Toyota vehicles more than 90% made in USA?

Re: Toyota vehicles more than 90% made in USA?

Postby Saz » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:34 am

IndependentProfessor wrote:I'm pretty sure that almost every Toyota that is made these days for sale in the US is more American than any American car I've every owned (save my 1966 Mustang).

I owned 3 models of the 4th-Gen F-body (Camaro/Firebird). It's a Camaro - the "All-American Muscle Car", right? Not really.

The LS1 engine in those cars was made at the St. Catharines engine plant in Ontario, Canada.
The Tremec T-6 transmission was made in Mexico (Tremec is a Mexican company).
The radio was German.
The shocks were Swedish.
And it was all assembled at the St. Therese assembly plant in Quebec, Canada.

So, yeah - this car is an import car.

This is because of NAFTA and the Unions. American automakers used to produce in and around Detroit. But thanks to absurd Union bullshit, and NAFTA opening up Canada and Mexico, it make more sense for them to shift production across the border to Canada or import rock bottom parts from mejico.

Foreign companies are primarily Japanese or Korean, and for a long time (still really in the case of japan) we had lose trading agreements with those countries and so autos and parts were heavily taxed on import. It made sense for them to shift production to the US to avoid those tariffs, and when they did they all built plants in the south or indiana, where none of that union bullshit is tolerated.

Thats why foreign cars are more American than American cars. Not that important for the jobs picture either way though as robots have hollowed out most of these plants since they can do a better job than some eminem look alike.
Pun intended for the plebes on here who don't get a joke
Saz
Governor

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby IndependentProfessor » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:52 am

True, Saz.

Want a handmade car? Buy a Ferrari. But, do it quick, because even they are getting really automated.
IndependentProfessor
Congressman

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Saz » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:20 am

Why the hell would I want a handmade car? Like I said, I trust a robot before i would trust your average guy from Detroit or some Italian village.
Pun intended for the plebes on here who don't get a joke
Saz
Governor

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Spider » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:29 pm

IndependentProfessor wrote:Mustang is easily doable. Very simple cars. And cheap if you don't go for a "numbers matching" or rare one. Get one with some problems. Parts are cheap, and a philips screwdriver, 3 sizes of sockets, and a crescent wrench takes the entire car apart.

The old Mustangs in particular, I think you could actually construct a new one by mail ordering all the parts and bolting them together. Right down to the sub frames.
Every dark cloud has a silver lining. But lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby IndependentProfessor » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:50 pm

Spider wrote:
IndependentProfessor wrote:Mustang is easily doable. Very simple cars. And cheap if you don't go for a "numbers matching" or rare one. Get one with some problems. Parts are cheap, and a philips screwdriver, 3 sizes of sockets, and a crescent wrench takes the entire car apart.

The old Mustangs in particular, I think you could actually construct a new one by mail ordering all the parts and bolting them together. Right down to the sub frames.

You totally can. Even get much better parts doing it that way. They've relocated several suspension points, put on modern brakes, and some other things. You can actually have a darn nice car that way.
IndependentProfessor
Congressman

Postby Spider » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:36 pm

IndependentProfessor wrote:
Spider wrote:

You totally can. Even get much better parts doing it that way. They've relocated several suspension points, put on modern brakes, and some other things. You can actually have a darn nice car that way.

At tremendous expense, no doubt. Wonder if anyone's actually done it?
Every dark cloud has a silver lining. But lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby IndependentProfessor » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:49 am

Spider wrote:
IndependentProfessor wrote:
Spider wrote:

At tremendous expense, no doubt. Wonder if anyone's actually done it?

If you build it yourself, it'll be about $40,000. Racing friend of mine looked into it. He calculated all the costs and came up with $35,000, plus gave himself a $5000 cushion for unforeseen stuff (bolts not included with parts, replacing the odd part that he broke, etc.). But, figure on spending upwards of 1500 hours to build it. That's around 2 years, at a couple hours per night.

However, when you finish, you could then sell it for $100k+. (That's the price for a brand new one delivered to your door from somewhere like Revology Cars.)
IndependentProfessor
Congressman

Postby Supposn » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:29 am

NAB wrote:You believe and have doubts. Ok, got any stats to back it up?

I do know the cost of living in Japan is approx 25% higher than the US is on average, so the labor force in the US should come at a savings to Japanese automakers. At least it would appear so at first blush.

I have doubts as to what portions of those vehicles' components and materials are derived from USA rather than foreign labor. I question Toyota’s claim that their USA assembled vehicles are over 90% USA made.

NAB, I do not claim to know, but when I see so many components under the hoods of Toyota with foreign rather than English markings upon them, I strongly suspect that those production costs are not 90% attributable to USA components, materials, labor and production facilities.

I suspect that they’re fudging their figures and cooking their books to include the advertisement, distribution, and post-sales support of their products to justify that 90% figure. The entire economic differences between domestic and imported goods occur within the tasks of their production.
Beyond the products reaching their domestic producers’ shipping platforms or imported products reaching the point beyond which they’re under the importing nation’s jurisdiction and being handled by the importing nation’s laborers, there’s no economic differences between similar domestic or imported goods.

The only differences between USA shop repairing a domestic or imported product would possibly be the origin of parts and materials used to make the repairs. There’s no economic differences between domestic or imported vehicle being gassed up or washed and waxed in a USA facility.

Respectfully, Supposn
Supposn
Mayor

Postby spacemonkey » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:05 pm

We bought a GM car. The instrument cluster went out after a few years. After dealer repair, they said it was from Mexico, and had a history of going bad. They also said that when you pay three dollar wage, you get three dollar quality. The replacement was made here and is still doing ok. They are learning that cutting corners to save a buck (cheap labor) is costing more in the long run.
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby IndependentProfessor » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:43 pm

spacemonkey wrote:We bought a GM car. The instrument cluster went out after a few years. After dealer repair, they said it was from Mexico, and had a history of going bad. They also said that when you pay three dollar wage, you get three dollar quality. The replacement was made here and is still doing ok. They are learning that cutting corners to save a buck (cheap labor) is costing more in the long run.

This begs the question - why not just make that same cluster in America, with illegal Mexican workers being paid $3 per hour? :-?
IndependentProfessor
Congressman

Previous

Return to Economy