Thank you President Obama?

The place for general political discussion.

Thank you President Obama?

Postby exploited » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:12 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... story.html

“These men and women were not hardened criminals, but the overwhelming majority had been sentenced to at least 20 years,” he said. “I believe that at its heart, America is a nation of second chances. And I believe these folks deserve their second chance.” He noted that in his letters to them, he urged that they make different choices now that their sentences had been commuted.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/gov ... g-at-this/

What I am doing at the federal level is asking my Department of Justice just to examine generally how we are treating nonviolent drug offenders.

Because I think you’re right, what we have done is instead of focusing on treatment, the same way we focused say with tobacco or drunk driving or other problems where we treat it as a public health problem, we’ve treated this exclusively as a criminal problem. And I think that it’s been counterproductive and it’s been devastating in a lot of minority communities. It presents the possibility at least of unequal application of the law and that has to be changed.

Now the good news is that we’re starting to get some interest from Republicans as well as Democrats in reforming the criminal justice system. We’ve been able to initiate some changes administratively and last year you had the first time in 40 years where the crime rate and the incarceration rate went down at the same time. I hope we can continue with those trends because they’re just a smarter way of dealing with these issues.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/04/08/health-s ... lower.html

The lingering effects of the recession, slow income growth and possibly Obamacare are all contributing to a sharp drop in estimates of how much will be spent on health care through the rest of this decade.

A report issued Wednesday says that the most recent official projections indicate that the U.S. will spend $2.5 trillion less on health care from 2014 until 2019 than had been originally estimated at the time the Affordable Care Act became law in 2010.

That represents a nearly 11 percent decrease in projected spending, according to the report issued by the Urban Institute, with support from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33792567

In a speech at a Washington DC university he said the agreement is publicly supported by every country in the world, except for Israel.

He described a forthcoming congressional vote on lifting sanctions as either a vote for war or for peace.

Members of Congress have come under intense pressure from Israeli interest groups to reject the deal.

Mr Obama described it as the "strongest non-proliferation agreement ever negotiated".

He equated those who oppose the deal with the supporters of the American invasion of Iraq.

"The same mindset, in many cases offered by the same people - who seem to have no compunction with being repeatedly wrong - led to a war that did more to strengthen Iran, more to isolate the United States, than anything we have done before or since."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/11 ... -ferguson/

“Those who think what happened in Ferguson is an excuse for violence, I have no sympathy for that,” Obama said to applause. “I have no sympathy at all for destroying your own communities. For the overwhelming majority who just feel frustrated and pained because they get a sense that some individuals aren’t treated fairly or some individuals aren’t seen as worthy as others, I understand that.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence ... y-decision

“You know I say what I mean and I mean what I say,” Obama said in Hollywood, Florida on Nov. 4, 2012. “I said I'd end the war in Iraq. I ended it.”

ISIL poses a threat to the people of Iraq and Syria, and the broader Middle East—including American citizens, personnel, and facilities. If left unchecked, these terrorists could pose a growing threat beyond that region, including to the United States. While we have not yet detected specific plotting against our homeland, ISIL leaders have threatened America and our allies.”

“We cannot do for Iraqis what they must do for themselves, nor can we take the place of Arab partners in securing their region.”

“We will also support Iraq’s efforts to stand up National Guard units to help Sunni communities secure their own freedom from ISIL’s control. Across the border, in Syria, we have ramped up our military assistance to the Syrian opposition.”

“[W]e cannot rely on an Assad regime that terrorizes its people—a regime that will never regain the legitimacy it has lost. Instead, we must strengthen the opposition as the best counterweight to extremists like ISIL, while pursuing the political solution necessary to solve Syria’s crisis once and for all.”

http://useconomy.about.com/od/people/p/ ... licies.htm

In February 2009, Congress approved Obama's $787 billion economic stimulus package.

It gave tax cuts, extended unemployment benefits and expedited funds for public works projects. The recession ended when GDP growth turned positive by the third quarter of 2009. In just seven months, it pumped $241.9 billion to the economy, stirring growth to a robust 3.9% by early 2010.

Job losses stopped in March 2010, and unemployment has steadily declined from its 2009 peak of 10.2%. By March 30, 2011, nearly all ($633.5 billion) of the funds were spent. Growth slowed, and unemployment remained stuck at 9.1%. Despite the plan's success in ending the recession, some critics said it was ineffectual, while others said it wasn't enough.

This included a bailout of the U.S. auto industry. On March 30, 2009, the Federal government took over GM and Chrysler. Obama saved three million jobs by forcing the companies to become more fuel efficient and therefore more globally competitive.

I think it would only be right if we all thanked Obama for his service, now that America has moved onto its favourite pageant.. While it is true that he did many horrible and unconscionable things during his reign, Obama performed spectacularly on many fronts, proving to be just the type of polymath America needs. What say you?
Last edited by exploited on Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exploited
Vice President

Re: Thank you President Obama?

Postby Kane » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:29 pm

His accomplishments on trade and diplomacy in particular are heavily underrepresented. He has spent both his terms replacing broken ties as well as positioning the US such that it acts as a counterweight to growing powers in different regions of the world. When contrasted with the US global standing before he came into office his accomplishments here can't be seen as anything other than short of spectacular. The next President to take his place need only to capitalize on groundwork already laid down for them.
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby exploited » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:01 pm

You didn't say thank you.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Philly » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:07 pm

These users thanked the author Philly for the post:
exploited
Philly
Governor

Postby exploited » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:35 am

Damn. It's astounding that a man who served eight years, in what I imagine is the most difficult, stressful and all-consuming job in the world, can't even get the respect he deserves. Without his efforts where would America be? Probably sleeping on a bench somewhere.

Since nobody here has class except for Philly, I guess it's up to the Canadian to show some basic gratitude and appreciation.

exploited
Vice President

Postby exploited » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:42 am

exploited
Vice President

Postby Saz » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:52 am

Nah. He had a supermajority for a while. He didn't accomplish enough and certainly didn't do enough for the young people that voted him into office. Still better than the reptile alternatives though, so I guess Obombs gets a gold star for being better than W.
Pun intended for the plebes on here who don't get a joke

These users thanked the author Saz for the post:
eynon81
Saz
Governor

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby exploited » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:00 am

Saz wrote:Nah. He had a supermajority for a while. He didn't accomplish enough and certainly didn't do enough for the young people that voted him into office. Still better than the reptile alternatives though, so I guess Obombs gets a gold star for being better than W.

Anyways, I'll just say it for you: "Thank you President Obama."
exploited
Vice President

Postby spacemonkey » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:03 pm

Well, one thing he did get done was to get white hair. Already looks like uncle Ben (on the rice box) and he ain't even done yet.
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby NAB » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:15 pm

شكرا أوباما
Welcome to our speak board web page
NAB
Governor

Return to General Discussion