Rick Perry: Guns Should be Allowed in Movie Theaters

Debate opinion topics of original content.

Rick Perry: Guns Should be Allowed in Movie Theaters

Postby SmithSmith » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:00 am

Mere days after the Lafayette theater shootings that injured 11 and killed two people, plus the gunman, Rick Perry says that what we need is more guns around to stop this kind of violence before it escalates.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... aters.html

Oh, brilliant, Perry. Are you sure you're not drunk? If there's anything that will result in a happy ending, it's a room full of trigger-happy yahoos opening fire in a cramped, dark, smoky environment. That will certainly make it easier for the next nut to shoot up a movie theater. Won't even have to sneak it in. Gay rights are sweeping the nation. Gun ownership rights are too. Some people hate one of those freedoms.
Some people hate the other one.
SmithSmith
Council Member

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Re: Rick Perry: Guns Should be Allowed in Movie Theaters

Postby Kane » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:12 am

Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby fstarcstar » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:54 am

I had a friend in college who always brought a gun to a movie, he always told me that he didnt trust going in without it. Concealed carry should be allowed.
fstarcstar
Governor

Postby exploited » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:04 am

fstarcstar wrote:I had a friend in college who always brought a gun to a movie, he always told me that he didnt trust going in without it. Concealed carry should be allowed.

That's literally insane. Such people need to be disarmed so their mental delusions don't get others killed.
exploited
Vice President

Postby fstarcstar » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:38 am

Um no, anyone who thinks they are safe inside an area with such few exits is wrong. I never bring a weapon anywhere, I dont own one. But, concealed carry, like inside a purse or something should be allowed in the event there is an attack. Are you going to start putting metal detectors up on movie theatre doors now? Take our shoes off?
fstarcstar
Governor

Postby exploited » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:48 am

fstarcstar wrote:Um no, anyone who thinks they are safe inside an area with such few exits is wrong. I never bring a weapon anywhere, I dont own one. But, concealed carry, like inside a purse or something should be allowed in the event there is an attack. Are you going to start putting metal detectors up on movie theatre doors now? Take our shoes off?

This is where I'd usually make a list of absurd and insane things that are actually more likely to happen, that you don't defend against because it makes no sense to do so, but I'm feeling lazy today and it's not going to have an impact anyways. So I'll just leave it at this: your friend is delusional and paranoid, and should seek psychiatric help.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Winchester » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:03 am

fstarcstar wrote:Um no, anyone who thinks they are safe inside an area with such few exits is wrong. I never bring a weapon anywhere, I dont own one. But, concealed carry, like inside a purse or something should be allowed in the event there is an attack. Are you going to start putting metal detectors up on movie theatre doors now? Take our shoes off?

It's one of those things I can't quite grasp. If one is really worried about getting shot in a movie theater, why go? Honestly I think for most people carrying a gun just gives them the illusion that they will be safer.
Winchester
Governor

Postby fstarcstar » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:04 am

exploited wrote:
fstarcstar wrote:Um no, anyone who thinks they are safe inside an area with such few exits is wrong. I never bring a weapon anywhere, I don't own one. But, concealed carry, like inside a purse or something should be allowed in the event there is an attack. Are you going to start putting metal detectors up on movie theatre doors now? Take our shoes off?

This is where I'd usually make a list of absurd and insane things that are actually more likely to happen, that you don't defend against because it makes no sense to do so, but I'm feeling lazy today and it's not going to have an impact anyways. So I'll just leave it at this: your friend is delusional and paranoid, and should seek psychiatric help.

We aren't talking an arsenal of weapons here for a movie theatre Exploited. Take off your tin foil hat, and take a look at reality.

This is footage from an internet café. There is hardly any money here, and two guys run in with pistols looking to get valuables or whatever. Old man with a small pistol behind his back pulls it out and saves the day. Now, this is more comparable to a movie theatre, an area where you would least expect to be robbed or shot at. This isn't a gas station where robberies happen all the time. We just saw again, for the countless number of times police were not able to get there quick enough to save lives. The only thing stopping this LA shooter was taking a bullet to his own head.

Video from : youtube.com

Like I said before, this doesn't require an arsenal of weapons, police in each theatre or metal detectors because that's what moronic Americans would do to prevent someone from having a small pistol, Taser or other item in their purse or under their shirt for protection.

There are obviously going to be mistakes or dumb people who bring in guns to theatres, but there are also people who seem hellbent on using innocent moviegoers as victims for their crusade.
fstarcstar
Governor

Postby Philly » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:06 am

What crusade would that be?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Philly
Governor

Postby fstarcstar » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:07 am

Winchester wrote:

It's one of those things I can't quite grasp. If one is really worried about getting shot in a movie theater, why go? Honestly I think for most people carrying a gun just gives them the illusion that they will be safer.

I agree with you, which is why I don't ever have a thought of bringing any time of weapon into a theatre. For others, we just need to look at the flip side. They probably have the idea that the threat of being shot or killed while watching a movie in a pent up theatre with few exits prevents them from safely watching a movie at all.

Unfortunately, the news and guys like this LA shooter have put fear in a lot of people.
fstarcstar
Governor

Next

Return to The Soapbox