Twitter Wars

The place for general political discussion.

Re: Twitter Wars

Postby exploited » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:21 pm

Spider wrote:Actually, gun violence has been in decline for a very long time, with a very recent uptick. As has per capita gun ownership. Media-friendly mass shootings on the other hand have been picking up steam, leading to a lot of hysteria.

Really, this isn't about some clown shooting up a church or a concert...this is about the thousands of people killing each other on street corners. Every day. But nobody seems to care about any of that. Not flashy enough for the news.

For the rates of gun violence and even gun ownership to have declined so much only to see mass shootings increase strongly suggests other factors at play. Probably copycat stuff. The desire for notoriety, acknowledgment, etc etc. If there's a cycle, its feeding on the coverage of this stuff, most likely.

(no. I didn't say don't cover it. Please don't respond as if I had.)

Ugh.

If Canada had either the street violence or the mass shootings seen in the US, we would be in a literal security lockdown. There would be soldiers patrolling the streets. Weapons would be seized and destroyed, or bought and destroyed, and there would be no talk about gun rights.

You look at places like the five blocks in Chicago where hundreds of people get shot every month - it is unimaginable here. Gun ownership in those communities would be specifically and unconditionally banned. In fact, soldiers and police would be going house to house and destroying all of the weapons they found, and it would continue until the shootings stopped and stayed stopped.

Saying "it isn't really about that" in reference to mass shootings is both stupid and irrelevant. Literally none of these problems are acceptable or should be viewed as tolerable. Stop deflecting. Stop trying to rationalize it. Stop trying to moderate a discussion that is inherently insane and has been for a long time.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Winchester » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:22 pm

exploited wrote:
Spider wrote:Actually, gun violence has been in decline for a very long time, with a very recent uptick. As has per capita gun ownership. Media-friendly mass shootings on the other hand have been picking up steam, leading to a lot of hysteria.

Really, this isn't about some clown shooting up a church or a concert...this is about the thousands of people killing each other on street corners. Every day. But nobody seems to care about any of that. Not flashy enough for the news.

For the rates of gun violence and even gun ownership to have declined so much only to see mass shootings increase strongly suggests other factors at play. Probably copycat stuff. The desire for notoriety, acknowledgment, etc etc. If there's a cycle, its feeding on the coverage of this stuff, most likely.

Ugh.

If Canada had either the street violence or the mass shootings seen in the US, we would be in a literal security lockdown. There would be soldiers patrolling the streets. Weapons would be seized and destroyed, or bought and destroyed, and there would be no talk about gun rights.

You look at places like the five blocks in Chicago where hundreds of people get shot every month - it is unimaginable here. Gun ownership in those communities would be specifically and unconditionally banned. In fact, soldiers and police would be going house to house and destroying all of the weapons they found, and it would continue until the shootings stopped and stayed stopped.

Saying "it isn't really about that" in reference to mass shootings is both stupid and irrelevant. Literally none of these problems are acceptable or should be viewed as tolerable. Stop deflecting. Stop trying to rationalize it. Stop trying to moderate a discussion that is inherently insane and has been for a long time.

The Albertans might disagree with you.
Winchester
Governor

Postby Saz » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:24 pm

We all know how you feel about black people, no need to posture.

For the rates of gun violence and even gun ownership to have declined so much only to see mass shootings increase strongly suggests other factors at play.
Did gun ownership go up or down, because you said the opposite above. You are thinking to hard here...whatever other factors may be in play, they obviously are aggregated by allowing anyone to amass a small arsenal.

Probably copycat stuff. The desire for notoriety, acknowledgment, etc etc. If there's a cycle, its feeding on the coverage of this stuff, most likely.

This is what I mean. It's like you people have a pathology, determined to look for every f**k answer except the incredibly obvious one staring you in the fact. Arming everyone and allowing any lunatic and his mother to buy military grade weapons, in nearly unlimited quantities and often without any sort of screening or registration, will OBVIOUSLY lead to more instances of lunatics gunning down dozens of people. Why not start with the f**k obvious sherlock?

I'll respond however i god damn please - if you don't like it then put me on ignore as well **==
Pun intended for the plebes on here who don't get a joke
Saz
Governor

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Saz » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:33 pm

exploited wrote:

Ugh.

I remember how shocked I was to see news of murders in the papers here in London. In just about every mid-sized to large american city, its just assumed one, of not several, people were murdered on any given day. It's not news unless there is something outlandish in the story. it's a f**k embarrassment the dutch guide books on America describe places like Baltimore as a serious travel risk on par with failed states. It's uncivilised quite frankly.

The Uk and Australia both had terrible mass shootings and quickly moved to ban all weapons, and the same hasn't happened again. It's almost like the tried the natural, obvious thing to do, and it worked. And yet here we have Detective Spider looking for the REAL issue here. I refuse to believe Americans are collectively that stupid, they have been conditioned by a political lobby to their own detriment.
Pun intended for the plebes on here who don't get a joke

These users thanked the author Saz for the post:
exploited
Saz
Governor

Postby exploited » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:48 pm

100%. The normalization of violence in the US is a real thing. It ought to be completely beyond the realm of believability for this level of gun violence to occur. People should be shocked and every mass shooting should be a national tragedy, remembered every year all over the country. Instead it is just another massacre. Another reason to buy more guns. Another excuse for "responsible gun owners" to continue to betray their countrymen in favour of their hobby.

Even the street shootings are crazy. We all know that the bulk of these shootings happen in urban ghettos. So why the f**k is nothing done?

For instance, why hasn't Illinois declared a state of emergency and sent in the National Guard? It is clear that the situation in Chicago is far beyond the scope of regular law enforcement. It is essentially an active war zone, with more shootings than any given neighbourhood in Iraq. And yet this violence is allowed to continue. Unreal.

The FLQ kidnapped a couple people and set off some bombs, so we turned the province of Quebec into a military prison, f**k their shit up and left. Militant separatism has been destroyed ever since. This shit works. The government MUST take a heavy hand from time to time. That is its job.
exploited
Vice President

Postby John Galt » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:10 pm

BACK TO THE TOPIC

i love that DJT retweeted a bunch of japanese kanji from Ol' Abe
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Saz wrote:

Yep:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/03/weve-had-a-massive-decline-in-gun-violence-in-the-united-states-heres-why/?utm_term=.1a92210c788b

Or, live in willful, ideologically caged ignorance. Your call.

We all know how you feel about black people, no need to posture.

:)) Well, at least you realize you have no argument.

Did gun ownership go up or down, because you said the opposite above.

No, I didn't. In decline, for a long time, as I clearly stated.

You are thinking to hard here...whatever other factors may be in play, they obviously are aggregated by allowing anyone to amass a small arsenal.

Obviously.

This is what I mean. It's like you people have a pathology, determined to look for every f**k answer except the incredibly obvious one staring you in the fact. Arming everyone and allowing any lunatic and his mother to buy military grade weapons, in nearly unlimited quantities and often without any sort of screening or registration, will OBVIOUSLY lead to more instances of lunatics gunning down dozens of people. Why not start with the f**k obvious sherlock?

All of that goes without saying. Beyond the scope of my statement, so I'm not sure what you're even on about? Of course the presence of more guns will lead to more gun deaths. The presence of more cars leads to more car deaths. The presence of more flammable liquids leads to more burn victims. Etc etc. Nobody in their right mind has argued otherwise.

As I said, I'm merely commenting on a repeated and obvious pattern of language, events, and spikes in gun sales. You on the other hand are leaping to conclusions. Take deep breaths, read the words, don't make assumptions.

I'll respond however i god damn please - if you don't like it then put me on ignore as well **==

Don't get upset. Merely a request behind a "please". Typically its the sort of idiotic straw man I'd have sent my way instead of a response.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby exploited » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:57 pm

Winchester wrote:
exploited wrote:

Ugh.

The Albertans might disagree with you.

Alberta is Canada's Texas, so you would find more pro-gun sentiment there than anywhere else. But even then you would never see this level of violence allowed to occur - Albertans are generally pretty retarded people, but they aren't so retarded that they'd let 1000 people get murdered a year and not do anything about it.
exploited
Vice President

Postby John Galt » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:56 pm

Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Winchester » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:06 pm

John Galt wrote:

lol Gianforte will get primaried. It's the republican's only hope of keeping the seat.
Winchester
Governor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion