Caitlyn Jenner Wins

Current news and it's political impact.

Caitlyn Jenner Wins

Postby Thatcher » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:30 pm

http://buzz.blog.ajc.com/2015/06/02/esp ... age-award/

GTFO. I am losing hope in humanity. How does Bruce Jenner win the award over this story?

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... ies-at-19/

Lauren Hill, the inspirational Mount St. Joseph’s women’s basketball player who played despite battle terminal brain cancer, died this week, according to her nonprofit, The Cure Starts Now.

She was 19 years old.

Hill was diagnosed with DIPG, a deadly form of brain cancer, after she committed to play her college basketball at Mount St. Joseph. She petitioned the NCAA to allow her team to play a game prior to the season, and the NCAA acquiesced.

She ended up scoring in her college debut, and would go on to score 10 points in four games that she played. Eventually the disease would make her too weak to play, but she was named an honorary coach for the program around the same time that she was admitted to hospice care.

DIPG may have taken Lauren’s health, but it never killed her spirit. She raised more than $1 million for DIPG research by launching campaigns like Layup 4 Lauren Challenge, which capitalized on the virality of the Ice Bucket Challenge.
Thatcher
Mayor

Re: Caitlyn Jenner Wins

Postby John Galt » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:54 pm

yeah, i know, it's the nypost. but it's a good point

http://nypost.com/2015/06/03/why-caitly ... -them-all/

With precise timing and careful orchestration, Bruce Jenner turned his transformation to Caitlyn into a publicity stunt.

Anyone who sees it differently isn’t thinking clearly.

Caitlyn is an attaché of the monstrous Kardashian publicity machine, which has bankrolled an entire network, put the national media in a stranglehold, and persuaded an entire generation of adoring fans to embrace its relentless banality.

The former Olympic athlete has shown them all — especially ex-wife Kris, the family’s master puppeteer — that she’s beating the Kardashians at their own game.

Her transformation on the July cover of Vanity Fair — from Bruce, a hulking, ruddy-faced guy in a ponytail and sweatpants, into Caitlyn, a 1950s-style bathing beauty whose imperfections have been smoothed over through the wizardry of modern graphic design — has been carefully crafted into guaranteed newsstand gold: She’s a product, the most glamorous Kardashian of them all.

It comes less than six weeks after Jenner sat down with Diane Sawyer for a “20/20” interview in which she referred to herself using male pronouns. Now that he’s a she officially, the pronouns are female, and it has nothing to do with matters of spirit, emotion or identity.

As the poster girl for the transgender community (because this photo is here to stay, like it or not), Jenner — with her photographer, Annie Leibovitz — is selling an image that camouflages the years of struggle and self-doubt she revealed to the Sawyer audience.

It’s all about strategy. And in her case, the magazine cover, which will be on newsstands for a month, serves as a walk-up to promote Caitlyn’s reality show, “I Am Cait,” premiering July 26 on — where else? — the E! network. If roughly 20 million watched the Sawyer interview on ABC, you can imagine the numbers E! is dreaming of for premiere night.

“I’m not doing it for money. I’m doing it to help my soul and help other people,” Caitlyn told Vanity Fair. “If I can make a dollar, I certainly am not stupid. [I have] house payments and that kind of stuff. I will never make an excuse for something like that. Yeah, this is a business.”

E! has shelled out plenty of do-re-mi to the franchise — reportedly signing Mama Kris with a $100 million contract — so it’s not a stretch to imagine that Caitlyn is earning a pretty penny for her show, of which she is also an executive producer. If she has any brains, she will follow the Kardashian sisters into the land of endorsement deals. Yesterday’s Wheaties cereal box is tomorrow’s MAC ad. Or, if the ratings tank, a Metamucil spot.

Even her new name has marketing potential. Since we don’t associate the name with anyone famous, she’s free to do what she wants with it.

“In terms of branding, it was a great choice,” says Jennifer Moss, founder and CEO of babynames.com. “Maybe she took that into consideration.”

A Kardashian thinking about branding? Nooo.

Of course, we will have to see how Kris and her spawn top Caitlyn’s transgender reveal, which was a social-media sensation. Looking at the numbers — she reached 1 million Twitter followers in four hours and called it “another world record” — Kris could take a page from Caitlyn’s book.

At the peak of its popularity, “Keeping Up With the Kardashians,” which premiered in 2007 and is now in its 10th season, drew 4.67 million viewers for its fifth-season premiere. Ratings have eroded by half since — a mere 2.37 million viewers watched Sunday night’s episode.

Now that the Kardashians have pushed the limits of the franchise, viewers might be getting bored. It was no accident that the elder Kardashian children did not comment to Sawyer on Caitlyn’s transformation, leaving thoughts to be expressed only by the mothership.

And speaking of Mom, her tearful reactions to Caitlyn’s decision were captured on a very special two-night episode of “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” dubbed “About Bruce.” The ploy worked: The cumulative rating for the two nights was 7.7 million viewers.

Caitlyn and the Kardashians continue to battle it out to see which one is the bigger media hog.

The day of Caitlyn’s Vanity Fair cover release just happened to coincide with Kim Kardashian West’s Glamour magazine cover. Naturally, the Vanity Fair cover was bigger news and wiped Kim — one of the great bores of our time — from the media coverage.

It’s like watching “What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?” to see what Bette Davis wouldn’t do to wipe Joan Crawford off the screen.

The way I see it, the only way for the Kardashians to top Caitlyn Jenner, now, is for Kris to become a man.

it's a publicity stunt. and it worked, quite marvelously. see jenner get an award for courage...

what is the purpose of the award? is it to shine a spotlight on someone for being courageous? why does jenner need more of a spotlight? because it's not that, the award is political of course. last year was micheal sam, who was courageously cut from the team... and also was trying to get his own reality tv show
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Saz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:55 pm

Serious question. Is she legally still a male or what's going on here? What's she put on the census? Could she compete in the women's olympics? Which restroom does she use in public?

I'm not sure if I would be delighted or enraged by a former man destroying some women sporting event. I would certainly watch though
Pun intended for the plebes on here who don't get a joke
Saz
Governor

Postby Aaron » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:01 pm

Social issues turn conservatives into the biggest pile of bleeding vaginas the universe has ever seen.

Conservatives should be congratulating a transgender woman for finding a way to make money in a world still nearly diametrically opposed to her issues.

But no, they've once again proved there is no substance to the rhetoric... just a bunch of dim witted bumpkins looking for pundits to parrot.

STOP LEGISLATED MORALITY. BAN SOCIAL CONSERVATISM.
Aaron
Banned
Banned

Political Leaning: Liberal

Postby John Galt » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:26 pm

Saz wrote:Serious question. Is she legally still a male or what's going on here? What's she put on the census? Could she compete in the women's olympics? Which restroom does she use in public?

I'm not sure if I would be delighted or enraged by a former man destroying some women sporting event. I would certainly watch though

sex verification is done in the olympics. catilyn 'bruce' jenner is a known man and would not be allowed to compete against women, according to olympic rules
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Dylan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:33 am

Not to be a dick but was Hill that brave? I mean lots of people die from cancer.

Anyway I don't think Jenner should have gotten the award either.
Dylan
Vice President

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby eynon81 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:37 am

between this and the Duggars Non wonders what THEY are trying to distract us from.
eynon81
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Postby spacemonkey » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:10 am

The entire story = perverts.
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby Thatcher » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:23 pm

Aaron wrote:Social issues turn conservatives into the biggest pile of bleeding vaginas the universe has ever seen.

Conservatives should be congratulating a transgender woman for finding a way to make money in a world still nearly diametrically opposed to her issues.

But no, they've once again proved there is no substance to the rhetoric... just a bunch of dim witted bumpkins looking for pundits to parrot.

Yes, only a conservative would think that it's ridiculous that a guy who CHOOSES to get fake tits wins a courage award over a woman who dies of cancer and raises millions for her cause. I forgot, let's keep everyone in groups. Gosh, I can't possible be pro-choice, support gay marriage, don't give a shit about what transgenders do, think we should cut military spending in half, fix infrastructure and increase taxes on the rich and disagree with this PC BS. Only a conservative would have a problem with this. I can't stand idiots that group people based on ONE issue.
Thatcher
Mayor

Postby Aaron » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Thatcher wrote:
Aaron wrote:Social issues turn conservatives into the biggest pile of bleeding vaginas the universe has ever seen.

Yes, only a conservative would think that it's ridiculous that a guy who CHOOSES to get fake tits wins a courage award over a woman who dies of cancer and raises millions for her cause. I forgot, let's keep everyone in groups. Gosh, I can't possible be pro-choice, support gay marriage, don't give a shit about what transgenders do, think we should cut military spending in half, fix infrastructure and increase taxes on the rich and disagree with this PC BS. Only a conservative would have a problem with this. I can't stand idiots that group people based on ONE issue.

Choosing to get fake tits doesn't quite encapsulate the breadth of transgender psychology. It seems you're not quite equipped to contribute to this conversation.

STOP LEGISLATED MORALITY. BAN SOCIAL CONSERVATISM.
Aaron
Banned
Banned

Political Leaning: Liberal

Next

Post a reply

Quote Selected

Return to Front Page News