Voting Might Need to be Mandatory

Current news and it's political impact.

Re: Voting Might Need to be Mandatory

Postby NAB » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:29 pm

Southern Dad wrote:
Spider wrote:
Southern Dad wrote:I've pulled a few levers for democrats over the years but I am and always have been a republican. I just find it odd that its so hard to find people willing to identify themselves as democrats now.

Whaaa?

Maybe way down south that would be the case, but there is no shortage at all of Democratic Party peeps around the country. The only group larger is Independents. Around here finding an admitted republican is like trying to catch someone littering in the park. :)

Scope it out: http://www.gallup.com/poll/166763/record-high-americans-identify-independents.aspx

On all these forums we have independents who happen to vote democrat. It's amazing.

Some of us don't vote at all. Maybe that makes me a true independent.
Welcome to our speak board web page
NAB
Governor

Postby exploited » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:12 pm

Kane wrote:Voters today are willfully ignorant...we want to make it compulsory to pile onto that subset of voters? Imagine all the great representatives we'd get....

:-\

It amazes me how elitist this forum really is. Just because we obsess over the news and read a book from time to time doesn't make our political opinions more valid.

The anti-democracy strain is potent here. It's a shame.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Spider » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:47 pm

Southern Dad wrote:
Spider wrote:
Southern Dad wrote:I've pulled a few levers for democrats over the years but I am and always have been a republican. I just find it odd that its so hard to find people willing to identify themselves as democrats now.

Whaaa?

Maybe way down south that would be the case, but there is no shortage at all of Democratic Party peeps around the country. The only group larger is Independents. Around here finding an admitted republican is like trying to catch someone littering in the park. :)

Scope it out: http://www.gallup.com/poll/166763/record-high-americans-identify-independents.aspx

On all these forums we have independents who happen to vote democrat. It's amazing.

Not seeing a problem with that....

I don't think its news that independents tend to lean that way. Republicans have greater appeal to those with a predilection for partisanship. Their whole platform boils down to "us vs them". Nature of the beast.
"Freedom is the increased knowledge of that which you can do without." -Thoreau
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Spider » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:48 pm

exploited wrote:
Kane wrote:Voters today are willfully ignorant...we want to make it compulsory to pile onto that subset of voters? Imagine all the great representatives we'd get....

It amazes me how elitist this forum really is. Just because we obsess over the news and read a book from time to time doesn't make our political opinions more valid.

Forcing people to vote isn't very democratic. Kinda antithetical, in fact.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby exploited » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:52 pm

Spider wrote:
exploited wrote:

We force people to testify in court, obey often-ridiculous rules, have a drivers license, all sorts of things really. I don't see how being forced to vote is particularly "antithetical" to democracy, given those facts. Especially if it's done the right way - perhaps a tax advantage for those who do vote, made up with tax increases for those who don't.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Spider » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:00 pm

Apples and oranges. The vote is a foundational right. Not an obligation. Democracy by definition can't be forced onto you. Voting is definitive of democracy. Requiring someone to get a drivers license should they choose to drive a car is just transit policy. Not at all comparable.

I like the earlier idea. Give people a "decline to participate" box on their ballot. Still puts a ballot in everyone's hands, but doesn't put a gun to anyone's head.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby exploited » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:05 pm

Spider wrote:Apples and oranges. The vote is a foundational right. Not an obligation. Democracy by definition can't be forced onto you. Voting is definitive of democracy. Requiring someone to get a drivers license should they choose to drive a car is just transit policy. Not at all comparable.

I like the earlier idea. Give people a "decline to participate" box on their ballot. Still puts a ballot in everyone's hands, but doesn't put a gun to anyone's head.

It is indeed a foundational right, but again, I'm not sure how that makes requiring you to exercise it antithetical to democracy. I mean you can make a reasonable case against it by talking about the logistics, or by arguing that freedom of conscience is more important, but to me the idea that it is wrong because it is "forced" is probably the weakest argument you could make.

And of course I'd be glad to include a decline to participate option. And I'd like to see religious exemptions to some degree. But there is nothing particularly bad about this idea. In terms of impact on people's liberty, it is far less damaging than most laws on the books.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Medius » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:14 pm

exploited wrote:

I am absolutely anti-democracy, people are idiots. You need something in your governmental mix to offset that stupidity.
Medius
Governor

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Medius » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:15 pm

exploited wrote:
Spider wrote:
exploited wrote:

We force people to testify in court, obey often-ridiculous rules, have a drivers license, all sorts of things really. I don't see how being forced to vote is particularly "antithetical" to democracy, given those facts. Especially if it's done the right way - perhaps a tax advantage for those who do vote, made up with tax increases for those who don't.

We do other stupid stuff, so we should do this stupid stuff? That's the argument?
Medius
Governor

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby exploited » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:16 pm

Medius wrote:
exploited wrote:
Spider wrote:
exploited wrote:

We do other stupid stuff, so we should do this stupid stuff? That's the argument?

Nah, the point is that democracy is perfectly compatible with force, and always has been.
exploited
Vice President

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Quote Selected

Return to Front Page News