Can anybody calm Obama down?

The place for general political discussion.

Re: Can anybody calm Obama down?

Postby Aaron » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:35 am

Libertarian602 wrote:The Iraq debacle has runined any chance of the U.S. launching preemptive war, anytime soon. Clearly there's some irrational fear permeating this thread.


Yeah ISIS says you don't know shit about open doors in geopolitics
Image

STOP LEGISLATED MORALITY. BAN SOCIAL CONSERVATISM.

These users thanked the author Aaron for the post:
Kane
User avatar
Aaron
Banned
Banned
 
Posts: 2312
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:52 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 176 times
Been thanked: 340 times
Political Leaning: Liberal

Re: Can anybody calm Obama down?

Postby Spider » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:42 am

Libertarian602 wrote:So, the U.S. Is just going to barge back into Iraq, and launch a invasion of Iran? Ya, not so much.
And yes, Iraq can say no. Which they would certainly say. Nobody in the international community would support, an invasion of Iran. And the U.S. would have to pretty much have to invade Iraq to springboard into Iran. So yes, claiming up a invasion of Iran via Iraq, is not only unrealistic, it would be idiotic.


Nearly everything the West has done in that region in living memory has been idiotic. Don't conflate points about how things would go down with arguments about whether or not they should.

Hell, look how much shit Obama too over leaving Iraq at all. A lot of people seem to think it should have wound up a puppet state we occupy in perpetuity.
"Freedom is the increased knowledge of that which you can do without." -Thoreau
User avatar
Spider
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 11071
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Out in the sticks.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 815 times
Been thanked: 998 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: Can anybody calm Obama down?

Postby Kane » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:00 am

"ISIS got as powerful as it did because we abandoned Iraq" said every establishment GOP representative ever.
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.

These users thanked the author Kane for the post:
Spider
User avatar
Kane
Governor
 
Posts: 6378
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:09 pm
Location: The Yay
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 234 times
Been thanked: 456 times
Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Re: Can anybody calm Obama down?

Postby exploited » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:06 am

Kane wrote:"ISIS got as powerful as it did because we abandoned Iraq" said every establishment GOP representative ever.


That's true though. Are you disputing that? ISIL wouldn't have Iraq without the US setting up giant terrorist training facilities all over occupied Iraq, and then failing to get the country to a stable place before leaving.

These users thanked the author exploited for the post:
Saz
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 20435
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2091 times
Been thanked: 1662 times

Re: Can anybody calm Obama down?

Postby Libertarian602 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:23 pm

Aaron wrote:
Libertarian602 wrote:The Iraq debacle has runined any chance of the U.S. launching preemptive war, anytime soon. Clearly there's some irrational fear permeating this thread.


Yeah ISIS says you don't know shit about open doors in geopolitics

What are you talking about, do you even know?
What about ISIS that confirms your absurd notion?

Truth is, one moron in the GOP is talking about sending troops back into Iraq, and he has no chance of winning. These candidates talk tough about Isis, but they know the country has no appetite for another ground war in the Middle East. And they sure as f**k would have no international support. Which goes back to my original point, a invasion of Iran isn't going to happen, and a invasion via Iraq won't happen either. It's absurd to think it can possibly happen.
“Liberty has not only enemies which it conquers, but perfidious friends, who rob the fruits of its victories: Absolute democracy, socialism.”
-Lord Acton
User avatar
Libertarian602
Senator
 
Posts: 1304
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:29 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 177 times
Been thanked: 135 times
Political Leaning: Libertarian

Re: Can anybody calm Obama down?

Postby Libertarian602 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:30 pm

Spider wrote:
Libertarian602 wrote:So, the U.S. Is just going to barge back into Iraq, and launch a invasion of Iran? Ya, not so much.
And yes, Iraq can say no. Which they would certainly say. Nobody in the international community would support, an invasion of Iran. And the U.S. would have to pretty much have to invade Iraq to springboard into Iran. So yes, claiming up a invasion of Iran via Iraq, is not only unrealistic, it would be idiotic.


Nearly everything the West has done in that region in living memory has been idiotic. Don't conflate points about how things would go down with arguments about whether or not they should.

Hell, look how much shit Obama too over leaving Iraq at all. A lot of people seem to think it should have wound up a puppet state we occupy in perpetuity.

Obama had no choice in the matter, and believe it or not he did try to extend the U.S. presence in Iraq, but the Iraqis said no. The only condition they would allow U.S. troops, if under a SOFA agreement that US troops would be subject to Iraqi law, which no Commander-in-Chief would agree too. I fault Obama for allot of issues, but the withdrawal from Iraq isn't one of them.
“Liberty has not only enemies which it conquers, but perfidious friends, who rob the fruits of its victories: Absolute democracy, socialism.”
-Lord Acton
User avatar
Libertarian602
Senator
 
Posts: 1304
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:29 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 177 times
Been thanked: 135 times
Political Leaning: Libertarian

Re: Can anybody calm Obama down?

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:34 pm

Our best bet is just sit back and watch those fools kill each other. **==
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor
 
Posts: 4471
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:54 am
Location: cyberspace
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 261 times

Re: Can anybody calm Obama down?

Postby The Comrade » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:55 pm

exploited wrote:
Kane wrote:"ISIS got as powerful as it did because we abandoned Iraq" said every establishment GOP representative ever.


That's true though. Are you disputing that? ISIL wouldn't have Iraq without the US setting up giant terrorist training facilities all over occupied Iraq, and then failing to get the country to a stable place before leaving.



there's a very good chance ISIS would have hit iraq as well. assuming saddam was still in power, his army would still be weak as shit, and he'd likely be fighting a civil war over the arab spring or shia militias because of iran or whatever. the idea that iraq would be stable today if not for us is pretty optimistic. that place has been a time bomb since forever.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
The Comrade
Vice President
 
Posts: 17903
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Yugoslavia
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1186 times
Been thanked: 1803 times
Political Leaning: Socialist

Re: Can anybody calm Obama down?

Postby spacemonkey » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:55 am

Kane wrote:"ISIS got as powerful as it did because we abandoned Iraq" said every establishment GOP representative ever.

Sometime what fills the void is worse then what was removed.
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor
 
Posts: 4471
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:54 am
Location: cyberspace
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 261 times

Re: Can anybody calm Obama down?

Postby exploited » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:23 pm

The Comrade wrote:
exploited wrote:
Kane wrote:"ISIS got as powerful as it did because we abandoned Iraq" said every establishment GOP representative ever.


That's true though. Are you disputing that? ISIL wouldn't have Iraq without the US setting up giant terrorist training facilities all over occupied Iraq, and then failing to get the country to a stable place before leaving.



there's a very good chance ISIS would have hit iraq as well. assuming saddam was still in power, his army would still be weak as shit, and he'd likely be fighting a civil war over the arab spring or shia militias because of iran or whatever. the idea that iraq would be stable today if not for us is pretty optimistic. that place has been a time bomb since forever.


I don't think it would be a stable place, but it would be a hell of a lot better than a country destroyed by an invasion.
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 20435
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2091 times
Been thanked: 1662 times

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests