUCH SHIT GAMES OUT THERE RIGHT NOW i don't blame nintendo for continuing to be picky

but as you can see they do have some big names
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Here we go:

Don't know if legit...but it sounds like Tegra. This is smartphone hardware. lol.

256 CUDA cores. Cortex A57. Maxwell. This is a modified Tegra SoC.

Oh well. Don't expect the big third party games to be ported to ARM anytime soon.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:00 pm

so what? im here for the zelda. everything else i buy on pc
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:41 pm

Honestly I love the concept. The little kickstand is cool, and the ability to detach the controller...side...thingies...and use them like that. Ergonomically looks pretty great.

I just wish Nintendo could be the shit again. SNES and N64 were seriously great back when I was a kid. Nostalgia, I guess. Now they are becoming very niche.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby John Galt » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:16 am

nintendo isn't about making realistic shooters or whatever, and never has. the reason the pcmasterrace gives nintendo a pass is because they haven't pretended to be something they aren't. while microsoft and sony talk about cinematic 24fps and shit, pc is the place where if you want to have actually good graphics you go too. nintendo makes games. it's games that you loved? split screen is a lot of them. it has f**k all to do with graphics. try watching goldeneye again. its horrible looking, but you had fun doing it. ninendo wants fun games, it doesn't want mindblowing graphics. and when the graphics are good it's typically highly stylized, rather than crisp and lifelike. and that's fine with me

These users thanked the author John Galt for the post:
phosphide
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby phosphide » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:46 am

All I care about is playing Zelda and Mario Kart wherever the f**k I want to. Soon enough they'll also include the throwbacks (Ocarina of Time), to which I'll be set for quite a while. No more downloading ROMs from sketchy ass websites.
We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Postby Spider » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:19 pm

Spider
VIP
VIP

Return to Science/Tech