Toyota vehicles more than 90% made in USA?

Re: Toyota vehicles more than 90% made in USA?

Postby Spider » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:02 am

Agreed.
Every dark cloud has a silver lining. But lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Supposn » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:01 pm

Winchester wrote:
The reason American car companies don't want to build here is spelled UAW.
We can manufacture in the US and build excellent products, however the union's refusal to change with the times and IMO are still living in the 1950's and 60's. That model doesn't work anymore. The frustrating thing is workers in Japanese plants make good money and are happy, so what the hell is the UAW trying to protect. They're failing and we're losing jobs overseas because of them.

http://www.automotive.com/news/uaw-and- ... sted-1478/

Winchester, since the passage of the federal Taft Hartley Act and other laws having almost entirely eliminated the “union shop”, labor unions positive affects upon USA wage rates have been
severely and continuously reduced.

[The expenditure method is the usually used formula employed by the world’s creditable economists and statisticians to calculate gross domestic product, (GDP). Whenever official USA documents refer to GDP, they are referring to GDP calculated by that method within which negative balances of trade, (i.e. trade deficits) reduce the resulting calculations of GDPs].

Despite unions continuous lesser affects upon USA’s median wage you contend that labor unions are the net contributors rather than all employees being the net victims of USA’s chronic annual trade deficits of goods?
Annual trade deficits are a drag upon USA’s GDP and numbers of jobs, (which include but are only a small portion of USA jobs). A drag upon numbers of jobs is also of some detriment to their wage rates.

For a remedy, google Wikipedia’s “Import Certificates” article.
Respectfully, Supposn
Supposn
Mayor

Postby Spider » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:58 pm

This is about the UAW. Not collective bargaining in general.

And the UAW is famously bad news. Its the best example we've got of a union that completely jumped the shark and nearly destroyed its own industry.
Every dark cloud has a silver lining. But lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby Supposn » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:51 pm

Spider wrote:This is about the UAW. Not collective bargaining in general.

And the UAW is famously bad news. Its the best example we've got of a union that completely jumped the shark and nearly destroyed its own industry.

Spider, the problem is not basically about collective bargaining or the UAW or organized labor or the federal minimum wage. It is about our nation’s educational and training systems, USA voters and those we elect to office, and our government policies for conducting our international trade.

Through less than honest means it is possible but certainly less feasible to induce agreement from others for what they (usually correctly) perceive to be contrary to their own best interests.
Improving our negotiating skills will not entirely or almost entirely eliminate USA’s chronic annual trade deficits of goods.

It is more feasible to change the laws and regulations governing our global trade policy in order to induce others to behave in manners that are no longer detrimental to our own economy.
USA’s adoption of the trade policy described by Wikipedia’s “Import Certificates” article would entirely or almost entirely eliminate USA’s chronic annual trade deficits of goods, increase our GDP and numbers of jobs.

Respectfully, Supposn
Supposn
Mayor

Postby Spider » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:18 pm

Supposn wrote:
Spider wrote:This is about the UAW. Not collective bargaining in general.

Spider, the problem is not basically about collective bargaining or the UAW or organized labor or the federal minimum wage. It is about our nation’s educational and training systems, USA voters and those we elect to office, and our government policies for conducting our international trade.

Through less than honest means it is possible but certainly less feasible to induce agreement from others for what they (usually correctly) perceive to be contrary to their own best interests.
Improving our negotiating skills will not entirely or almost entirely eliminate USA’s chronic annual trade deficits of goods.

It is more feasible to change the laws and regulations governing our global trade policy in order to induce others to behave in manners that are no longer detrimental to our own economy.
USA’s adoption of the trade policy described by Wikipedia’s “Import Certificates” article would entirely or almost entirely eliminate USA’s chronic annual trade deficits of goods, increase our GDP and numbers of jobs.

Respectfully, Supposn

You should really try reading these articles you think are going to "remedy" something. If you actually knew what you were talking about, you'd drop your own positions.

Get a clue.

And yes...in this context, the problem is that the UAW completely f**k up. Completely. That is the problem.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby Supposn » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:18 pm

Spider wrote:You should really try reading these articles you think are going to "remedy" something. If you actually knew what you were talking about, you'd drop your own positions.

Get a clue.

And yes...in this context, the problem is that the UAW completely f**k up. Completely. That is the problem.

Spider, you oppose the remedy that I favor, (i.e. as described within Wikipedia’s “Import Certificates” article) but you’re unable to logically argue against it?

I don’t doubt that you believe yourself to be correct. What remedy do you suggest? Why haven’t you explained what you consider to be a remedy and logically defending it against its faults as perceived by others?

Respectfully, Supposn
Supposn
Mayor

Postby Supposn » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:04 pm

Winchester, within my post of 1:01 PM, 31AUG2016 I failed to respond to your question “The frustrating thing is workers in Japanese plants make good money and are happy, so what the hell is the UAW trying to protect”?

The UAW’s first priorities should be and I would hope that they are to protect
USA employees and particularly USA employees that are UAW members. Why would you believe that prioritize your own best interests is wrong?

The short answer to your question is that UAW, (a USA labor organization’s) first regard is for employees within the USA before they consider workers employed in foreign lands.

I also note that some of my post’s words were inadvertently dropped.
My sentence, “Annual trade deficits are a drag upon USA’s GDP and numbers of jobs, (which include but are only a small portion of USA jobs)”,
should have been
“Annual trade deficits are a drag upon USA’s GDP and numbers of jobs, (which include union jobs that only are a small portion of all USA jobs)”.

Respectfully, Supposn

Supposn wrote:
Winchester wrote:
The reason American car companies don't want to build here is spelled UAW.
We can manufacture in the US and build excellent products, however the union's refusal to change with the times and IMO are still living in the 1950's and 60's. That model doesn't work anymore. The frustrating thing is workers in Japanese plants make good money and are happy, so what the hell is the UAW trying to protect. They're failing and we're losing jobs overseas because of them.

http://www.automotive.com/news/uaw-and- ... sted-1478/

Winchester, since the passage of the federal Taft Hartley Act and other laws having almost entirely eliminated the “union shop”, labor unions positive affects upon USA wage rates have been
severely and continuously reduced.

[The expenditure method is the usually used formula employed by the world’s creditable economists and statisticians to calculate gross domestic product, (GDP). Whenever official USA documents refer to GDP, they are referring to GDP calculated by that method within which negative balances of trade, (i.e. trade deficits) reduce the resulting calculations of GDPs].

Despite unions continuous lesser affects upon USA’s median wage you contend that labor unions are the net contributors rather than all employees being the net victims of USA’s chronic annual trade deficits of goods?
Annual trade deficits are a drag upon USA’s GDP and numbers of jobs, (which include but are only a small portion of USA jobs). A drag upon numbers of jobs is also of some detriment to their wage rates.

Respectfully, Supposn
Supposn
Mayor

Postby IndependentProfessor » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:25 am

I'm pretty sure that almost every Toyota that is made these days for sale in the US is more American than any American car I've every owned (save my 1966 Mustang).

I owned 3 models of the 4th-Gen F-body (Camaro/Firebird). It's a Camaro - the "All-American Muscle Car", right? Not really.

The LS1 engine in those cars was made at the St. Catharines engine plant in Ontario, Canada.
The Tremec T-6 transmission was made in Mexico (Tremec is a Mexican company).
The radio was German.
The shocks were Swedish.
And it was all assembled at the St. Therese assembly plant in Quebec, Canada.

So, yeah - this car is an import car.
IndependentProfessor
Congressman

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Winchester » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:14 am

IndependentProfessor wrote:I'm pretty sure that almost every Toyota that is made these days for sale in the US is more American than any American car I've every owned (save my 1966 Mustang).

I owned 3 models of the 4th-Gen F-body (Camaro/Firebird). It's a Camaro - the "All-American Muscle Car", right? Not really.

The LS1 engine in those cars was made at the St. Catharines engine plant in Ontario, Canada.
The Tremec T-6 transmission was made in Mexico (Tremec is a Mexican company).
The radio was German.
The shocks were Swedish.
And it was all assembled at the St. Therese assembly plant in Quebec, Canada.

So, yeah - this car is an import car.

Owning a '66 Mustang and or Corvette are on my bucket list. Gonna have to wait a decade or so.
Winchester
Governor

Postby IndependentProfessor » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:34 am

Mustang is easily doable. Very simple cars. And cheap if you don't go for a "numbers matching" or rare one. Get one with some problems. Parts are cheap, and a philips screwdriver, 3 sizes of sockets, and a crescent wrench takes the entire car apart.
IndependentProfessor
Congressman

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

PreviousNext

Return to Economy