150 years later

Items of historical significance.

150 years later

Postby John Galt » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:59 am

Image

it's now been 150 years since appomattox court house and Lee's surrender to Grant

the bloodiest conflict in american history seems like so long ago, but 150 years is not the long at all
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12037
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 565 times
Been thanked: 1248 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: 150 years later

Postby Dylan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:03 am

And the South still sucks.

We have failed the South by not working harder to bring them up to the standards of civilized society. Northerners everywhere should bow their heads in shame.
Image
User avatar
Dylan
Vice President
 
Posts: 10741
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:34 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 1038 times
Been thanked: 916 times
Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Re: 150 years later

Postby Winchester » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:34 pm

John Galt wrote:the bloodiest conflict in american history seems like so long ago, but 150 years is not the long at all


I have a great grandfather that was alive during the civil war. He was in his 90's when my mom was born.
User avatar
Winchester
Governor
 
Posts: 5387
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 718 times
Been thanked: 769 times

Re: 150 years later

Postby John Galt » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:41 pm

Winchester wrote:
John Galt wrote:the bloodiest conflict in american history seems like so long ago, but 150 years is not the long at all


I have a great grandfather that was alive during the civil war. He was in his 90's when my mom was born.


one of my great grandfathers was born in 1858, died 1948. his son, my grandfather, was born in 1917.
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12037
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 565 times
Been thanked: 1248 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: 150 years later

Postby NAB » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:00 pm

Dylan wrote:And the South still sucks.

We have failed the South by not working harder to bring them up to the standards of civilized society. Northerners everywhere should bow their heads in shame.



Clearly, you aren't familiar with the term carpetbagger and the derogatory tone it is spoken with Yankee.
Welcome to our speak board web page
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 7506
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 1058 times

Re: 150 years later

Postby Winchester » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:12 pm

John Galt wrote:
Winchester wrote:
John Galt wrote:the bloodiest conflict in american history seems like so long ago, but 150 years is not the long at all


I have a great grandfather that was alive during the civil war. He was in his 90's when my mom was born.


one of my great grandfathers was born in 1858, died 1948. his son, my grandfather, was born in 1917.


The older one gets the more one realizes 150 years is nothing. My great grandfather was born 1850ish, my grandmother 12th of 17 kids was born in 1912 and my mom was born 1943. Needless to say that great grandfather passed long before I came into being. However my grandfather on my dad's side is going to be 98 in a couple of months obviously born in 1917 like yours. Boggles the mind being almost a century old... the changes he's seen in his life. I think he was almost 20 before they got electricity out to where they lived and he was one of the guys manning the single diesel generator that powered the town.
User avatar
Winchester
Governor
 
Posts: 5387
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 718 times
Been thanked: 769 times

Re: 150 years later

Postby Stratego » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:02 pm

John Galt wrote:the bloodiest conflict in american history seems like so long ago, but 150 years is not the long at all


So what you're saying is that the South can still revolt at any time.

But which side would Florida be in? It has the hospitality of the North and the social progressive of the South.
Sigmund Freud defined four parts of a psyche; the id, the ego, the superego and the stratego. The Stratego being the highest form of morality and scientific thinking.

If guns are not outlawed, the in-laws will have guns.
User avatar
Stratego
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:27 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 554 times

Re: 150 years later

Postby eynon81 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:10 pm

NAB wrote:
Dylan wrote:And the South still sucks.

We have failed the South by not working harder to bring them up to the standards of civilized society. Northerners everywhere should bow their heads in shame.



Clearly, you aren't familiar with the term carpetbagger and the derogatory tone it is spoken with Yankee.



-the Southern middle-class war virtually killed off.

-Confederate veterans flocked to Chicago and California after the war.

-Ted Cruz and Louise Gohmert are f**k yankees.
User avatar
eynon81
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 19475
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Golden, Colorado
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3875 times
Been thanked: 1821 times
Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Re: 150 years later

Postby The Comrade » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:13 pm

sherman didn't go far enough tbh
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
The Comrade
Vice President
 
Posts: 18066
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Yugoslavia
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1192 times
Been thanked: 1823 times
Political Leaning: Socialist

Re: 150 years later

Postby eynon81 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:36 pm

The Comrade wrote:sherman didn't go far enough tbh



Grant did.

Confederate states had a population of 5,447,220 whites in 1860.

new research has as many as 850,000 soldiers dying during the war.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/scien ... .html?_r=0

maybe 8% of the Southern white population died during the war.

that's nearly twice the % of population France lost in WW1, almost the same % Germany lost in WW2. The Southern Yeomanry ceased to exist. Grant killed them.
User avatar
eynon81
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 19475
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Golden, Colorado
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3875 times
Been thanked: 1821 times
Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Next

Return to History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest