The rise and decline of great powers

Items of historical significance.

Re: The rise and decline of great powers

Postby The Dharma Bum » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:17 pm

I'm sorry you are offended but I don't think I said anyone thought that.

My actual statement was as follows:
"If you think we came here and there was nothing because the inhabitants were ignorant savages you couldn't be more wrong." in response to a statement to the effect that Amerinds on the eastern seaboard had some agriculture but not enough industry to be of consequence in the face of greater forces of productivity.

I think that is a valid comment in the face of an attempt to minimize the destruction the "birth of our nation" caused. The truth is America is not exceptional and the faster that Americans come to accept that fact the better the better off they will be.
Image
User avatar
The Dharma Bum
Vice President
 
Posts: 11594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3285 times
Been thanked: 617 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: The rise and decline of great powers

Postby eynon81 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:16 am

The Dharma Bum wrote:It was the result of planting on rich river deltas etc and stripping them before moving on instead of building sustainable agriculture techniques.
that's a f**k lie.
Image

see that map? see where the dust bowl was? right in the heart of the Comancheria. High.Dry.Arid. No one was farming these areas before the home-steaders because it's not natural farm land.

And the indigenous population managed their forests extensively, which is why there was abundant game to hunt for their food.
no, there was abundant game because of the indiginous population collapse during the 16th and early 17th century. fyi...there is still abundant game.

If you think we came here and there was nothing because the inhabitants were ignorant savages you couldn't be more wrong.
you know I don't think that.

The truth is our ancestors didn't know what they were looking at before they destroyed it. (yet we copied their idea for a constitution to guarantee an egalitarian society.)
another f**k lie.

The US was almost predicated entirely on the taking of accumulated primitive capital, not "yankee ingenuity" or a "protestant work ethic". Those concepts are cultural myths.
read this: Image

That is an undeniable fact.
I just denied it (drops mic)
User avatar
eynon81
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 19475
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Golden, Colorado
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3875 times
Been thanked: 1821 times
Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Re: The rise and decline of great powers

Postby eynon81 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:21 am

The Dharma Bum wrote:I'm sorry you are offended but I don't think I said anyone thought that.

My actual statement was as follows:
"If you think we came here and there was nothing because the inhabitants were ignorant savages you couldn't be more wrong." in response to a statement to the effect that Amerinds on the eastern seaboard had some agriculture but not enough industry to be of consequence in the face of greater forces of productivity.
read this:
Image
or this:
Image
The Northern-European colonists were essentially walking into a Ghost-town when they began to colonize North America.

I think that is a valid comment in the face of an attempt to minimize the destruction the "birth of our nation" caused. The truth is America is not exceptional and the faster that Americans come to accept that fact the better the better off they will be.


I did a pod cast on this.

Look, if you want to talk about the Anglo-Saxon conquest of North America that's great, I love the subject, but no more sound-bites.
User avatar
eynon81
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 19475
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Golden, Colorado
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3875 times
Been thanked: 1821 times
Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Re: The rise and decline of great powers

Postby The Dharma Bum » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:24 am

I actually wrote a long response here about how Europeans essentially invaded the remnants of North American apocalypse but it got sponched and I didn't feel like rewriting.

How funny.
Image
User avatar
The Dharma Bum
Vice President
 
Posts: 11594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3285 times
Been thanked: 617 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: The rise and decline of great powers

Postby PoS » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am

If youre gonna blame something for the decimation of the native peoples of America, blame the black death- it made Europeans hardier in terms of disease resistance and thats what ultimately enabled them to successfully colonize North and South America and eventually the world.
the reactionaries
Image
User avatar
PoS
Governor
 
Posts: 4266
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:50 pm
Location: Oceania
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 495 times
Been thanked: 309 times
Political Leaning: Fascist Libertarian

Re: The rise and decline of great powers

Postby NAB » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:37 am

The Dharma Bum wrote:I actually wrote a long response here about how Europeans essentially invaded the remnants of North American apocalypse but it got sponched and I didn't feel like rewriting.

How funny.


I already had a 5 page counter-response prepared for you, but I accidentially closed my browser window. It would have decimated your response.
Welcome to our speak board web page
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 7584
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 1080 times

Re: The rise and decline of great powers

Postby The Dharma Bum » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:43 am

I fail to see any relevance to your denial. That is a book about the civil war.

The forced harvest of primitive accumulation of thousands of years of production by the industrialized nations, through enclosure, slavery, and imperialism is a well documented anthropological fact. You may as well tell me that George Washington couldn't tell a lie or something as a counter argument

As for the origin of of the US constitution:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Law_of_Peace

And the only reason any wildlife coexists with humanity now is or then is because of extensive wildlife management. Another thing we learned from Amerindians (this goes far beyond showing colonists how to plant corn)

You say you don't think Amerinds were ignorant savages but then attempt to completely minimize their many contributions to our society as if they never existed.
Image
User avatar
The Dharma Bum
Vice President
 
Posts: 11594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3285 times
Been thanked: 617 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: The rise and decline of great powers

Postby The Dharma Bum » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:46 am

PoS wrote:If youre gonna blame something for the decimation of the native peoples of America, blame the black death- it made Europeans hardier in terms of disease resistance and thats what ultimately enabled them to successfully colonize North and South America and eventually the world.


No I'm going to go ahead and blame Europeans. I don't really care if it hurts the feelings of their descendents to hear the truth about their f**k up history.
Image
User avatar
The Dharma Bum
Vice President
 
Posts: 11594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3285 times
Been thanked: 617 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: The rise and decline of great powers

Postby The Dharma Bum » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:47 am

NAB wrote:
The Dharma Bum wrote:I actually wrote a long response here about how Europeans essentially invaded the remnants of North American apocalypse but it got sponched and I didn't feel like rewriting.

How funny.


I already had a 5 page counter-response prepared for you, but I accidentially closed my browser window. It would have decimated your response.


Why are you a mod? It's laughable.
Image
User avatar
The Dharma Bum
Vice President
 
Posts: 11594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3285 times
Been thanked: 617 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: The rise and decline of great powers

Postby NAB » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:48 am

The Dharma Bum wrote:
PoS wrote:If youre gonna blame something for the decimation of the native peoples of America, blame the black death- it made Europeans hardier in terms of disease resistance and thats what ultimately enabled them to successfully colonize North and South America and eventually the world.


No I'm going to go ahead and blame Europeans. I don't really care if it hurts the feelings of their descendents to hear the truth about their f**k up history.


Most Americans have a lot of both in their blood. For instance, many of my Cherokee ancestors were involved in the last Indian massacre in East Texas. There's a strong possibility that they killed some of my other ancestors of English decent.

Planks and logs are in many eyes.
Welcome to our speak board web page
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 7584
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 1080 times

PreviousNext

Return to History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest