[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Travel Ban • Page 15 • General Discussion • Political Crossfire Forums

Travel Ban

The place for general political discussion.

Re: Travel Ban

Postby John Galt » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:56 am

Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby ToddStarnes » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:01 am

I mean, everybody gets the baseline once you're here (4th amendment, equal protection, etc). I think the shakiest part of the challenge is the portion on behalf of refugees that have never been to the US. I believe they're entitled to some protections but not much at all IIRC. 5 or 6 years ago I could've given a much more satisfactory answer but switching careers and chemo brain leaves my memory of these nuances a little foggy. Lucky for us all, I have the flu and am tired of binging The Leftovers so I'll research this a bit more and get back to you. Unless Saz, fresh from the academy, beats me to it.
ToddStarnes
Banned
Banned

Postby John Galt » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:13 am

i think that's it's important, because it's not like the order is deporting people in here, jsut turning them back before they get here. or do they turn them back from other airports? i suppose they are being turned back there. i don't see how non-americans get us constitutional protections in not-america, e.g., in the airport in paris, which is why i think your thoughts that the ban would stand would be correct; i have a feeling it's not unconstitutional in terms of violating people's rights, it's just unamerican

if anything would overturn it it would be that the president does not have the authority to make these types of orders and it needs to be done by congress, not that they congress couldn't, if they wished, do something like this. and i do not believe that the framers would have seen this happening, but they wouldn't have seen 100 years of the supreme court spoon feeding the president with legislative powers
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:42 pm

The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:44 pm

Maybe all the protestors should be required to take a refugee home with them. :ar!
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby Spider » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:09 pm

Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby John Galt » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:17 pm

John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby fstarcstar » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:19 pm

fstarcstar
Governor

Postby Spider » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:27 pm

Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby ToddStarnes » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:44 pm

Lol pwned.

I still see the lawsuit failing on the merits.
ToddStarnes
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion