[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Minorities in Medieval Europe • History • Political Crossfire Forums

Minorities in Medieval Europe

Items of historical significance.

Minorities in Medieval Europe

Postby Esin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:45 am

I am working on a piece of fiction where the various nations are inspired by Medical European populations. Rather than go with the major stereotypical populations that most people tend to draw influence from (AKA Germany, France, Russia, Etc) I would like to highlight some of Medieval Europe's lesser known minorities/populations.

The Volhynian Hetmanate (based off of Ukrainian Cassocks)
The Gitani Kaale (Romani/Gypsy: haven’t decided what nationality, maybe Italian, French or Hungarian.)
The Kingdom of Tengria ( Draws heavily on the Kingdom of Khazaria & Medieval European Jewish Diaspora)

Actually so far it looks like I could do the whole thing drawing solely on Eastern European populations, but I am willing to consider any suggestions. Other ideas might include Moors, Gnostics, etc. I am trying to avoid even medium sized modern populations such as Czechs, but sub-populations within a major community would be great. So for example, Spain would be a no no, but Basque would be a go!
Esin
Citizen

Political Leaning: Slightly Liberal

Re: Minorities in Medieval Europe

Postby eynon81 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:51 am

Awesome. Eastern European history is epic!

maybe the Ole' Prussians. I had no idea about them until I read a book about the Northern Crusades. I was all like "the Prussians are Slavs? huh..."
eynon81
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Postby The Dharma Bum » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:55 am

How about the Cathars and other religious minorities?
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Esin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:56 am

Eynon, great suggestion, but I am not sure how I could differentiate the Prussians from the Cassocks in an interesting and meaningful way..
Esin
Citizen

Postby The Dharma Bum » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:57 am

The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Postby Esin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:12 am

Dharma, ohh I like that! I was not familiar with them but that's a great way to incorporate Gnosticism (which I had always associated it with France and the Mediterranean/Near Eastern Byzantine populatians such Egypt.

These users thanked the author Esin for the post:
The Dharma Bum
Esin
Citizen

Postby Esin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:18 am

And actually I am thinking of synchronizing minority populations with minority religions. An example would be having the Volhynian Hetmanate's population/culture drawing from Cossack culture/history, while their religion draws heavily from Gnosticism rather than their traditional Orthodox Christianity.
Esin
Citizen

Postby PoS » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:25 am

Would you consider Eastern minorities like the Ummayads, Hashashin, Avars and the Jews and their golems?

The Picts in Scotland would be cool too.

PoS
Governor

Political Leaning: Fascist Libertarian

Postby Esin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:57 am

I don't want to go toooo far out of Europe/Eastern Europe for direct cultural inspiration, but I might be able to combine a group's history from the middle east with a culture from Eastern Europe. Actually, on second that I think I'd rather stay away from non European groups just because it opens up a whole new can of worms and I want it to stay fairly focused.
Esin
Citizen

Postby The Dharma Bum » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:28 am

The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Next

Return to History