American Health Care Act of 2017

The place for general political discussion.

American Health Care Act of 2017

Postby John Galt » Thu May 04, 2017 12:19 pm

HR 1628 has passed

wiki wrote:The American Health Care Act of 2017 (H.R. 1628), referred to by the acronym AHCA and nicknamed variously Trumpcare,[1] Ryancare,[2] Obamacare-Lite,[3] and Republicare,[4] is a United States Congress bill to repeal the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA). It is based on a plan first publicly released by House Republicans on March 6, 2017, and the first part of what its proponents claim is a 3-phase plan to repeal the act.

217-213

after passing, i could hear them singing "Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye". i'm not making that up.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: American Health Care Act of 2017

Postby phosphide » Thu May 04, 2017 12:30 pm

Says the Dems are the ones singing.
We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Postby exploited » Thu May 04, 2017 12:34 pm

Not likely to get by the Senate, is it?
exploited
Vice President

Postby John Galt » Thu May 04, 2017 12:42 pm

exploited wrote:Not likely to get by the Senate, is it?

it's a budget reconciliation bill and cannot be filibustered. it would need near unanimous republican support though.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby exploited » Thu May 04, 2017 12:45 pm

John Galt wrote:

it's a budget reconciliation bill and cannot be filibustered. it would need near unanimous republican support though.

Interesting. What are your thoughts on this Galt?

Is it just me, or is kicking a couple dozen million people off healthcare the equivalent of political suicide?

Then again, it is well-known that Republicans like being f**k in the ass, so it will likely not bother their base.
exploited
Vice President

Postby John Galt » Thu May 04, 2017 12:52 pm

exploited wrote:
John Galt wrote:

Is it just me, or is kicking a couple dozen million people off healthcare the equivalent of political suicide?

Then again, it is well-known that Republicans like being f**k in the ass, so it will likely not bother their base.

my thoughts is that it probably clears the way for single payer, or a two-tiered system of "american health care" with insurance up at the top (current situation) and canadian style for the plebs. the main problem with obamacare is that we are trying to provide american standard of care and it's just too expensive. we need to roll back expectations for the poors so that everyone gets access to okayish care. nothing too extravagant though, that's the problem with obamacare. this then makes insurance less expensive because all the dregs are thrown into the national tier of healthcare with waiting lists and whatever, but others are able to still get that american style healthcare (you get what you pay for, and what you paid for was top tier healthcare because this is america goddamnit) if they want it

as for the content of the bill, it's "stage 1" of 3, so i have no idea what the full implications are, and if and who is being "kicked off" healthcare insurance rolls
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Thu May 04, 2017 12:54 pm

It's pretty odious, but a lot of the key Obamacare tenets remain. With the subsidies being toasted, premiums are sure to shoot up nicely, especially for the old and sick. Sounds like they've set the worst parts of this to go into effect in 2020...so the next administration will take the heat, but a couple of midterm elections cycles should be insulated from the voter fallout.
"Freedom is the increased knowledge of that which you can do without." -Thoreau
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby John Galt » Thu May 04, 2017 12:56 pm

Spider wrote:It's pretty odious, but a lot of the key Obamacare tenets remain. With the subsidies being toasted, premiums are sure to shoot up nicely, especially for the old and sick. Sounds like they've set the worst parts of this to go into effect in 2020...so the next administration will take the heat, but a couple of midterm elections cycles should be insulated from the voter fallout.

tbf it also allows for time to make changes. i as a person who lives in a country appreciate when laws passed are not put into effect immediately. it will also be a central issue on the midterms
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Winchester » Thu May 04, 2017 1:13 pm

John Galt wrote:
exploited wrote:
John Galt wrote:

my thoughts is that it probably clears the way for single payer, or a two-tiered system of "american health care" with insurance up at the top (current situation) and canadian style for the plebs. the main problem with obamacare is that we are trying to provide american standard of care and it's just too expensive. we need to roll back expectations for the poors so that everyone gets access to okayish care. nothing too extravagant though, that's the problem with obamacare. this then makes insurance less expensive because all the dregs are thrown into the national tier of healthcare with waiting lists and whatever, but others are able to still get that american style healthcare (you get what you pay for, and what you paid for was top tier healthcare because this is america goddamnit) if they want it

as for the content of the bill, it's "stage 1" of 3, so i have no idea what the full implications are, and if and who is being "kicked off" healthcare insurance rolls

I'm totally good with a two-tiered system.
Winchester
Governor

Postby John Galt » Thu May 04, 2017 1:25 pm

problems there include multiple levels of hospitals. of course, we already have that, kind of.

what we need to fix is people abusing ER for everything because they can't afford the doctor. typical day-to-day medical needs at this point make sense to be handled by government hospitals with a small fee (like $20 dollars, this is to discourage abuse) and a waiting line. of course what is "typical day to day"... i don't see why i should pay for someone's cancer treatment. that's what insurance is for. if you're too poor for it, well, you didn't prepare for your own body killing you: not my problem. if you broke your arm or something, that's an accident that kind of small stuff happens. if you need to have a kidney transplant because of some chronic condition? you really should start asking for donations
John Galt
Technical Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion