The First President of the United States

Items of historical significance.

The First President of the United States

Postby Southern Dad » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:37 am

Ever hear of President John Hanson? Most haven't. John Hanson was unanimously chosen by our congress, including George Washington to be the first president. He took office as the Revolutionary War ended. During his short term, he faced a possible overthrow of the government by our own troops. The congress ran for their lives leaving the new president to figure it out. It seems that we hadn't paid our military and didn't have the funds available to do it. He ordered all foreign soldiers out of the USA, established the Great Seal which is still used to this day and demanded the removal of all foreign flags. He established the Department of the Treasury, set Thanksgiving Day and set up a Foreign Affairs Department. He had a busy year in office.

There were eight Presidents to serve before George Washington. Just an interesting fact to share.

These users thanked the author Southern Dad for the post:
The Dharma Bum
User avatar
Southern Dad
Senator
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:40 am
Location: The Peach State
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 113 times
Political Leaning: Conservative

Re: The First President of the United States

Postby Saz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:42 am

Eh, he served under the article of confederation, not the united states constitution.
Pun intended for the plebes on here who don't get a joke
User avatar
Saz
Governor
 
Posts: 8329
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:37 am
Location: Airstrip One
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1057 times
Been thanked: 884 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: The First President of the United States

Postby Southern Dad » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:50 am

Saz wrote:Eh, he served under the article of confederation, not the united states constitution.


But was he not President of the United States? If we wrote a new Constitution tomorrow would we forget the 43 men that served as President under this one?
User avatar
Southern Dad
Senator
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:40 am
Location: The Peach State
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 113 times
Political Leaning: Conservative

Re: The First President of the United States

Postby Saz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:57 am

Southern Dad wrote:
Saz wrote:Eh, he served under the article of confederation, not the united states constitution.


But was he not President of the United States? If we wrote a new Constitution tomorrow would we forget the 43 men that served as President under this one?


No, he wasn't. President of the united states is a position created by the constitution.
Pun intended for the plebes on here who don't get a joke
User avatar
Saz
Governor
 
Posts: 8329
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:37 am
Location: Airstrip One
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1057 times
Been thanked: 884 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: The First President of the United States

Postby Southern Dad » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:15 am

Saz wrote:No, he wasn't. President of the united states is a position created by the constitution.


Okay, so rather than discuss the first eight Presidents, I've got an idea... Let's dick around and say they weren't presidents even though they were given that title by our government. Pardon me from trying to spark a little interesting conversation about something from history.
User avatar
Southern Dad
Senator
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:40 am
Location: The Peach State
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 113 times
Political Leaning: Conservative

Re: The First President of the United States

Postby Philly » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:23 am

These guys were really the Presidnt of Congress, which seams more like Speaker to me.
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9374
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 946 times
Been thanked: 1106 times

Re: The First President of the United States

Postby Southern Dad » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:28 am

Philly2 wrote:These guys were really the Presidnt of Congress, which seams more like Speaker to me.


Maybe but does the Speaker have the responsibility to quell our troops from overthrowing the government? Does the Speaker have the authority to expel all foreign troops from our lands? Call it what you want. Many historians refer to the eight as The Forgotten Presidents. I merely thought it might be interesting to discuss them. John Hanson served a one year term and accomplished a lot. But we can degrade him down to a Nancy Pelosi or John Boehner status.

May I ask, who was the Executive of our country during this period, if not these eight men? President George Washington didn't take office until 1789.
User avatar
Southern Dad
Senator
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:40 am
Location: The Peach State
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 113 times
Political Leaning: Conservative

Re: The First President of the United States

Postby Philly » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:20 am

"Under the Articles of Confederation, the United States had no executive branch; the president of Congress was a mostly ceremonial position, but the office did require Hanson to handle a good deal of correspondence and sign official documents."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hanso ... f_Congress
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9374
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 946 times
Been thanked: 1106 times

Re: The First President of the United States

Postby Decypher » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:23 am

Southern Dad wrote:
Saz wrote:No, he wasn't. President of the united states is a position created by the constitution.


Okay, so rather than discuss the first eight Presidents, I've got an idea... Let's dick around and say they weren't presidents even though they were given that title by our government. Pardon me from trying to spark a little interesting conversation about something from history.


So who were the eight and when did they serve?
User avatar
Decypher
Mayor
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:22 am
Location: Dublin
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Political Leaning: Socialist

Re: The First President of the United States

Postby Winchester » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:28 am

Southern Dad wrote:Ever hear of President John Hanson? Most haven't. John Hanson was unanimously chosen by our congress, including George Washington to be the first president. He took office as the Revolutionary War ended. During his short term, he faced a possible overthrow of the government by our own troops. The congress ran for their lives leaving the new president to figure it out. It seems that we hadn't paid our military and didn't have the funds available to do it. He ordered all foreign soldiers out of the USA, established the Great Seal which is still used to this day and demanded the removal of all foreign flags. He established the Department of the Treasury, set Thanksgiving Day and set up a Foreign Affairs Department. He had a busy year in office.

There were eight Presidents to serve before George Washington. Just an interesting fact to share.


My history teacher sucked (well actually he didn't but the text books did). I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard of John Hanson or the 7 other people before George Washington or if I did I forgot about them.
User avatar
Winchester
Governor
 
Posts: 5387
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 718 times
Been thanked: 769 times

Next

Return to History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest