[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Are capitalism and democracy even compatible? • Page 3 • Economy • Political Crossfire Forums

Are capitalism and democracy even compatible?

Re: Are capitalism and democracy even compatible?

Postby exploited » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:39 pm

exploited
Vice President

Postby The Dharma Bum » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:46 pm

Its a pretty extensive subject but self management can work in the context of market distribution. I'd argue that industry is the most important of human activities and that worker self management is an essential component of any healthy society, mainly because of the requirements of the human psyche but for many other reasons as well.

People need to be in real control of their own lives. They need to get the full measure of their productive expenditure from their employment.

The issue is important because our current mode of production is highly destructive. It's an existential issue. We have to change. This is part of that progress.
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby The Dharma Bum » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:55 pm

The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Postby eynon81 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:11 pm

eynon81
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Postby exploited » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Well, like I said, if what you are suggesting is that we decide what the appropriate guaranteed minimum income is, as a democracy, and then give it to everyone, I'm sold.

But beyond that, I firmly believe competition has a healthy role to play in our society. I like private enterprise. I like some degree of wage inequality. I like free markets. Cooperation has been crushed by competition in our society, but I don't think the proper response is for cooperation to crush competition. Someplace in the middle is where I'd be most pleased.

I've recently started my latest business venture - I'm building a pizza wagon. I'm going to need to hire on a single employee during the summer. What does he get paid, under this system? Would it be guaranteed minimum income + food service employee wage (negotiated democratically)? A minimum income + negotiated wage (negotiated between employer and employee)? What legal power would he hold within this business?

These users thanked the author exploited for the post:
eynon81
exploited
Vice President

Postby eynon81 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:35 pm

eynon81
VIP
VIP

Postby exploited » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:48 pm

I just don't want to see the baby thrown out with the bathwater. I think it is right and fair that certain people make more money then me. I can also recognize when we've gone off the deep end in terms of wage inequality, and unfortunately that's been for all of history.

I would like to see people assert themselves and say, with force, that they have the same right to live and prosper as the rich, who ruthlessly pursue their own self-interest. Our planet is shared and so we must share. I get that. On the other hand, I can see very clearly that humanity has only gotten this far through the most brutal Darwinian struggle imaginable... And perhaps that will to dominate and hurt and compete is something to be harnessed but never tamed.

Anyways, to the point: moving to a system where every economic decision could be put under democratic control seems just as undesirable as moving to one where every decision is private (although, to be fair, that is exactly what is happening, so maybe Dharma has a point in suggesting such drastic changes).

Any proposal would have to keep the logistics in mind. What would corruption look like in such a system? How do people get paid? Who determines what and to what degree? How do we need to reorganize our legal system? It's a big task, so I'd need to see some specifics before I committed to it one way or another.
exploited
Vice President

Postby eynon81 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:52 pm

eynon81
VIP
VIP

Postby exploited » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:26 pm

These users thanked the author exploited for the post (total 2):
broken roboteynon81
exploited
Vice President

Postby Spider » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Spider
VIP
VIP

PreviousNext

Return to Economy