Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

The place for general political discussion.

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby eynon81 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:19 am

Saz wrote:
Video from : youtube.com


Dave is beyond reproach, he hit on my wife once and I was honored.

That said Clinton kinda sucked for black people...the short version would be the crime-bill (which perpetuated/increased police state shinnanagins against the black community) and he laid a lot of the ground work for the sub-prime crisis (which disproportionately affected black communities).

he also executed a mentally incompetent black man while governor.


NOW I UNDERSTAND that all that was a product of Bill's time, so it's not an attack as much as a "meh".
User avatar
eynon81
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 19475
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Golden, Colorado
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3875 times
Been thanked: 1821 times
Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby Philly » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:28 am

eynon81 wrote:
Saz wrote:
Video from : youtube.com


Dave is beyond reproach, he hit on my wife once and I was honored.

That said Clinton kinda sucked for black people...the short version would be the crime-bill (which perpetuated/increased police state shinnanagins against the black community) and he laid a lot of the ground work for the sub-prime crisis (which disproportionately affected black communities).

he also executed a mentally incompetent black man while governor.


NOW I UNDERSTAND that all that was a product of Bill's time, so it's not an attack as much as a "meh".

I vaguely remember life during Clinton's first term but I was too young to know shit about what was happening in politics. Chappelle basically said the same thing my folks told me when I asked them why Bill Clinton got the status of "first black president". He was the first president who showed an ability to make meaningful connections with the black community and talk to them in a way that seemed like he understood what was going on in their lives. "I feel your pain" is an out of context quote from Clinton that he actually made to an angry AIDS/HIV activist, but it's associated widely with his entire 1992 campaign, because people who were struggling or marginalized really believed that he did feel their pain.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

FREE MR. SHAMAN
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9289
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 937 times
Been thanked: 1078 times

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby Saz » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:30 am

Yea, you kind of hit on it at the end. He was a product of his time. But judging him by his character and how he carried himself and interacted with the black community, he came off as one of the greatest allies we have ever had. I shudder to think of what the 90's could have been like if we had another reagan in there instead of Clinton. I'm assuming he mitigated any damage done because he was a good guy who genuinley seemed to care about ALL americans, so any unhelpful policies made during his time I view as circumstance and not Clinton himself.
Ceterum autem censeo Dylan esse delendam
User avatar
Saz
Governor
 
Posts: 7921
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:37 am
Location: Airstrip One
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1029 times
Been thanked: 850 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby Philly » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:33 am

"Under Clinton, Blacks had an intelligent friend in the Oval Office. Oh, but Governments change. The election was stolen. We went from an intelligent friend to a dumb Dixiecrat, a rich Republican who has never held a job in his life – is against affirmative action, against education, against health care, against benefits for his own military, and gives tax breaks to he wealthiest contributors to his campaign."

-Jeremiah Wright
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

FREE MR. SHAMAN
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9289
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 937 times
Been thanked: 1078 times

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby Saz » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:38 am

I can't endorse the words of a man who seriously says GOD DAMN AMERICA. f**k him, he doesn't speak for me or any of the blacks I know.
Ceterum autem censeo Dylan esse delendam
User avatar
Saz
Governor
 
Posts: 7921
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:37 am
Location: Airstrip One
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1029 times
Been thanked: 850 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby Philly » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:43 am

He was just quoting the bible. It was a great speech overall with one controversial line. If you don't like him cause a 3 second out of context clip played ad nauseum on cable news you might as well cop a tricorn hat and go scream on the national mall that the supreme court is unconstitutional, or whatever they latest vein popper is for reptiles.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

FREE MR. SHAMAN
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9289
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 937 times
Been thanked: 1078 times

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby eynon81 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:50 am

Philly2 wrote:
eynon81 wrote:
Saz wrote:
Video from : youtube.com


Dave is beyond reproach, he hit on my wife once and I was honored.

That said Clinton kinda sucked for black people...the short version would be the crime-bill (which perpetuated/increased police state shinnanagins against the black community) and he laid a lot of the ground work for the sub-prime crisis (which disproportionately affected black communities).

he also executed a mentally incompetent black man while governor.


NOW I UNDERSTAND that all that was a product of Bill's time, so it's not an attack as much as a "meh".

I vaguely remember life during Clinton's first term but I was too young to know shit about what was happening in politics. Chappelle basically said the same thing my folks told me when I asked them why Bill Clinton got the status of "first black president". He was the first president who showed an ability to make meaningful connections with the black community and talk to them in a way that seemed like he understood what was going on in their lives. "I feel your pain" is an out of context quote from Clinton that he actually made to an angry AIDS/HIV activist, but it's associated widely with his entire 1992 campaign, because people who were struggling or marginalized really believed that he did feel their pain.


Bill did that with everybody the man is a social-einstein. It was what contrasted him against Bush who was more aloof (but probably a better president).
User avatar
eynon81
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 19475
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Golden, Colorado
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3875 times
Been thanked: 1821 times
Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby eynon81 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:54 am

Saz wrote:Yea, you kind of hit on it at the end. He was a product of his time. But judging him by his character and how he carried himself and interacted with the black community, he came off as one of the greatest allies we have ever had. I shudder to think of what the 90's could have been like if we had another reagan in there instead of Clinton. I'm assuming he mitigated any damage done because he was a good guy who genuinley seemed to care about ALL americans, so any unhelpful policies made during his time I view as circumstance and not Clinton himself.



Reagan was also very much a product of his times.

Bush and Dole weren't so bad though, both pragmatic, both moderate. That said I don't think any policy friend of the black community was electable....violent crime was at record highs in the early 90s and the economic open-bar was still hopping (deregulate!).
User avatar
eynon81
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 19475
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Golden, Colorado
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3875 times
Been thanked: 1821 times
Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby eynon81 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:55 am

Philly2 wrote:He was just quoting the bible. It was a great speech overall with one controversial line. If you don't like him cause a 3 second out of context clip played ad nauseum on cable news you might as well cop a tricorn hat and go scream on the national mall that the supreme court is unconstitutional, or whatever they latest vein popper is for reptiles.



religious conservatives say this kind of shit all the time.
User avatar
eynon81
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 19475
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Golden, Colorado
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3875 times
Been thanked: 1821 times
Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Re: Sanders interrupted by Black Lives Matter protest

Postby Saz » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:56 am

eynon81 wrote:
Saz wrote:Yea, you kind of hit on it at the end. He was a product of his time. But judging him by his character and how he carried himself and interacted with the black community, he came off as one of the greatest allies we have ever had. I shudder to think of what the 90's could have been like if we had another reagan in there instead of Clinton. I'm assuming he mitigated any damage done because he was a good guy who genuinley seemed to care about ALL americans, so any unhelpful policies made during his time I view as circumstance and not Clinton himself.



Reagan was also very much a product of his times.

Bush and Dole weren't so bad though, both pragmatic, both moderate. That said I don't think any policy friend of the black community was electable....violent crime was at record highs in the early 90s and the economic open-bar was still hopping (deregulate!).


I have nothing against Reagan personally. Libs talk about him like he was Hitler, but he seemed like a perfectly good guy who simply has different politics than me. I think part of the reason out politics are so shitty is because people want to make politics personal. We should be able to completely disagree on policy and still recognize most (not all though) people are just trying to do the right thing and have differences of opinion in how to go about that.
Ceterum autem censeo Dylan esse delendam

These users thanked the author Saz for the post:
eynon81
User avatar
Saz
Governor
 
Posts: 7921
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:37 am
Location: Airstrip One
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1029 times
Been thanked: 850 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests