World's first trouple

Current news and it's political impact.

Re: World's first trouple

Postby Dylan » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:50 pm

jimmyz wrote:
Winchester wrote:
Dylan wrote:once divorce became accepted marriage was dead.

Pretty much. My grandparents (and their siblings) zero divorces. My parents and their siblings about 20% divorce rate. My generation, my wife and I are the only ones never divorced out of our siblings (2 each). It's no wonder our kids generation want nothing to do with marriage.

True. In the old days you had to get married to get regular ass. Now-a-days the girls give it out like pieces of chewing gum no strings attached.

Honestly it's harder to find good chewing gum.
Dylan
Vice President

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby eynon81 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:52 pm

jimmyz wrote:
Winchester wrote:

Pretty much. My grandparents (and their siblings) zero divorces. My parents and their siblings about 20% divorce rate. My generation, my wife and I are the only ones never divorced out of our siblings (2 each). It's no wonder our kids generation want nothing to do with marriage.

True. In the old days you had to get married to get regular ass. Now-a-days the girls give it out like pieces of chewing gum no strings attached.

sorta....you could always pay for it back in the day.
eynon81
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Postby Spider » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:52 pm

exploited wrote:
Spider wrote:
exploited wrote:
Spider wrote:I say let someone else have a crack at it. The straights have turned it into a joke. Divorces for $99 online.

It's just a simple and unavoidable truth that at least 75% of humanity should not marry. The less important of a social institution it becomes, the better for relationships overall.

Probably true.

Most certainly true.

If you have ever been divorced, it means that you aren't fit for marriage. That's just a fact. When I say this people are always like "But what about people who jumped into it or married a person who turned out to be totally different or abusive or cruel?" And my response is the same: it's proof that you aren't fit for marriage. Because marriage has a very specific function, in my mind, and that is to provide an emotionally healthy, lifelong, loving relationship, based upon total acceptance and understanding of your partner, with absolutely zero possibility of ever ending in divorce. So if you got married to someone who abuses you, or married to someone you barely know, or married to someone you can't negotiate and compromise with, no matter what, then it follows that you do not have the emotional or mental maturity/stability/development to get into a relationship of that nature. And absent changing who you are to a drastic degree, which most adults cannot do, that will always be the case.

Based on that, we know that 60-65% of people who marry shouldn't have married. We also know that at least half of all marriages are unhappy or involve regular, persistent cheating. Not hard to get to that 75%.

Some people simply fall victim to false advertising, though. I've seen that. Someone gets married to someone they've been with for months, and then that person changes...like a switch being thrown. Suddenly the sweet, caring fun girl you married has cut her hair off, gained 40 lbs, and starts bitching and complaining at you all day, entitled to this, demanding that. Happened to a buddy from college. He got out before there were any kids, thankfully. Another example is a guy who started hitting this girl who used to work at our office. That guy had been to our place on several occasions, socially he went with us on a weekend long fishing trips, seemed a pretty decent sort. Shy, quiet, reserved, bit nerdy, really. But damn if he didn't start slapping her around within two months of the wedding after over a year of living with her.

So shit happens. We can't blame people when others so completely misrepresent themselves.
Every dark cloud has a silver lining. But lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby jimmyz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:53 pm

Dylan wrote:
jimmyz wrote:
Dylan wrote:
jimmyz wrote:Wasn't a catholic/religious ceremony. A civil one. Galt with have to take this up with you I guess. I think he still thinks he's married according to God.

So what? Society has said marriage is a sacred bond that cannot be ended for a long time (just like it said marriage is between one man and one woman for a long time).

And I bet you said those fateful words, till death do us part.

But you didn't really mean it. And now you're deciding what marriage should be for others. Society told you marriage was for life and you said "nah".

Why are you allowed to reject society's perspective on what marriage should be, but this new generation that's rejecting society's perspective on what marriage should be is in the wrong?

How absurdly and laughably hypocritical.

I was dead inside that marriage... so technically lol

You also missed this post of mine - "Once I accept the new way I'll make no recognition of the sex of the people involved and be an evolved person. Until then no. I'm stubborn and according to the Oregonian a "mouth breather".

You can't beat it into me Dylan.

I know you'll stubbornly resist. I thought I'd try logic on you even though I knew it wouldn't work. Worth a shot I suppose.

Could you change my mind any more than I could yours on a subject you've made your mind up on? I was wondering what the ramifications of the bastardizing of the word marriage might portend in the future. I got no posts RE that. Apparently everything will be accepted without a thought.
" I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing. All of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman.' I want a wife, not a competitor! Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)
jimmyz
Governor

Political Leaning: Conservative

Postby Spider » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:53 pm

jimmyz wrote:
Spider wrote:
jimmyz wrote:
So why did you do it knowing the odds?

Because YOLO! And because she was just that awesome. I fully intended to just date randoms and go fishing on the weekends my entire life...that was the plan from early childhood, believe it or not, since my parents are divorced. Made that decision young. But then she came along and I've been extremely irrational about it ever since, much like most other people, I'd assume. Because marriage truly is irrational.

You only know if you avoided divorce if you die without having had one. Am I supposed to never get married because it might go south? The reason to not get married is because your a fool with crazy expectations, working under a rose-tinted, rom-com fueled misconception of it, or if your just an immature human being who doesn't take joy in doing and being for others. As Ex said, most people shouldn't get married.

I know I'm not going anywhere...but am I naive enough to presume to know that she's going to stick around for the next 50 years? Nope. Can't read minds. I'll know if I die with a wedding ring on. Otherwise its all a crap shoot.

Knocked her up and were pressured by the families huh?

Oh f**k off. :)) The kid came years later.
Every dark cloud has a silver lining. But lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby jimmyz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:54 pm

eynon81 wrote:
jimmyz wrote:
Winchester wrote:

sorta....you could always pay for it back in the day.

Only someone with your face would have to pay........................ kidding.
" I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing. All of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman.' I want a wife, not a competitor! Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)
jimmyz
Governor

Postby Winchester » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:55 pm

jimmyz wrote:
Winchester wrote:

Loss of fear about unwanted pregnancies will do that.
Winchester
Governor

Postby Dylan » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:56 pm

jimmyz wrote:
Dylan wrote:
jimmyz wrote:
Dylan wrote:
jimmyz wrote:Wasn't a catholic/religious ceremony. A civil one. Galt with have to take this up with you I guess. I think he still thinks he's married according to God.

So what? Society has said marriage is a sacred bond that cannot be ended for a long time (just like it said marriage is between one man and one woman for a long time).

And I bet you said those fateful words, till death do us part.

But you didn't really mean it. And now you're deciding what marriage should be for others. Society told you marriage was for life and you said "nah".

Why are you allowed to reject society's perspective on what marriage should be, but this new generation that's rejecting society's perspective on what marriage should be is in the wrong?

How absurdly and laughably hypocritical.

I was dead inside that marriage... so technically lol

You also missed this post of mine - "Once I accept the new way I'll make no recognition of the sex of the people involved and be an evolved person. Until then no. I'm stubborn and according to the Oregonian a "mouth breather".

You can't beat it into me Dylan.

I know you'll stubbornly resist. I thought I'd try logic on you even though I knew it wouldn't work. Worth a shot I suppose.

Could you change my mind any more than I could yours on a subject you've made your mind up on? I was wondering what the ramifications of the bastardizing of the word marriage might portend in the future. I got no posts RE that. Apparently everything will be accepted without a thought.
I've listened to logic and changed my mind on this forum many times.
Dylan
Vice President

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Winchester » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:58 pm

jimmyz wrote:Could you change my mind any more than I could yours on a subject you've made your mind up on? I was wondering what the ramifications of the bastardizing of the word marriage might portend in the future. I got no posts RE that. Apparently everything will be accepted without a thought.

Regarding marriage, probably so.
Winchester
Governor

Postby jimmyz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:00 pm

Dylan wrote:I've listened to logic and changed my mind on this forum many times.

And many many more times you haven't changed your mind...yes.
jimmyz
Governor

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Quote Selected

Return to Front Page News