[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Houston is under water • General Discussion • Political Crossfire Forums

Houston is under water

The place for general political discussion.

Houston is under water

Postby Kane » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:03 pm

Kane
Vice President

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Re: Houston is under water

Postby John Galt » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:54 pm

i'm all for taking climate change seriously but claiming this is the result of climate change is VERY dangerous. why? because it makes it easy to dismiss ALL climate change if you can show that this isn't

this is the first hurricane to hit the mainland US in like a decade. al gore and the chicken little club were running around after katrina saying this was going to happen all the time now... and then... it didn't. now you're gonna do that again?

what was that story, about the boy who cried wolf?

i would not hitch that wagon to climate change. that's a terrible idea

as for city planning... i dunno. seems odd to plan for epic disasters, doesn't it? like a once in several hundred year event? hurricanes happen, we know they do, and sometimes conditions make it terrible for some localized part of the country. huston is completely f**k right now, but there is very little that can be done. it's all f**k flat as the ocean and there's nowhere for the water to go. only thing that could make some sense is to have multistory buildings with cars parked on ground floor. this is just mitigating the flooding effects, but still doesn't stop it from happening. because you can't stop that. you saw the highways, they are nearly up to the overhead signs filled with water. what do you want them to do, build giant canals everywhere for water that might come again within a 1000 years, or might not? i recommend just not living there
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby fstarcstar » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:59 pm

Kane, there are already plans for these kind of things. Before we start pointing fingers we have to understand that this storm went from nothing to becoming one of the most destructive storms in 3-4 days. Houston, literally one of the largest cities in the United States and the entire southern Texas gulf border can't just be picked up and moved in days. It's literally impossible.

Even the meteorologists and experts were completely wrong on this one. The original messages coming out of the area was that people did not have to leave and then rapidly the situations changed and it's now one of the worst disasters we will ever have because the storm simply isn't moving. It's just sitting there.
fstarcstar
Governor

Postby John Galt » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:01 pm

this storm has dropped something like 11 trillion gallons of water on texas already. this is one twelfth of the volume of Lake Erie
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby John Galt » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:05 pm

John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby fstarcstar » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:05 pm

Most of Houston received an entire years worth of rain in under 24 hours.
fstarcstar
Governor

Postby John Galt » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:18 pm

In 2005 over 100 people died during the evacuation of Huston, including 23 nursing home patients who died from their bus exploding

There's a number of things at play. I think in the short term the priority is to help those who need it. Long term will be to get lessens learned
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby NAB » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:14 pm

I saw a stat today that Houston received nearly as much rain in 48 hours as Dallas has this entire year. Dallas has had a pretty wet year so far....ffs

I'm very familiar with the term 100 year flood (dealt with it in low elevation developments), but I saw a 500 year flood mentioned today (clearly a projection).

TBF, the incredible rain amounts were being predicted before it made landfall. I've got quite a few friends in Houston, and they're all ok right now. A few have been posting videos of their neighborhoods and it's crazy to see a street sign barely sticking out of the water..

I do have a good friend who's an avid deep sea fisherman who canceled a planned trip this weekend. He's still got an amazing boat moored in Port O'Connor he hopes. Harvey is projected to head back out to sea right over Port O...
NAB
Governor

Postby NAB » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:20 pm

NAB
Governor

Postby exploited » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:57 am

You know, I couldn't help but notice the food choices of those featured in the article. You don't know if you have enough food to last, so you bought hotdogs, hamburgers, sheet cake and pizza?

I dunno man. I dunno. Something about that smells like actors. Is this a false flag?
exploited
Vice President

Next

Return to General Discussion