Catalonian Independence

The place for general political discussion.

Re: Catalonian Independence

Postby Kane » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:22 am

John Galt wrote:
Spider wrote:Ok. So what now? It's not as if they can fight off Spain. They have no allies willing to help them fight off Spain. Are they planning on hunger strikes and strongly worded letters?

If Catalonia gets its independence, it won't be because of Catalans...it will be at Spain's pleasure.


spain will invoke §155 of the Constitution

If a Self-governing Community does not fulfil the obligations imposed upon it by the Constitution or other laws, or acts in a way that is seriously prejudicial to the general interest of Spain, the Government, after having lodged a complaint with the President of the Self-governing Community and failed to receive satisfaction therefore, may, following approval granted by the overall majority of the Senate, take all measures necessary to compel the Community to meet said obligations, or to protect the abovementioned general interest.


so basically, goodbye Catalonian government. the only way forward for you is to do it american style. right now, it looks grim. but who knows, maybe they've been importing ARs for years and hiding them from authorities. brings a tear to my eye thinking about all that freedom

either way, historical time


This probably could've been avoided had the Spanish government not sought to suppress a relatively meaningless vote. Wow what a monumental f**k.

I can see that already being printed in history books.
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
User avatar
Kane
Governor
 
Posts: 7313
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:09 pm
Location: The Yay
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 299 times
Been thanked: 498 times
Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Re: Catalonian Independence

Postby John Galt » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:41 am

ToddStarnes wrote:In the 90s I remember vaguely thinking "why doesn't anything interesting happen like I read about in history books."

Oh sweet summer child


oh i get it you're referencing a book from the 90s which itself is talking about the naivety of youth when talking about yourself as young and naive, frolicking under the tuscan sun, which itself was also in the 90s

speaking of, it's snowing here. strange independence day.
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12349
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 577 times
Been thanked: 1284 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Catalonian Independence

Postby Kane » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:05 pm

Nice and sunny here.

Video from : youtu.be
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
User avatar
Kane
Governor
 
Posts: 7313
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:09 pm
Location: The Yay
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 299 times
Been thanked: 498 times
Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Re: Catalonian Independence

Postby spacemonkey » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:12 pm

There still talking that secession crap in California. But only after the fires are put out, and hopefully before the big one hits LA or SF.
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor
 
Posts: 4834
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:54 am
Location: cyberspace
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 268 times

Re: Catalonian Independence

Postby ToddStarnes » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:23 pm

John Galt wrote:
ToddStarnes wrote:In the 90s I remember vaguely thinking "why doesn't anything interesting happen like I read about in history books."

Oh sweet summer child


oh i get it you're referencing a book from the 90s which itself is talking about the naivety of youth when talking about yourself as young and naive, frolicking under the tuscan sun, which itself was also in the 90s

speaking of, it's snowing here. strange independence day.

Alas I don't believe I set foot in dear Tuscany until the 2010s.
ToddStarnes
Senator
 
Posts: 1918
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:11 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Catalonian Independence

Postby Kane » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:56 pm

spacemonkey wrote:There still talking that secession crap in California. But only after the fires are put out, and hopefully before the big one hits LA or SF.


You mean Russian's right? Because the OG is actually Russian and believe it or not...lives in Russia.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-03-07/ ... ves-russia

http://www.businessinsider.com/yes-cali ... ain-2017-8
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
User avatar
Kane
Governor
 
Posts: 7313
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:09 pm
Location: The Yay
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 299 times
Been thanked: 498 times
Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Re: Catalonian Independence

Postby exploited » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:32 pm

Image

These users thanked the author exploited for the post:
John Galt
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 20961
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2197 times
Been thanked: 1702 times

Re: Catalonian Independence

Postby John Galt » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:56 pm

Kane wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:There still talking that secession crap in California. But only after the fires are put out, and hopefully before the big one hits LA or SF.


You mean Russian's right? Because the OG is actually Russian and believe it or not...lives in Russia.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-03-07/ ... ves-russia

http://www.businessinsider.com/yes-cali ... ain-2017-8


how dare you call into question how kaliforniyets a man is

but really, it does show how awesome the russians are at using the Sow Dissent button. i didn't believe the in Sow Dissent meta before
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12349
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 577 times
Been thanked: 1284 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Catalonian Independence

Postby Spider » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:48 am

I'd like to see some better data on how many Catalans are actually behind this. According to the vote/voter turnout, and some weak ass polls, there is no popular support at all for this. Its just the separatist minority, even now. Was waiting to see if the crackdown turned opinion...but nope.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
User avatar
Spider
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 11555
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Out in the sticks.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 857 times
Been thanked: 1020 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: Catalonian Independence

Postby NAB » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Spider wrote:I'd like to see some better data on how many Catalans are actually behind this. According to the vote/voter turnout, and some weak ass polls, there is no popular support at all for this. Its just the separatist minority, even now. Was waiting to see if the crackdown turned opinion...but nope.


Interesting to note how much Julian Assange is involved in covering Catalan’s independence movement. He’s so invested in it you’d think he was born in the region.
Welcome to our speak board web page
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 7584
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 1080 times

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest