UN intervention as gov turns off water supply in Detroit

Current news and it's political impact.

Re: UN intervention as gov turns off water supply in Detroit

Postby John Galt » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:01 pm

probably just new york. considering they just throw garbage on the side of the street like it's 1799 it's probably just to stem the tide of disease

everywhere else puts garbage in the bin and then someone comes and gets it. oh and you pay the man.
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12403
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 579 times
Been thanked: 1292 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: UN intervention as gov turns off water supply in Detroit

Postby Philly » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:06 pm

What? Dept of sanitation does trash collection. Do you guys pay for cops and firemen too? (outside of taxes of course)
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9422
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 949 times
Been thanked: 1116 times

Re: UN intervention as gov turns off water supply in Detroit

Postby John Galt » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:27 pm

no, those are public utilities, but garbage is handled by private businesses. in most places it is. it's not an emergency need, it's just something that needs to happen once a week or whatever. but in new york, since that place has garbage on the street outside of bins at all hours of the day, i would say it's arguably an emergency need. it makes sense there
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12403
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 579 times
Been thanked: 1292 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: UN intervention as gov turns off water supply in Detroit

Postby Philly » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:41 pm

John Galt wrote:no, those are public utilities, but garbage is handled by private businesses. in most places it is. it's not an emergency need, it's just something that needs to happen once a week or whatever. but in new york, since that place has garbage on the street outside of bins at all hours of the day, i would say it's arguably an emergency need. it makes sense there

Even when I lived in a small town in central Pennsylvania the municipality did the garbage collection
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9422
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 949 times
Been thanked: 1116 times

Re: UN intervention as gov turns off water supply in Detroit

Postby exploited » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Spider wrote:
exploited wrote:At this point, the state government needs to declare a state of emergency, and then invite the federal government to step in to get Detroit under control. It is unacceptable for any Western city to deny water, police, firefighting, basic infrastructure care, etc. This is North America, for f**k sake, not some shithole in Cambodia.

Americans applying to the United Nations for help. Christ.


Thing is that in Cambodia even the municipal water isn't something I'd want to drink without a bunch of iodine caps. Doesn't matter which set of imaginary lines it happens in. Everything has to be paid for. Pay it with taxes, cut a check, whatever, but paid it has to be. Utility bills are part of having a house. There is even low income assistance to help out with the cheap basics like water. I think we've got the right idea above, that people got it in their heads that they could just not pay and get away with it...and then over a long period of time a trivial expense turned into a greater one. Logically it follows that paying the power bill is also a reasonably good idea.

I assume that if I started just stealing city water they'd shut it off on me as well. As they well should. So I don't do that. (Which is easy in my case since its included in the fees for the building, and is almost nothing compared to actually paying for the place each month). TANSTAAFL principal applies.

But yeah, Detroit needs to be bulldozed into a hole and returned to agriculture. Its usefulness is long past.


Couple things:

1. The government is creating a massive public safety issue. It is like 900 degrees out and they just cut the water off to thousands of people, all of whom are already disadvantaged and thus unable to really just pick up and leave.

2. Access to water ought to be considered a basic human right. It is outrageous that a modern nation like America or Canada would do something like this, regardless of the culpability of the residents.

3. Get some pride dude. You always rage out about America except for when it counts. You've got a bunch of Americans living in third world conditions. Jesus, how does that not bother you? I feel like the only people who actually give a shit about America's reputation aren't actually American.

These users thanked the author exploited for the post (total 2):
The Dharma BumPhilly
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 20999
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2207 times
Been thanked: 1702 times

Re: UN intervention as gov turns off water supply in Detroit

Postby Philly » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:12 pm

exploited wrote:
Spider wrote:
exploited wrote:At this point, the state government needs to declare a state of emergency, and then invite the federal government to step in to get Detroit under control. It is unacceptable for any Western city to deny water, police, firefighting, basic infrastructure care, etc. This is North America, for f**k sake, not some shithole in Cambodia.

Americans applying to the United Nations for help. Christ.


Thing is that in Cambodia even the municipal water isn't something I'd want to drink without a bunch of iodine caps. Doesn't matter which set of imaginary lines it happens in. Everything has to be paid for. Pay it with taxes, cut a check, whatever, but paid it has to be. Utility bills are part of having a house. There is even low income assistance to help out with the cheap basics like water. I think we've got the right idea above, that people got it in their heads that they could just not pay and get away with it...and then over a long period of time a trivial expense turned into a greater one. Logically it follows that paying the power bill is also a reasonably good idea.

I assume that if I started just stealing city water they'd shut it off on me as well. As they well should. So I don't do that. (Which is easy in my case since its included in the fees for the building, and is almost nothing compared to actually paying for the place each month). TANSTAAFL principal applies.

But yeah, Detroit needs to be bulldozed into a hole and returned to agriculture. Its usefulness is long past.


Couple things:

1. The government is creating a massive public safety issue. It is like 900 degrees out and they just cut the water off to thousands of people, all of whom are already disadvantaged and thus unable to really just pick up and leave.

2. Access to water ought to be considered a basic human right. It is outrageous that a modern nation like America or Canada would do something like this, regardless of the culpability of the residents.

3. Get some pride dude. You always rage out about America except for when it counts. You've got a bunch of Americans living in third world conditions. Jesus, how does that not bother you? I feel like the only people who actually give a shit about America's reputation aren't actually American.

Spider's well documented hatred for the poor is typical of him and others like him who think that having 3rd world conditions for some ENHANCES American pride. Rugged individualism and all. Total bullshit. Remember we're talking about the same dude who would throw 80 year old ladies off Medicare cause they're adults and should find there own insurance.

The good news is people like him are countered by lots of Americans who don't buy this nonsense.

I'm a real American patriot who doesn't believe it's acceptable for a quarter of the population in a major American city just have their access to water shut off.

These users thanked the author Philly for the post:
The Dharma Bum
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9422
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 949 times
Been thanked: 1116 times

Re: UN intervention as gov turns off water supply in Detroit

Postby Mr.Bill » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:16 pm

@ Spider and John: The city still picks my garbage.. But now I pay them to do it, where it was free before. Not exactly free, I paid with my taxes, now I pay extra every month...
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 3548
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:13 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 174 times
Been thanked: 227 times

Re: UN intervention as gov turns off water supply in Detroit

Postby Philly » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:35 pm

Mr.Bill wrote:The city still picks my garbage.. But now I pay them to do it, where it was free before. Not exactly free, I paid with my taxes, now I pay extra every month...

Yeah see I dunno why anyone prefers this. What human doesn't produce garbage? Why not pay for it as a community rather than as individuals?
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9422
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 949 times
Been thanked: 1116 times

Re: UN intervention as gov turns off water supply in Detroit

Postby Mr.Bill » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:48 pm

Philly2 wrote:
Mr.Bill wrote:The city still picks my garbage.. But now I pay them to do it, where it was free before. Not exactly free, I paid with my taxes, now I pay extra every month...

Yeah see I dunno why anyone prefers this. What human doesn't produce garbage? Why not pay for it as a community rather than as individuals?


Ok.. That would be fine with me..

I'm just mentioning the water and garbage because as long as I remembered if you lived in a city, those kinds of services were all inclusive. You paid for all of these services through your city taxes.. But now? Nope, except for fire and police I now pay extra for these..
Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 3548
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:13 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 174 times
Been thanked: 227 times

Re: UN intervention as gov turns off water supply in Detroit

Postby John Galt » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:18 pm

Philly2 wrote:
Mr.Bill wrote:The city still picks my garbage.. But now I pay them to do it, where it was free before. Not exactly free, I paid with my taxes, now I pay extra every month...

Yeah see I dunno why anyone prefers this. What human doesn't produce garbage? Why not pay for it as a community rather than as individuals?


because some people produce more

if i have extra beyond my trash bin i have to pay extra
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12403
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 579 times
Been thanked: 1292 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Quote Selected
 

Return to Front Page News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest