Should Nixon's body be exhumed and buried in a landfill?

Items of historical significance.

Re: Should Nixon's body be exhumed and buried in a landfill?

Postby NAB » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:14 am

Philly wrote:
exploited wrote:
Philly wrote:No. In modern times, war crimes, crimes against the public and maybe even crimes against humanity have been synonymous with the office of president.

I'm watching the GOP debate right now and already see a lack of quality, self respecting leaders putting themselves out there to be President. Wouldn't help to put ex-president bodies in landfills.

Also, Nixon was kind of awesome outside of the totally deplorable scumbag piece of shit side of him. Watergate wasn't even a big deal IMO. The treason that cost American lives is only notable because he stepped out of line when he wasn't president yet. While in office, you betray your people all the time for the good of the union, or at least your own distorted concept of that.

He contacted the enemy and convinced them to pull out of peace talks so he could give them a better deal. That isn't politics as usual, that is just basic, undeniable treason. This isn't the same thing as Presidents having to make hard calls - it is a Presidential candidate doing something that killed thousands.

Lyndon Johnson pretty much randomly had a US military vessel invade Vietnam with the intention of it being sunken and its crew killed so he could say we were provoked and use it as a pretense to send thousands more Americans over there to die. You wanna blame Nixon for getting Americans killed to further his political interests, he's not alone. The unique thing about his crime is that he wasn't President so he had no business pulling that shit.

Lyndon Johnson was also awesome BTW.

Have you ever heard or read the transcripts of LBJ ordering pants from Joe Haggar? You don't know how awesome he is until you hear that.

Edit: found it, enjoy

Video from : old youtu.be
Welcome to our speak board web page
NAB
Governor

Postby Dylan » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:46 am

"down where your nuts hang" lol holy shit this is epic.

"It's like riding a wire fence" LOLLLLLLL

"leave me about an inch from where the zipper ends *belches* round under my, back of my, bunghole" LOL wtf

NAB i needed that man. thanks. :)) :))
Dylan
Vice President

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Philly » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:05 pm

NAB wrote:
Philly wrote:
exploited wrote:
Philly wrote:No. In modern times, war crimes, crimes against the public and maybe even crimes against humanity have been synonymous with the office of president.

I'm watching the GOP debate right now and already see a lack of quality, self respecting leaders putting themselves out there to be President. Wouldn't help to put ex-president bodies in landfills.

Also, Nixon was kind of awesome outside of the totally deplorable scumbag piece of shit side of him. Watergate wasn't even a big deal IMO. The treason that cost American lives is only notable because he stepped out of line when he wasn't president yet. While in office, you betray your people all the time for the good of the union, or at least your own distorted concept of that.

He contacted the enemy and convinced them to pull out of peace talks so he could give them a better deal. That isn't politics as usual, that is just basic, undeniable treason. This isn't the same thing as Presidents having to make hard calls - it is a Presidential candidate doing something that killed thousands.

Lyndon Johnson pretty much randomly had a US military vessel invade Vietnam with the intention of it being sunken and its crew killed so he could say we were provoked and use it as a pretense to send thousands more Americans over there to die. You wanna blame Nixon for getting Americans killed to further his political interests, he's not alone. The unique thing about his crime is that he wasn't President so he had no business pulling that shit.

Lyndon Johnson was also awesome BTW.

Have you ever heard or read the transcripts of LBJ ordering pants from Joe Haggar? You don't know how awesome he is until you hear that.

Edit: found it, enjoy

Video from : old youtu.be

Yep. I have heard this classic gem before. LBJ is the shit.
Philly
Governor

Postby exploited » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:06 pm

Philly wrote:What title would you strip from this dead man? Former President? That wouldn't be punishing Nixon, it would just be an attempt to distort history.

The fundamental disconnect between our perspectives is that I would say this should be noted in the history books, in a way that characterizes how ruthless and callous Nixon was, to criminally betray America to a foreign enemy in order to help him become president of that same America. It's also less relevant but still interesting to note that the war destroyed LBJ yet the American people were actually duped into voting for a guy who was willing to commit high crimes behind the scenes to keep the war from ending.

I don't want to dig up his corpse. I don't want to change his title (still don't know what you mean by that) and I also don't want to tunnel vision on this incident to the point that we ignore the rest of Nixon's whole political career, which is an important part of modern history.

It sounds like you are extremely frustrated that you can't punish Nixon for this because he's already dead, so you are just grasping at straws for something to do and say "take that!"

This will make its way into the mainstream historical narrative eventually. It takes time for some reason. We've known that Thomas Jefferson raped his slaves since like forever but it was t really acknowledged in mainstream history til more recently. Other than that nothing to be done.

I'm inclined to agree with you now. It would be as silly and pointless as having Congress apologize for slavery, or posthumously removing war medals from war criminals, or any other applicable symbolic gesture. And if this happened, history would change and nobody would look into Nixon more than to find out he has been condemned and posthumously charged and convicted of treason.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Philly » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:17 pm

A lawlyer should pop in here, but I don't think you can charge dead people with crimes. They're unable to mount a defense, seeing as they are dead, so it isn't a fair trial.
Philly
Governor

Postby NAB » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:44 pm

Philly wrote:A lawlyer should pop in here, but I don't think you can charge dead people with crimes. They're unable to mount a defense, seeing as they are dead, so it isn't a fair trial.

Sometimes the dead can vote, so I think they could also be charged with crimes on occasion.
Welcome to our speak board web page
NAB
Governor

Postby exploited » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:46 pm

NAB wrote:
Philly wrote:A lawlyer should pop in here, but I don't think you can charge dead people with crimes. They're unable to mount a defense, seeing as they are dead, so it isn't a fair trial.

Sometimes the dead can vote, so I think they could also be charged with crimes on occasion.

They can certainly be charged. Some cops did it to a dead copkiller not long ago.

In any case, even an acknowledgement by Congress, officially, that Nixon committed what can only be called treason... That's be a good start. Presidents cherish their legacies. Maybe knowing that these things are on the line indefinitely will make them more forward looking.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Dylan » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:04 pm

correct sir. additionally it's a waste of judicial resources since they're dead and all.

can sue people's estates though. civil.
Dylan
Vice President

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Philly » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:21 pm

exploited wrote:
NAB wrote:

They can certainly be charged. Some cops did it to a dead copkiller not long ago.

In any case, even an acknowledgement by Congress, officially, that Nixon committed what can only be called treason... That's be a good start. Presidents cherish their legacies. Maybe knowing that these things are on the line indefinitely will make them more forward looking.

Yes, seeing Nixon's previously irreproachable legacy get destroyed by this recent revelation is sure to scare them all straight

Seriously ex, Nixon is already a reviled figure in US history. You have suggested digging up his body (weirdo), charging him with a crime 20 years after his death (invalid, confirmed by Dylan, Esq), and now having Congress declare him a traitor (Congress could pass a resolution stating their opinion that he is a traitor, but they can't use some kind of congression power to find him guilty of treason, besides which he has been dead for 20 years).
Last edited by Philly on Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philly
Governor

Postby exploited » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:24 pm

Philly wrote:
exploited wrote:
NAB wrote:

Yes, seeing Nixon's previously irreproachable legacy get destroyed by this recent revelation is sure to scare them all straight

The issue being that these things are never officially acknowledged. I know that you don't particularly care for gestures, which is why you don't support apologizing for slavery, but the truth is that they do have a substantial impact. For instance, the Nuremberg Trials. There was never any question that the top Nazi leadership would be executed. Never at all. But the impact of holding a trial and showing the evidence and demonstrating what happened was formidable. Or go way back, when various British monarchs were dug up and fed to the birds in the open air. Are you saying that had no influence on how monarchs behaved in the future? Please.

You're not gonna keep on doing this poor Galt impression, are you?
exploited
Vice President

PreviousNext

Return to History