Twitter Wars

The place for general political discussion.

Re: Twitter Wars

Postby Spider » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:16 pm

spacemonkey wrote:Fake news is the real enemy, no matter what the media format is.

This is what I mean. There are millions of spacemonkeys out there with no idea what's going on. They think it's fake. And in order for it to be fake...journalists from around the world have to be in on it. Working together to make sure the fake news reported by BBC matches the fake news in the NYT or Der Spiegel or La Monde or whatever else. I can read "fake news" about Russian election meddling on any outlet (maybe except one) in the US...and then read about exactly the same thing in the papers from overseas. So...deeeeep rabbit hole.

"Fake news" is a ridiculous slippery slope. The only legitimately fake news was the stuff churned out during the election by teenagers in Eastern Europe to generate clicks on social media. That actually was entirely fabricated. Not that you'd see trump complaining about that stuff. He himself is by far the largest source of *actually* fake news. He just gets on twitter daily and makes shit up from the toilet. And then millions of spacemonkeys parrot it back at us all over the internet like a giant redneck botnet.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Kane » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:17 am

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... any-of-our

Just disgraceful. It's been what? Three weeks?

Just wow.
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:02 pm

yeah this is where i expect a president to follow up with "but we will be there as long as it takes"

but no, he's just shit talking PR
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby spacemonkey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:05 pm

Spider wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:Fake news is the real enemy, no matter what the media format is.

This is what I mean. There are millions of spacemonkeys out there with no idea what's going on. They think it's fake. And in order for it to be fake...journalists from around the world have to be in on it. Working together to make sure the fake news reported by BBC matches the fake news in the NYT or Der Spiegel or La Monde or whatever else. I can read "fake news" about Russian election meddling on any outlet (maybe except one) in the US...and then read about exactly the same thing in the papers from overseas. So...deeeeep rabbit hole.

"Fake news" is a ridiculous slippery slope. The only legitimately fake news was the stuff churned out during the election by teenagers in Eastern Europe to generate clicks on social media. That actually was entirely fabricated. Not that you'd see trump complaining about that stuff. He himself is by far the largest source of *actually* fake news. He just gets on twitter daily and makes shit up from the toilet. And then millions of spacemonkeys parrot it back at us all over the internet like a giant redneck botnet.

Tell me this, who has and speaks the guaranteed accurate truth???? NYT? ABC? CBS? FOX? CNN? MSNBC? BBC? AL JAZEERA? SNOPES? WIKI LEAKS? FACE BOOK? TWITTER? ALL OTHERS? So go ahead and tell me , Who do you think speaks the truth? Ethics is all but dead, its all about money and power.
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby ToddStarnes » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:23 pm

The first 9 you listed are generally very reliable and tell you when they are relying on uncertain sources or background material.

I imagine you lean more heavily on Facebook though.
ToddStarnes
Senator

Postby Kane » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:38 pm

ToddStarnes wrote:The first 9 you listed are generally very reliable and tell you when they are relying on uncertain sources or background material.

I imagine you lean more heavily on Facebook though.

I'm thinking it's more Pokemon Go.
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:47 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Spider wrote:

Tell me this, who has and speaks the guaranteed accurate truth???? NYT? ABC? CBS? FOX? CNN? MSNBC? BBC? AL JAZEERA? SNOPES? WIKI LEAKS? FACE BOOK? TWITTER? ALL OTHERS? So go ahead and tell me , Who do you think speaks the truth? Ethics is all but dead, its all about money and power.

as i said before

John Galt wrote:

yellow journalism has become particularly effective via social media, as traditional real news outlets (like CNN, NBC, NYT) were being outshouted by yellow journalism aka fake news (places like infowars, which exists soley to peddle shit -- their fake news and their fake products like InfowarsLife® Super Male Vitality™). real news places would have vetted a story like Pizzagate for veracity but infowars doesn't care. people think that just because NYT vetts stuff so must infowars and therefore they are equally legitimate. and this is the danger of social media. people think that there is no universal truth anyway so they just share and like complete horseshit. then they have the complete audacity to sit there and call real news like CNN or NBC "fake news". this is a very disturbing trend and Donald is just the ultimate expression of it, to debase all our institutions to a point we only feel the truthiness of a subject rather than seek the truth

there IS absolute truth. the postmodernist shit of equivocating brietbart and the BBC is just that, complete garbage. can the news media get things wrong? absolutely. most of the time they get it wrong during an unfolding story, although sometimes they research some things wrong. but this is very different than your typical yellow journalism websites like Infowars or similar newspapers like Weekly World News which just invents things out of whole cloth

they should be held accountable. but this also meand recognizing how social media has pushed actual fake news sites

check out this:

http://www.cnn-internationaledition.com

looks like CNN. except it also claims the security guard at the vegas hotel was a second shooter
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:54 pm

A good example is with Kelly today, taking the time to participate in some sort of false narrative that he was reported as being fired soon...when he wasn't. There was some speculation that Rex Tillerson may be on his way out...but I don't remember anyone claiming Kelly was going to be fired...mostly there had been speculation that he may quit. So here's trump, out of the blue pretending otherwise on twitter, and sending Kelly in front of the cameras to generate some ACTUALLY fake news. Perhaps as a deflection over the Tillerson noise.

All totally needlessly.

Journalists are going to speculate...and since the pile of bodies around the white house is quite deep, it's perfectly understandable speculation.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:02 pm

best sources of information are Reuters and AP. this is going to come right from the horses mouth. (disclaimer, I work for ThomsonReuters)

after that BBC, NYT, WSJ, and NPR

after that I'd check Bloomberg and maybe Guardian, CNN, ABC, NBC

If multiple of those agree that DOES NOT MEAN CONSPIRACY. jesus christ, take out a razor sometime and think about a monk named occam. it means it's closer to the truth of what happened

if there's another group talking about reptile men controlling us and making the frogs gay with chemicals in the water -- and hey why don't you buy this filtration system that stops chemicals from getting into you -- and NO ONE ELSE IS they are the ones you should be completely wary of

These users thanked the author John Galt for the post:
Kane
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Kane » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:07 pm

Spider wrote:A good example is with Kelly today, taking the time to participate in some sort of false narrative that he was reported as being fired soon...when he wasn't. There was some speculation that Rex Tillerson may be on his way out...but I don't remember anyone claiming Kelly was going to be fired...mostly there had been speculation that he may quit. So here's trump, out of the blue pretending otherwise on twitter, and sending Kelly in front of the cameras to generate some ACTUALLY fake news. Perhaps as a deflection over the Tillerson noise.

All totally needlessly.

Journalists are going to speculate...and since the pile of bodies around the white house is quite deep, it's perfectly understandable speculation.

I thought this was really odd as well - I'm actually wondering if this is a cry for help? "I'm not quitting or being fired to the best of my knowledge *Wink *Wink"

I haven't seen anything suggest Kelly is out. Maybe there was some backroom dealing and some back channel communications between Trump and legislators got f**k up and Trump wanted to clear the air publicly?

Still, odd.
Kane
Governor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion