[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Dear Liberal, here's why I'm so hostile to you • Page 2 • The Soapbox • Political Crossfire Forums

Dear Liberal, here's why I'm so hostile to you

Debate opinion topics of original content.

Re: Dear Liberal, here's why I'm so hostile to you

Postby Dylan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:19 pm

Dylan
Vice President

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby exploited » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:45 pm

I also want to say that I think there is a vast gulf between "liberty" as an ideological term, and "liberty" as in a condition of being that actually exists in the real world, has an impact on your behaviour, etc.

For instance, I could live in some sort of libertarian autocracy, where decisions are made by land-owners, and people have only certain negative rights, and no positive rights. I would have more "ideological" liberty, in that I could contract freely, I could do whatever I wanted to the land I have legal title to, etc. But in terms of actual, real-life liberty, such a system would most certainly result in less liberty. You would be more free in one sense (you can do certain things otherwise not possible in a social democracy), but drastically less free in another sense (the average person would absolutely struggle to maintain a good quality of life, as wealth and power would be concentrated into big landowners, the legal system would be privatized, etc).

All of which points to the idea that more government = less liberty is not axiomatic, but is instead an ideological argument that attempts to ignore the externalizations of a particular ideology.
exploited
Vice President

Postby phosphide » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:26 pm

We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Postby fstarcstar » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:32 pm

These users thanked the author fstarcstar for the post:
Dylan
fstarcstar
Governor

Postby exploited » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:41 pm

exploited
Vice President

Postby Dylan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:59 pm

Dylan
Vice President

Postby Dylan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:00 pm

Dylan
Vice President

Postby phosphide » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:52 pm

We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Previous

Return to The Soapbox