Healthcare Predictions

The place for general political discussion.

Re: Healthcare Predictions

Postby Kane » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:59 pm

So you’re anti insurance companies now?
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Spider » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:56 am

phosphide wrote:Regardless we shouldn't be giving money to insurance companies whose sole purpose is to deny claims and f**k people over for profit.

What then? Single payer?

Why the change of heart?
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby phosphide » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:03 am

Kane wrote:So you’re anti insurance companies now?

Considering my previous post of recommendations (Post Link), I think it's safe to say I don't like the insurance companies. That doesn't mean I support single-payer.

Also, get the f**k out of here with the "now" or "anti insurance" comments. As if you know anything about what I thought before let alone now.
We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Postby phosphide » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:08 am

Spider wrote:What then? Single payer?

Why the change of heart?

Being against corporate handouts to health insurance companies doesn't justify as a change of heart. My opinion on the issue of healthcare remains the same.
We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Postby Spider » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:12 am

phosphide wrote:
Spider wrote:What then? Single payer?

Why the change of heart?

Being against corporate handouts to health insurance companies doesn't justify as a change of heart. My opinion on the issue of healthcare remains the same.

...well what then? If you don't want to use private companies, and don't want to use single payer...then what is your solution?

(please don't say "f**k 'em if they're too poor to pay. This murica.")

The list you posted before doesn't actually mean anything if there are still millions of people without coverage or so financially devastated by said coverage that they'd rather give birth in their bathtubs (This is a thing that's actually on the rise, given the cost of hospital deliveries).
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Kane » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:21 pm

phosphide wrote:
Kane wrote:So you’re anti insurance companies now?

Considering my previous post of recommendations (Post Link), I think it's safe to say I don't like the insurance companies. That doesn't mean I support single-payer.

Also, get the f**k out of here with the "now" or "anti insurance" comments. As if you know anything about what I thought before let alone now.

Dude you left me no option...

What is the real alternative here? Going into a rage about insurance companies without providing a feasible alternative or single payer leaves you....where?
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Postby phosphide » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:23 pm

Spider wrote:...well what then? If you don't want to use private companies, and don't want to use single payer...then what is your solution?

I never said I don't want to use private companies. I said I don't like them, which doesn't mean I'm against them. I provided a series of recommendations to make healthcare more efficient, hold insurance companies accountable, and in return hopefully make it more affordable.

(please don't say "f**k 'em if they're too poor to pay. This murica.")

Said by me never.

The list you posted before doesn't actually mean anything if there are still millions of people without coverage or so financially devastated by said coverage that they'd rather give birth in their bathtubs (This is a thing that's actually on the rise, given the cost of hospital deliveries).

Yes, it does matter. Our system could work if we eliminate inefficiencies, focus on quality of care rather than quantity, and hold insurance companies and hospital networks accountable. If health insurance was more affordable and government aid less complicated we wouldn't have many of these issues. Healthcare revenue cycle is probably the most inefficient industry in the entire country despite years of talking about electronic health records and blah blah blah.

Look, it doesn't really matter what major changes could happen we are still screwed. Why? Because 40% of adults and 19% of youth are obese. Half of all adults have a chronic disease and we have a very large and aging population. Because of these things the insurance market will eventually fail. Why? Because a system designed to spread risk won't work if everyone is at risk. Will single-payer succeed? No. We will get older, fatter, and more unhealthy and it will take every last tax dollar you can imagine to pay for it. And I'm not going to pay into a system so a bunch of fat Americans can get their chronic diseases paid for. Maybe if we were a healthy society I would support it. I'm not entirely opposed to a basic level of coverage for all Americans and leaving the rest open to purchase catastrophic coverage. But alas, here we are.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Postby phosphide » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:26 pm

Kane wrote:Dude you left me no option...

What is the real alternative here? Going into a rage about insurance companies without providing a feasible alternative or single payer leaves you....where?

I gave you 8 recommendations that could impact insurance coverage significantly in this country, particularly holding insurance companies accountable and making things more efficient and hopefully affordable. I don't need to provide alternatives as I'm recommending fixes to what we have in place today.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Postby Kane » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:17 am

phosphide wrote:If you want to fix our broken ass healthcare system, I recommend the following for starters:

1. Eliminate state lines - not for the same reasons you are use to hearing. Consolidate insurance companies and turn them into national companies instead of regional/state companies. This would make it easier from an administrative standpoint for hospital networks. We don't need 15 different BCBS and it ultimately increases administrative costs trying to maintain contracts with so many different payers.

This would allow for larger insurance corporations which would inevitably lead to larger power on their part over legislative/regulatory bodies. It could also lead to monopolization depending on who's in office.

Unless you're indicating you want them to become straight up GSEs? But then...why not just go single payer at that point?

phosphide wrote:2. Contractual Obligations - require all insurance companies to have one set of standards and all hospitals are required to be contracted with it. All claims must be settled between hospital/insurance company within 120 days. Place a fine every day for each claim not resolved on both the hospital network and insurance company. Would eliminate out-of-network plans and would save massive amounts of administrative costs trying to settle claims with insurance companies.

ACA already does this...not sure about settlements but the whole point of the ACA was to cover people with pre-existing conditions without bankrupting them by increasing the level of care expected through the insurers.

Phosphide wrote:3. Incorporate Deductibles/Co-Pays into Premiums - would eliminate bad debt collection activities from hospitals and patients don't pay them anyways. Patients in this country obviously don't care about taking their healthcare seriously, not like a deductible would reduce risky behavior.

Co-pays are meant as a vehicle to get people to consider the cost of a doctor visit. GPs are inundated with daily visits by people that don't necessarily require one. They see shit on the internet and suddenly think that because they have 3 out of 10 symptoms they might have cancer. Co-pays make sure you have some skin in the game - it's trying to get the consumer to be more considerate and deliberate.

As for deductibles...people don't even know wtf that is half the time. The other half chooses the plan with the higher deductible because the premiums were literally unaffordable. I can tell you straight faced that before ACA I had seen co-workers with children pay for a plan with a $1,000+ premium a month. The mother worked to make the actual discretionary spending while the father worked to pay for healthcare or vice versa.

On top of that...plans even had annual limits on what amount they were willing to cover. If you needed over $1 million worth of healthcare for a given year and that was your provider's max, you're f**k. People do try to take this shit seriously but...have you ever been to an open enrollment meeting? The shit is obtuse. If you're not familiar with the terms, don't make a shit ton of money, you're probably just going to go with what you can afford.

Not sure why you're so angry at US consumers.

phosphide wrote:4. Consolidate billing - it's stupid you get 10 bills from 10 different doctors after a visit. Your explanation of benefits doesn't make sense anyways.

Exactly.

This doesn't seem like a big deal to me but on a per doctor basis it could mess with how their earnings are calculated.

phosphide wrote:5. Taxes - implement a tax based system onto hospital networks and insurance companies based off the quality/value of healthcare services and key population health metrics.

Again, ACA already set out to do this.

http://consumersunion.org/research/heal ... -coverage/

phosphide wrote:6. Maternity care - implement a true maternity care system. Jesus christ I can't believe we don't have this.

I'm surprised to hear that you want us to go European.

phosphide wrote:7. Fraud - increase fraud investigations on government funding. Medicare/Medicaid wouldn't be so difficult if it weren't for the massive amounts of fraud we see each year.

Up to the executive right? I think Obama and past admins had higher priorities and white collar crime in general just doesn't seem to get the same amount of attention as a murder. But I'm all for creating an ultra super mega task force that takes this on.

phosphide wrote:8. Fix Patent System - would save a ridiculous amount of money on prescriptions and other medical technology

Single payer isn't happening any time soon and I wouldn't support paying into a system that rewards our unhealthy country anyways.

What does "fix patent system" even mean here? And dude...what you're prescribing whether you want to accept it or not supports paying into a system that rewards unhealthy people. Even before ACA you did this. We don't like the idea of leaving people out on the street to die. So we don't.

Until we do you can't escape that fact. Accept it and then move on and try to control costs like everybody else has been trying to do.
Kane
Governor

Postby Kane » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:25 am

If we were at all serious about any of this we'd do this:

Force insurance providers and hospitals to be entirely transparent when it comes to cost. Give me line item invoices detailing the cost of every single thing.

Transparency is a serious issue in this industry and that's something the definitely benefits the insurance companies.
Kane
Governor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion