Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

The place for general political discussion.

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby Philly » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:01 am

Saz wrote:
eynon81 wrote:
Saz wrote:Yea, you kind of hit on it at the end. He was a product of his time. But judging him by his character and how he carried himself and interacted with the black community, he came off as one of the greatest allies we have ever had. I shudder to think of what the 90's could have been like if we had another reagan in there instead of Clinton. I'm assuming he mitigated any damage done because he was a good guy who genuinley seemed to care about ALL americans, so any unhelpful policies made during his time I view as circumstance and not Clinton himself.



Reagan was also very much a product of his times.

Bush and Dole weren't so bad though, both pragmatic, both moderate. That said I don't think any policy friend of the black community was electable....violent crime was at record highs in the early 90s and the economic open-bar was still hopping (deregulate!).


I have nothing against Reagan personally. Libs talk about him like he was Hitler, but he seemed like a perfectly good guy who simply has different politics than me. I think part of the reason out politics are so shitty is because people want to make politics personal. We should be able to completely disagree on policy and still recognize most (not all though) people are just trying to do the right thing and have differences of opinion in how to go about that.

Reagan used very ideological and startling right wing rhetoric for his time. But he governed as a pragmatist. The reason liberals hate Reagan and conservatives worship him is that both see him as something he wasn't: a firebrand defender of conservative ideology in its purest form.

Just like liberals think he was the devil, conservatives think he was their perfect unicorn soulmate on all ideological matters but he was, in reality, significantly to the left of most current republicans on quite a few issues.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9332
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 944 times
Been thanked: 1097 times

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby eynon81 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:10 am

Philly2 wrote:
Saz wrote:
eynon81 wrote:
Saz wrote:Yea, you kind of hit on it at the end. He was a product of his time. But judging him by his character and how he carried himself and interacted with the black community, he came off as one of the greatest allies we have ever had. I shudder to think of what the 90's could have been like if we had another reagan in there instead of Clinton. I'm assuming he mitigated any damage done because he was a good guy who genuinley seemed to care about ALL americans, so any unhelpful policies made during his time I view as circumstance and not Clinton himself.



Reagan was also very much a product of his times.

Bush and Dole weren't so bad though, both pragmatic, both moderate. That said I don't think any policy friend of the black community was electable....violent crime was at record highs in the early 90s and the economic open-bar was still hopping (deregulate!).


I have nothing against Reagan personally. Libs talk about him like he was Hitler, but he seemed like a perfectly good guy who simply has different politics than me. I think part of the reason out politics are so shitty is because people want to make politics personal. We should be able to completely disagree on policy and still recognize most (not all though) people are just trying to do the right thing and have differences of opinion in how to go about that.

Reagan used very ideological and startling right wing rhetoric for his time. But he governed as a pragmatist. The reason liberals hate Reagan and conservatives worship him is that both see him as something he wasn't: a firebrand defender of conservative ideology in its purest form.

Just like liberals think he was the devil, conservatives think he was their perfect unicorn soulmate on all ideological matters but he was, in reality, significantly to the left of most current republicans on quite a few issues.


very true had a conversation in law-school where a Reagan worshiper lost his shit because I showed that ole' RR was pro-choice.

"but he spoke that the pro-life rally!"

"yeah...via video, he also was a pro-choice Gov in California prior to Roe."
User avatar
eynon81
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 19475
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Golden, Colorado
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3875 times
Been thanked: 1821 times
Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby Indy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:26 am

I have nothing against Reagan personally. Libs talk about him like he was Hitler, but he seemed like a perfectly good guy who simply has different politics than me. I think part of the reason out politics are so shitty is because people want to make politics personal. We should be able to completely disagree on policy and still recognize most (not all though) people are just trying to do the right thing and have differences of opinion in how to go about that.


You judge presidents by the agenda that was executed under their time, not whether or not they were a "good guy." I'm guessing you're being facetious with this, because if the standard is people "just trying to do the right thing," Hitler was trying to do the right thing in his mind.

Reagan certainly was a likable guy; unfortunately, it was with him that began the dismantling of traditional conservatism and certainly an assault on progressivism which led to the the barely recognizable "conservatives" that we have today--it's mutated that far.

What's so ironic is all the people who cite him like he's Jesus would do the exact same thing that happened to Jesus if Reagan were around today--by today's standards he'd be run out of town as a liberal socialist a-hole.
User avatar
Indy
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 8547
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:46 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 289 times
Political Leaning: Libertarian Socialist

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby lnrw » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:42 am

philly wrote:Just like liberals think he was the devil, conservatives think he was their perfect unicorn soulmate on all ideological matters but he was, in reality, significantly to the left of most current republicans on quite a few issues.


Justice is supposed to be blind, not the electorate. But they are.

BTW, that's twice this year we've agreed.
Image

Lifetime member of the NRA

These users thanked the author lnrw for the post:
eynon81
User avatar
lnrw
Governor
 
Posts: 3199
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:38 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 359 times
Been thanked: 256 times
Political Leaning: Libertarian

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby Philly » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:29 am

lnrw wrote:BTW, that's twice this year we've agreed.

Gross. One more and we have to start PMing to ask how the fam is doing. Let's do whatever it takes to avoid that
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9332
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 944 times
Been thanked: 1097 times

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby lnrw » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:28 pm

Philly2 wrote:
lnrw wrote:BTW, that's twice this year we've agreed.

Gross. One more and we have to start PMing to ask how the fam is doing. Let's do whatever it takes to avoid that


I was thinking hideous, but close enough.

One of us will have to quit posting, just in case, or maybe put each other on ignore.
Image

Lifetime member of the NRA
User avatar
lnrw
Governor
 
Posts: 3199
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:38 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 359 times
Been thanked: 256 times
Political Leaning: Libertarian

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby exploited » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:31 pm

Guys, don't be so childish.

Seppuku is the only appropriate response to a third time.
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 20562
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2120 times
Been thanked: 1670 times

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby lnrw » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:32 pm

exploited wrote:Guys, don't be so childish.

Seppuku is the only appropriate response to a third time.


Lead the way.
Image

Lifetime member of the NRA

These users thanked the author lnrw for the post (total 2):
exploitedPhilly
User avatar
lnrw
Governor
 
Posts: 3199
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:38 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 359 times
Been thanked: 256 times
Political Leaning: Libertarian

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby Philly » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:33 pm

lnrw wrote:
exploited wrote:Guys, don't be so childish.

Seppuku is the only appropriate response to a third time.


Lead the way.

Haha right on....wait......f**k :wall:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9332
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 944 times
Been thanked: 1097 times

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby NAB » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:42 pm

I, wholeheartedly, endorse the preceding messages.
Welcome to our speak board web page
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 7274
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 1035 times

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest