GM pays $900 million to US government to prevent charges

Re: GM pays $900 million to US government to prevent charges

Postby Dylan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:39 pm

Inzomniac wrote:
Dylan wrote:Why?

In America, you can own a gun. In China, it's dangerous to even own an opinion.

The Chinese people must fight for their freedom or they will remain oppressed slaves.

Until then, the sociopathic corporatists will continue to exploit her people all they can.

Sure but you're making a relative assessment. Has this been better in the past and I wasn't aware of it?
Dylan
Vice President

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Kane » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:03 pm

uebermann wrote:
Inzomniac wrote:In China, it's dangerous to even own an opinion.

Eh, China isn't that bad any more. Granted, there still is oppression going on but we have that going on here in the good ole USA as well so I don't think the US can claim a huge moral high ground on the topic of libery/freedom.

Maybe in years past but not now.

I'm gonna have to emphatically disagree with you on this one bud.
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Dylan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:08 pm

ha yup, me too. In the US you can pretty much say what you want, but it might be stored in some database somewhere (along with info on means of communications, etc.). I know it's invasive but it's not suppressing speech. China suppresses and censors a lot.
Dylan
Vice President

Postby Inzomniac » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:10 pm

uebermann wrote:
Inzomniac wrote:In China, it's dangerous to even own an opinion.

Eh, China isn't that bad any more. Granted, there still is oppression going on but we have that going on here in the good ole USA as well so I don't think the US can claim a huge moral high ground on the topic of libery/freedom.

Maybe in years past but not now.

What would it take if US/China/Russia had to cooperate to create a global government? I don't think we have the years left of the progress needed to make that happen. And if it doesn't happen, when the US economy tanks because of the debt, it will tank the world economy as well. All of the most significant problems are connected: Illegal immigration, environmental destruction, worker rights, etc: they are global problems that require a global solution. As of right now, we have two choices: One, the most oppressive tax scheme Americans have ever faced or, two, we offload at least some of the debt in our own system into a global currency. It's better for the world to share a currency and for it to be devalued somewhat than for one country to go down and take everyone else with them. I believe in a weak global government. I think it is important that countries and states still have their own sovereignty and money, but we need to get cooperation on certain things at an international level. Countries need to sit down at a table and come up with a plan that everyone can agree to and not attempt to create any global government beyond that. To me, that is the ideal global government and the only one within our reach.

Anyway, this is a complex issue. It can't all be addressed in one post.
The truth is a bitter pill.
Inzomniac
Council Member

Postby Kane » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:19 am

....why would US debt tank the global economy?
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Inzomniac » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:17 am

Kane wrote:....why would US debt tank the global economy?

Well, for starters, China has the second largest economy, and they own lots of the debt. But there are other reasons as well...
The truth is a bitter pill.
Inzomniac
Council Member

Postby Dylan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:07 am

Right but USD is untouchable. The only way it could simultaneously cause a catastrophic event in the US and China is if its value collapsed, and that won't happen because it remains (and is poised to remain) the world reserve currency for at least the next few decades. The only other contenders (renminbi and Euro) are in no position to assume the mantle (unstable economy with no track record of prudent fiscal management and recent track record of amateurish fiscal management and.....well, the Euro :)) ).
Dylan
Vice President

Postby exploited » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:10 am

Dylan wrote:Right but USD is untouchable. The only way it could simultaneously cause a catastrophic event in the US and China is if its value collapsed, and that won't happen because it remains (and is poised to remain) the world reserve currency for at least the next few decades. The only other contenders (renminbi and Euro) are in no position to assume the mantle (unstable economy with no track record of prudent fiscal management and recent track record of amateurish fiscal management and.....well, the Euro :)) ).

BitCoin will be the new reserve currency. It will be backed by the hairs of neckbeards.
exploited
Vice President

Previous

Return to Economy