General Saz on the Korean Situation

The place for general political discussion.

Re: General Saz on the Korean Situation

Postby Philly » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:00 pm

NAB wrote:
Philly wrote:
Kane wrote:My god...when was that?

During the 08 election. Bush spoke in Israel and took a veiled shot at Obama for saying he'd sit down at the table and negotiate with Iran. Bush alluded to appeasing Hitler. Then this fun little cringe moment happened.

Not a big fan of Chris Matthews, but he was pretty solid there. If it were me in that situation, there's no way I wouldn't have said stfu after so many repeated attempts of asking him that question (and him repeating appeasement over and over). Now that would have be prestige television.

I don't like Matthews either. Primary example is in that clip when it's finally the white haired dudes turn to talk after waiting patiently and Matthews interrupts him instead to trash the dumb guy instead. But the exchange was just hilarious. I love watching these proverbial train wrecks and would have gladly watched him just press the guy over and over for another 10 minutes.
Philly
Governor

Postby exploited » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:06 pm

So what you're saying, Galt, is that Obama f**k up the Middle East by reiterating the exact same principles supported for the past six decades (or more)? Saying you support transitions to democracy is the fundamental basis of American FP forever... It rarely has anything to do with what is happening on the ground. It is just a platitude.

Nah bro. You're just wrong about this. Obama f**k up Syria with the red line. He f**k up Libya because he listened to Clinton. Neither of these incidents come even close to causing the damage seen by the Iraq War. About the only really important part of his f**k is that Westerners had to deal with the refugees this time around.

Reminder: between 500,000 and 1,000,000 Iraqis were killed, and between 2,000,000 and 4,000,000 became refugees. ISIS took the power vacuum and quickly expanded into Syria.

To offset this, Obama made Saudi Arabia his bitch by masterfully bottoming out their market while increasing his own production and creating jobs. He came to a great deal with Iran, pushing back their nuclear program by at least a decade and probably more. And he has pushed the Russian military to its limits and exposed Putin for what he is. And what are the real consequences on American power? Literally nothing.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Winchester » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:26 pm

NAB wrote:
John Galt wrote:jesus christ

my father went off on me this weekend when i made some joke when i called up to tell him he should open up his own Atlantic magazine and at least read the article by the "leftist" kurt anderson from last month. i forget exactly what i said as it's not really important but he started going on, "some libertarian you are. you're just another of the elite republican establishment, which is basically the democratic party". i don't think my father is an idiot, at all, and he knows what he is saying (generally to goad, so he was doing that there) but when i see shit like what you just posted philly... we really need a national curriculum, with money at least flowing to the state level to be evenly distributed instead of local property taxes, and need to mandate homeschools pass certain tests or they will have to go to real school -- including the amish. there is no reason why an adult with no mental disabilities should not have been able to answer that question

Speaking of the Amish. Amish crime ring, or head shots from The Hobbit casting call?

Thanks for the opening Galt, I've been looking for an excuse to post that pic.

Not an overly tall lot are they?
Winchester
Governor

Postby Kane » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:15 am

Reuters wrote:
Trump to add sanctions on North Korea, but not on oil: U.S.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday the United States will add more sanctions against North Korea, while U.S. allies have called for enforcing existing international sanctions as the best way to get Pyongyang to give up its nuclear weapons program.

The sanctions are not expected to further target oil, a senior Trump administration official told Reuters.

Tensions have risen in recent weeks over North Korea’s nuclear and ballistic missile tests, despite intense pressure from world powers. The U.N. Security Council has unanimously imposed nine rounds of sanctions on North Korea since 2006, the latest earlier this month capping fuel supplies to the isolated state.

“We will be putting more sanctions on North Korea,” Trump said in response to a question at a meeting with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani in New York on the sidelines of the annual gathering of world leaders at the United Nations.

Trump would make the announcement at lunch with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and South Korean President Moon Jae-in, officials said.

Trump said before the lunch that he and Moon were discussing trade issues and North Korea. “I think we’re making a lot of progress in a lot of ways,” Trump told reporters.

Trump warned North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in a speech to the U.N. General Assembly on Tuesday that the United States, if threatened, would “totally destroy” his country of 26 million people.

Not sure what we're trying to do here anymore. Further sanctions just solidifies the regimes claim that the country is at risk from outside powers and must remain ever vigilant - it also supports their need for nuclear weapons as a deterrent to any military action. Not only that - these aren't even sanctions on oil. So the net effect is to harm the population of the country already largely being persecuted by their own government (knowingly or not depending on how much of the propaganda the people accept as truth).

A part of me also wonders if China continues to side with the DPRK on blocking all oil because:

- it's a level of crazy they're familiar with so they know what lines not to cross
- They'd rather deal with the crazy they know than allow the country to implode creating a crisis on their border

Bottom line for me: I don't think there is any situation in which China chooses to remove Kim from power because it would risk having the buffer state at all. Any action that could potentially lead to such will not be met with support by the Chinese. The risk to them is too great.

It's also notable that Russian oil is getting to the DRPK now:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nort ... SKCN1BV1DC

Anybody want to laughably assert the Russians are unaware of this? Not hearing a lot of condemnation from the admin on this front. Nor am I seeing the enactment of any naval blockade.
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby ToddStarnes » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:03 am

Chinese central banks reportedly ask Chinese banks to comply with UN sanctions. I'll be surprised if they do. But if they do......goddamn. that's a big deal.
ToddStarnes
Senator

Postby Kane » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:47 am

There are still ways around it. Watch the Russians take up the slack to allow for the Chinese to save some face.
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Postby Kane » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:05 pm

It's interesting to note that China has been hard on bitcoin as of late too.
Kane
Governor

Postby Kane » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:49 pm

CNBC wrote:
The North Korean leader concluded his statement by saying that he will "surely and definitely tame the mentally deranged U.S. dotard with fire." Kim also called Trump a "rogue and a gangster fond of playing with fire, rather than a politician."

:)) :)) **==
Kane
Governor

Previous

Return to General Discussion