Fed in 2011 joked about jobless, blamed drugs, work ethic

The place for general political discussion.

Fed in 2011 joked about jobless, blamed drugs, work ethic

Postby fstarcstar » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:49 pm

With the economy still reeling from the financial crisis and unemployment running high in 2011, officials at the Federal Reserve blamed drugs for the much of the problems, and joked about people who couldn't even fill out job applications properly.

Recently released transcripts from Federal Open Market Committee meetings provide a window into how central bank leaders saw the jobless problem. The FOMC is the central bank's policy-making arm and includes regional presidents and Fed governors from across the country.

fed member wrote:"I frequently hear of jobs going unfilled because a large number of applicants have difficulty passing basic requirements like drug tests, or simply demonstrating the requisite work ethic," then-Philadelphia Fed President Charles Plosser said at one point.

"As an example, one contact in the staffing industry told us that during their pretesting process, a majority — actually, 60 percent of applicants — failed to answer '0' to the question of how many days a week it's acceptable to miss work," Plosser said.

The meeting had multiple jocular moments, with "laughter" noted 57 times.

Read this back in January actually, and forgot to start a thread. Makes you wonder how some people get through the day sometimes. Now that we are at a much lower unemployment rate, I wonder where these people are working now?

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/28/fed-in-2 ... yment.html
fstarcstar
Governor

Re: Fed in 2011 joked about jobless, blamed drugs, work ethi

Postby jimmyz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Bring on the robots!
" I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing. All of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman.' I want a wife, not a competitor! Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)
jimmyz
Governor

Political Leaning: Conservative

Postby ToddStarnes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:33 am

Lol terrible optics. Though tbf the average person is completely useless in all but the most menial of jobs IME. Even like cleaning fish was beyond the skillset of many I worked with. Apparently squeezing blood out of the gills and putting roe in a basket was some big goddamn challenge.

Or then jackass at blockbuster I managed who literally didn't know the alphabet and would just put returns back willy nilly.

Or the guy in the freezer plant who couldn't count properly when tracking how many freeze blasted salmon had been placed into a box for shipping so would just make up numbers. Rest of writing down between 7 and 12 and this ethnic group member writing 35 and shit.

People are f**k idiots. the AVERAGE IQ is 100 and lemme tell you below 115 or so you're still pretty goddamn useless IME.

There was a study recently in the ability of the average person to perform multi step but basic tasks. Absurd results. Seriously most people are legit downs.
ToddStarnes
Senator

Postby Saz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:43 am

ToddStarnes wrote:Lol terrible optics. Though tbf the average person is completely useless in all but the most menial of jobs IME. Even like cleaning fish was beyond the skillset of many I worked with. Apparently squeezing blood out of the gills and putting roe in a basket was some big goddamn challenge.

Or then jackass at blockbuster I managed who literally didn't know the alphabet and would just put returns back willy nilly.

Or the guy in the freezer plant who couldn't count properly when tracking how many freeze blasted salmon had been placed into a box for shipping so would just make up numbers. Rest of writing down between 7 and 12 and this ethnic group member writing 35 and shit.

People are f**k idiots. the AVERAGE IQ is 100 and lemme tell you below 115 or so you're still pretty goddamn useless IME.

There was a study recently in the ability of the average person to perform multi step but basic tasks. Absurd results. Seriously most people are legit downs.

All these jobs should be done by computers. Humans are not built for rote tasks and it's insane that we still make people do them when for an income when a robot could do it significantly better.

Employers are retards as well. Drug tests have nothing to do with you job performance. Either you are shit or you aren't and if you are shit it doesn't matter why. Showing up to work every day is a joke as well and it's this kind of fascism that encourages people to just throw in the towel. There is no gain to being efficient or correct so why f**k bother. It's easy to talk shit about these people but if i was making 8 bucks an hour to work at blockbuster i wouldn't give a f**k if the movies were in alphabetical order either. I know little Einchmans like you can't fathom people not doing exactly as they are told to the best of their ability, but frankly you are getting out of them exactly what you would expect given their incentives. I'm 100% sure blockbuster probably made extensive disclosures about how some absurd stock award is needed for the executives to keep them working properly. Funny how that never applies to the employees though, you think they will bust their ass and give a shit so you can make more money, and that they are stupid if they don't play into this game.
Pun intended for the plebes on here who don't get a joke
Saz
Governor

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Philly » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:50 am

whats a blockbuster
Philly
Governor

Postby ToddStarnes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:44 am

Saz wrote:
ToddStarnes wrote:Lol terrible optics. Though tbf the average person is completely useless in all but the most menial of jobs IME. Even like cleaning fish was beyond the skillset of many I worked with. Apparently squeezing blood out of the gills and putting roe in a basket was some big goddamn challenge.

All these jobs should be done by computers. Humans are not built for rote tasks and it's insane that we still make people do them when for an income when a robot could do it significantly better.

Employers are retards as well. Drug tests have nothing to do with you job performance. Either you are shit or you aren't and if you are shit it doesn't matter why. Showing up to work every day is a joke as well and it's this kind of fascism that encourages people to just throw in the towel. There is no gain to being efficient or correct so why f**k bother. It's easy to talk shit about these people but if i was making 8 bucks an hour to work at blockbuster i wouldn't give a f**k if the movies were in alphabetical order either. I know little Einchmans like you can't fathom people not doing exactly as they are told to the best of their ability, but frankly you are getting out of them exactly what you would expect given their incentives. I'm 100% sure blockbuster probably made extensive disclosures about how some absurd stock award is needed for the executives to keep them working properly. Funny how that never applies to the employees though, you think they will bust their ass and give a shit so you can make more money, and that they are stupid if they don't play into this game.

You have it backwards. It's the true dumbs who try to do a good job and f**k it up. Me and the other college kids slacked but were still better employees because we had double digit IQs.

Also we used to smoke weed in the back and trade movies for shots from the dudes who worked at the Mexican restaurant next to us. That was a great job.
ToddStarnes
Senator

Postby Philly » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:49 am

ToddStarnes wrote:You have it backwards. It's the true dumbs who try to do a good job and f**k it up. Me and the other college kids slacked but were still better employees because we had double digit IQs.

Also we used to smoke weed in the back and trade movies for shots from the dudes who worked at the Mexican restaurant next to us. That was a great job.

Dylan admits to having a double digit IQ

These users thanked the author Philly for the post:
exploited
Philly
Governor

Postby ToddStarnes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:55 am

Lulz f**k pwned
ToddStarnes
Senator

Postby jimmyz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:56 am

Philly wrote:
ToddStarnes wrote:You have it backwards. It's the true dumbs who try to do a good job and f**k it up. Me and the other college kids slacked but were still better employees because we had double digit IQs.

Dylan admits to having a double digit IQ

He has been drinking heavily of late.
" I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing. All of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman.' I want a wife, not a competitor! Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)
jimmyz
Governor

Political Leaning: Conservative

Postby Kane » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:56 am

fstarcstar wrote:
With the economy still reeling from the financial crisis and unemployment running high in 2011, officials at the Federal Reserve blamed drugs for the much of the problems, and joked about people who couldn't even fill out job applications properly.

Recently released transcripts from Federal Open Market Committee meetings provide a window into how central bank leaders saw the jobless problem. The FOMC is the central bank's policy-making arm and includes regional presidents and Fed governors from across the country.

fed member wrote:"I frequently hear of jobs going unfilled because a large number of applicants have difficulty passing basic requirements like drug tests, or simply demonstrating the requisite work ethic," then-Philadelphia Fed President Charles Plosser said at one point.

"As an example, one contact in the staffing industry told us that during their pretesting process, a majority — actually, 60 percent of applicants — failed to answer '0' to the question of how many days a week it's acceptable to miss work," Plosser said.

The meeting had multiple jocular moments, with "laughter" noted 57 times.

Read this back in January actually, and forgot to start a thread. Makes you wonder how some people get through the day sometimes. Now that we are at a much lower unemployment rate, I wonder where these people are working now?

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/28/fed-in-2 ... yment.html

It's bad optics but to wit Plosser is a hawk who generally didn't favor QE at all. I'd say those comments are in line with past GOP hyperbole concerning welfare queens, laziness, etc.
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Next

Return to General Discussion