UN orders Japan to halt whale hunts

Current news and it's political impact.

Re: UN orders Japan to halt whale hunts

Postby John Galt » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:29 pm

uebermann wrote:
John Galt wrote:they aren't hunting them until they are dead. they are taking hundreds of individuals out of hundreds of thousands, and that's just select species, not "all the whales"

They would expand it and hunt as much as they could. They've already shown that they don't care how the international courts have ruled, don't care what anyone else basically says, they are going to do it. The only reason they don't expand it more (or haven't yet) is because they know everyone would be calling for their heads and finally take some action against them. And the majority of the Japanese people would be pissed off as well since most Japanese do not support commercial whaling in their country.

here's an article about how we're not doing enough, even though species like the humpback isn't o nthe endangered list anymore. but it does mention their uses in space http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 35193.html

Absurd article. Firstly, whales have been around for MILLIONS OF YEARS and survived just fine and dandy without human interference. The only reason whales are having problems now is due to us overfishing. We don't need to kill any whales. At all. If they starve and die, so be it. That is part of the process.

The reason we kill deer (and why they become a nuisance) is because we've killed off most of their predators. Without any predators, they thrive.

my point is simply, they shouldn't be banned for no reason.

Uh, plenty of reasons have been given. Every "reason" you have given on why they shouldn't be banned has been total bullshit. From "tradition" to "space lubricants."

well you're jsut saying it should be abnned, because you like whales. a human life is worth more than all the whales ever to exist in terms of their life being worth anything. the only reason whales matter is because of their utility for humans, be it food or space exploration. there is of course money to be made in tourism, tourism to see whales living and tourism to see whales dying. i don't see what the big deal is

the whaling ban isn't law, it's an agreement freely entered into. japan is only in it because the us bullied them. canada said f**k ya'll and left and japan should too, and resume whaling to their hearts content. i don't know why anyone cares. sure, we don't "need" to kill them, just as we don't "need" to kill any animal. theoretically, you can live a horrible life as a vegan. but why anyone would chose such a horrible life is probably only the result of a brain disorder as meat is delicious. we can't eat whale meat from non-endangered species in this country legally and it's unamerican and wrong. i want a whale burger served to me with an american flag coming out the top of it
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt

These users thanked the author John Galt for the post (total 2):
The Comradeexploited
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby exploited » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:52 pm

:))

This is why we all love you so much Galt.
exploited
Vice President

Postby uebermann » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:44 pm

John Galt wrote:
well you're jsut saying it should be abnned, because you like whales.

Go back and read again. It has little to do with liking whales and much more about the global effect killing whales has. I did say there is an ethics portion of this too, in the fact that they may be self aware, but that has nothing to do with me liking them or not.

a human life is worth more than all the whales ever to exist in terms of their life being worth anything.

I never claimed otherwise and even said that if the whale meat was being used to feed starving people, that would be something to consider. I even said that I understand it being used by Native Americans/Canadians. But thats not the case in Japan.

Another thing to consider, which you are seemingly not, is how killing all these whales end up affecting humans in the long run. Killing off whales very well may cause huge problems in the oceans which means it would cause huge problems for us. Its not exactly wise to start killing off stuff without knowing for sure what the consequences will be. Even doing things like killing off mosquitoes in certain areas has had impacts on local wildlife.

the only reason whales matter is because of their utility for humans

What a narrow and idiotic thing to say. Millions of years whales have been in existence and you claim that their utility was for humans? I didn't know you were a Creationist and are claiming that God put animals on Earth for mankind's usage. Please, go on.

the whaling ban isn't law, it's an agreement freely entered into. japan is only in it because the us bullied them.

Well its not Japan law. But I think they are going to be running into some resistance this go around from someone not on a reality TV show.
uebermann
Site Admin

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Previous

Post a reply

Quote Selected

Return to Front Page News