Vegas Shooting

The place for general political discussion.

Re: Vegas Shooting

Postby NAB » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:25 pm

John Galt wrote:Concealed carry people are weird and very insecure in general. A gun is a great equalizer for such people. Mass hysteria from this bizarre idea that crime is rampant fuels their insecurities. Women in general feel less secure; I've never thought "oh I might get raped" doing x or y, but plenty of women feel this way. Legitimate or not, fear is what drives conceal carry.


While Bowling for Columbine was ham-fisted and hyperbolic at best, the point Moore made about fear and xenophobia being at the heart of our gun culture was a salient one.
Welcome to our speak board web page
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 7584
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 1080 times

Re: Vegas Shooting

Postby NAB » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:32 pm

John Galt wrote:The note found in the room wasn't a suicide note nor a manifesto. It was calculations for ranges and bullet drop from elevation so he knew where to aim for most effective shots


Add yet another off-putting clue in trying to discover intent behind why that guy did it. Perplexing doesn't begin to cover it.

The only thing I've heard from his past history that might be a clue of some mental problem was serious aversion to any chemicals or drugs. He wouldn't take high blood pressure mess because of it, which is why he no longer flies planes.
Welcome to our speak board web page
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 7584
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 1080 times

Re: Vegas Shooting

Postby exploited » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:03 am

NAB wrote:
John Galt wrote:The note found in the room wasn't a suicide note nor a manifesto. It was calculations for ranges and bullet drop from elevation so he knew where to aim for most effective shots


Add yet another off-putting clue in trying to discover intent behind why that guy did it. Perplexing doesn't begin to cover it.

The only thing I've heard from his past history that might be a clue of some mental problem was serious aversion to any chemicals or drugs. He wouldn't take high blood pressure mess because of it, which is why he no longer flies planes.


You haven't actually said what you think yet.

Where do you stand in re: the Second Amendment?
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 20958
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2197 times
Been thanked: 1702 times

Re: Vegas Shooting

Postby John Galt » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:07 am

NAB wrote:
John Galt wrote:The note found in the room wasn't a suicide note nor a manifesto. It was calculations for ranges and bullet drop from elevation so he knew where to aim for most effective shots


Add yet another off-putting clue in trying to discover intent behind why that guy did it. Perplexing doesn't begin to cover it.

The only thing I've heard from his past history that might be a clue of some mental problem was serious aversion to any chemicals or drugs. He wouldn't take high blood pressure mess because of it, which is why he no longer flies planes.


From what I read he had severe allergies and couldn't take the meds? But I could have read it in a tabloid site so this is dubious. I had also read he was prescribed Valium a few months ago. Maybe having some anxiety to stop oneself from doing horrible things is a good thing....

For motivation, I wonder if he was simply bored, and just looking for some excitement in his life. He was gambling and drinking a lot before this. Maybe he killed himself because spraying thousands of bullets at people still didn't excite him.

Or maybe he could no longer differentiate between fantasy and reality. Many americans are afflicted by this problem -- the fact that he was a winning gambler may have fed such delusions. So even if I said "jesus christ, just play some online shooters if you want to shoot people" it wouldn't have been good enough if he no longer could tell real from fantasy. It's worth noting he was in one of Fantasyland's main attractions when he committed this crime.

The autopsy may shed light as well; it could have been brain cancer
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12335
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 577 times
Been thanked: 1283 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Vegas Shooting

Postby Winchester » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:59 am

John Galt wrote:i don't think you should shove semi-automatics into the same class as automatics. full auto should meet stricter requirements. basically you're encouraging people to buy fully automatic weapons IMO by requiring getting the same permit for a machine gun and a handgun


Semi-autos with detachable magazines, not all semi-autos, want to exempt semi-auto handguns, okay. I really don't see a significant difference between semi-auto rifles with detachable magazines and full-auto as far unleashing mayhem... and there is little that can be done if someone wants to convert a semi-auto to something similar to full auto so require them to be registered and require the owners to have a class III licence.

And no I'm not requiring the same permit for machine guns and a handguns, however if one already has a class III it ought to cover handguns. No class III a CCW or equivalent ought to be adequate and no need to register handguns, just the owners.

Would it do something to stop a Vegas type shooting, don't know, but with the number of semi-auto rifles with detachable magazines registered in his possession it would have put him on somebody's radar.
User avatar
Winchester
Governor
 
Posts: 5503
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 746 times
Been thanked: 785 times

Re: Vegas Shooting

Postby NAB » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:50 pm

exploited wrote:
NAB wrote:
John Galt wrote:The note found in the room wasn't a suicide note nor a manifesto. It was calculations for ranges and bullet drop from elevation so he knew where to aim for most effective shots


Add yet another off-putting clue in trying to discover intent behind why that guy did it. Perplexing doesn't begin to cover it.

The only thing I've heard from his past history that might be a clue of some mental problem was serious aversion to any chemicals or drugs. He wouldn't take high blood pressure mess because of it, which is why he no longer flies planes.


You haven't actually said what you think yet.

Where do you stand in re: the Second Amendment?


I'm not a fan of rampant gun proliferation under the guise of "freedom".
Welcome to our speak board web page
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 7584
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 1080 times

Re: Vegas Shooting

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:22 pm

With the hardware that guy seemed to have, its actually a wonder the body count wasn't much higher.
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor
 
Posts: 4832
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:54 am
Location: cyberspace
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 268 times

Re: Vegas Shooting

Postby John Galt » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:53 pm

Winchester wrote:
John Galt wrote:i don't think you should shove semi-automatics into the same class as automatics. full auto should meet stricter requirements. basically you're encouraging people to buy fully automatic weapons IMO by requiring getting the same permit for a machine gun and a handgun


Semi-autos with detachable magazines, not all semi-autos, want to exempt semi-auto handguns, okay. I really don't see a significant difference between semi-auto rifles with detachable magazines and full-auto as far unleashing mayhem... and there is little that can be done if someone wants to convert a semi-auto to something similar to full auto so require them to be registered and require the owners to have a class III licence.

And no I'm not requiring the same permit for machine guns and a handguns, however if one already has a class III it ought to cover handguns. No class III a CCW or equivalent ought to be adequate and no need to register handguns, just the owners.

Would it do something to stop a Vegas type shooting, don't know, but with the number of semi-auto rifles with detachable magazines registered in his possession it would have put him on somebody's radar.


are you suggesting something like this

TYPEBACKGROUND CHECKGUN SAFETY COURSEGUN REGISTRATIONMAY-ISSUE STATE PERMITTAX STAMP (FEDERAL)
Internal magazine semi automatics, bolt, and pump action long guns
Semi automatics with detachable magazines, all handguns regardless of action
Conceal Carry
Machine Guns, Explosives, Sawed off Shotguns
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12335
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 577 times
Been thanked: 1283 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Vegas Shooting

Postby Winchester » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:24 pm

John Galt wrote:
Winchester wrote:
John Galt wrote:i don't think you should shove semi-automatics into the same class as automatics. full auto should meet stricter requirements. basically you're encouraging people to buy fully automatic weapons IMO by requiring getting the same permit for a machine gun and a handgun


Semi-autos with detachable magazines, not all semi-autos, want to exempt semi-auto handguns, okay. I really don't see a significant difference between semi-auto rifles with detachable magazines and full-auto as far unleashing mayhem... and there is little that can be done if someone wants to convert a semi-auto to something similar to full auto so require them to be registered and require the owners to have a class III licence.

And no I'm not requiring the same permit for machine guns and a handguns, however if one already has a class III it ought to cover handguns. No class III a CCW or equivalent ought to be adequate and no need to register handguns, just the owners.

Would it do something to stop a Vegas type shooting, don't know, but with the number of semi-auto rifles with detachable magazines registered in his possession it would have put him on somebody's radar.


are you suggesting something like this

TYPEBACKGROUND CHECKGUN SAFETY COURSEGUN REGISTRATIONMAY-ISSUE STATE PERMITTAX STAMP (FEDERAL)
Internal magazine semi automatics, bolt, and pump action long guns
Semi automatics with detachable magazines, all handguns regardless of action
Conceal Carry
Machine Guns, Explosives, Sawed off Shotguns


Close except move semi-autos with detachable magazines (rifles, I've changed my mind on semi-handguns) down with machine guns. No gun safety course on line one. No registration except for machine guns etc. Handguns can get their own category, no registration but it should be a federal shall-issue vs may-issue. If one has a higher permit, such as a Tax-Stamp approval or state CCW license one doesn't need a shall-issue federal permit for handguns. .22s/.17s etc rimfires of any variety can go in category one.
User avatar
Winchester
Governor
 
Posts: 5503
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 746 times
Been thanked: 785 times

Re: Vegas Shooting

Postby John Galt » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:53 pm

hmmm. i'd put handguns at stricter than rifles with semi-automatics with detachable magazines, but i could compromise at same level. however, i think that's lower than machine guns.

i dunno, a sks or a garand you can reload pretty quickly with a stripper or an enbloc. unmodded sks has an internal mag of 10 and reloads with a stripper clip in about a second; you can carry more rounds on you (in terms of bulk) with bandolier of stripper clips versus detachable mags, like 3 times as much in each

instead i'd look at throwing high capacity mags in the top bracket, which itself could have different levels on the tax stamp. basically it would allow people who do things like run gun ranges where people can rent machine guns to fire off hundreds of rounds in seconds, but only in the controlled environment, while typical civilians are limited to detachable mags of ~10
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12335
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 577 times
Been thanked: 1283 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron