[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
SCOTUS confuses Non again... • Page 8 • Front Page News • Political Crossfire Forums

SCOTUS confuses Non again...

Current news and it's political impact.

Re: SCOTUS confuses Non again...

Postby Dylan » Tue May 06, 2014 6:58 am

Dylan
Vice President

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Mr.Bill » Tue May 06, 2014 7:49 am

Mr.Bill
VIP
VIP

Postby Professor » Tue May 06, 2014 7:55 am

Professor
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Professor » Tue May 06, 2014 8:03 am

Professor
VIP
VIP

Postby eynon81 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:37 am

eynon81
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Postby eynon81 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:38 am

eynon81
VIP
VIP

Postby Dylan » Tue May 06, 2014 8:42 am

Dylan
Vice President

Postby Professor » Tue May 06, 2014 8:52 am

But, even if it is "god" with any type of "g", what about Buddhists, who don't really believe in a supreme being? Or other religions that are similar?

Back to my previous post, though. When I was in Catholic school, we went to mass regularly. I am not Catholic, though. So, while they were standing, kneeling, singing, reciting, etc., I just sat there and read whatever was available (bible, hymnal, missal, etc.). I didn't participate. Partly because I was lazy, partly because I didn't know what was going on, and partly because I was skeptical that all the incantations were good for anything (in other words, I didn't believe in their religion). But, by not participating, I was viewed as somewhat of an outsider in that class. Not by students, more by the teachers. When I asked questions (like, if Mary was "perfect" because she had to be without sin in order to have an Immaculate Conception, then was her mother also without sin? And, if so, then what about HER mother? And so on back to Eve. But, Eve committed sin, so the chain must have broken down somewhere - when did it break down and why?) I was chastised for questioning the faith. I was treated as an outsider assaulting their faith, not as a Christian seeking knowledge.

Same thing in a council meeting. If I refuse to participate in the prayer, or leave to not be part of it, I will be viewed as an outsider, and my opinion will be viewed differently.

While it's great to have a religious discussion, I'd like to talk about the real-world ramifications. What happens to "representative government" when my opinion is viewed as less important than my praying neighbor?
Professor
VIP
VIP

Postby eynon81 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:55 am

eynon81
VIP
VIP

Postby Dylan » Tue May 06, 2014 9:00 am

Treasury.

Founders had literally nothing to do with In God We Trust.

Your response to me suggesting that not everybody fits the religious mold implicitly proposed by this saying is thst we live in a pluralistic society? You have it backwards. We do live in a pluralistic society, which is why this one size fits all recitation of religiosity is wrong.
Dylan
Vice President

PreviousNext

Return to Front Page News