[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Tapering? What the hell for? • Economy • Political Crossfire Forums

Tapering? What the hell for?

Tapering? What the hell for?

Postby Kane » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:47 pm

Let's consider, just for a second, the dual mandate:

Inflation
Unemployment

I would argue that both suggest the need for continued monetary easing and that all of this talk regarding a "taper" is nonsense until I see some real improvement in figures that matter to the fed. Yes, some measures of the Unemployment Rate have come down and on their face suggest modest improvements but on the whole does nothing to analyze what kinds of jobs have been created in the past five years, wages/earnings, or taken into consideration if these jobs are full or part time. Commensurate with the mandate of the Federal Reserve I'd like everybody to consider the micro level details of these reports when deciding if now is the best time to "taper." I would say no for two reasons, and my first will be substantiated in the form of a graph courtesy of one Tim Duy:

These are figures, YoY, suggestive of a trend of disinflation. Let's couple this with anemic growth in wages (Until relatively recently) and shoddy job production overall (We haven't been producing, en masse, jobs that pay enough to produce anything remotely near a robust growth rate on an annual basis - people, let's remember that the new 3.6% GDP growth figure is for Q3, Q4 will probably substantiate some of my claims regarding household incomes via NRF data on consumer spending this holiday season - furthermore this is a single quarter for the year, the annual will be averaged out with our not so stellar 1.1% growth in Q1 and 2.8% in Q2). Needless to say, the degree to which inventory restocking had an impact on Q3 growth portends bad things for Q4 in my mind.

But basically I am going mad with all of this talk over the now certain tapering that will occur within a couple months if not weeks time. Current data doesn't support such a move, I don't care what the U measures indicate. Aggregate Demand is still short, investment in the real economy sucks balls thanks to our fantastic legislative bodies, and workers continue to have no power/leverage over wages and benefits as employers wield the only door many people seek today. Inflation rates bear this out. Inflation, the Central Bank's primary focus, is nonexistent in terms of a threat to the economy. It continues to slow year over year...consumers do not have the money to spend to keep that bad boy rising due to a decline in income from either a loss of a job or accepting lower pay in another.

I mean what, am I supposed to think that we should start tapering because the equity markets have bounced back so well? Really? We're just breaking barriers now...five years after the original crash. That's not a great growth trajectory taking into account the WILD oscillations we've witnessed throughout these past years with several other smaller crises taking place around the globe.

Help me out guys. Convince me the Fed should start to taper. Do it with numbers...and charts and stuff.
Kane
Vice President

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Re: Tapering? What the hell for?

Postby gla22 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:04 am

I think that there is a concern that a period of prolonged low interest rates could fuel bubbles in both real estate and equities.

QE is not a fix for what are larger structural problems in the U.S. economy and this monetary stimulus just temporary alleviates the pain that should be addressed through fiscal measures.
gla22
Senator

Postby The Dude » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:13 am

Well, any potential tapering just got f**k by this massively horrible budget deal. We're gonna need that QE for next year, now.
The Dude
Governor

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Kane » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:22 am

Kane
Vice President

Postby Kane » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:24 am

These users thanked the author Kane for the post:
eynon81
Kane
Vice President

Postby The Dharma Bum » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:40 am

Quantitative easing isn't going away anytime soon.
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby spacemonkey » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:40 am

The economic golden era for the general masses is over. The new flea market economy will be based on jobs like W mart and Mc D's, etc. But I suppose you can still get an expensive and irrelevent degree and still dream.
The hardest part of doing nothing is knowing when your done.
spacemonkey
Governor

Postby gla22 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:56 am

gla22
Senator

Postby Medius » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Why in the heck is nobody suggesting that we tax the living crap out of investment schemes that run on pure speculation or gambling and don't actually impact production, innovation, or economic expansion in a positive way? Direct the money to investment that actually helps by making anything else less profitable.

I'm almost thinking we may need to consider the speed trading in that as well (the programs designed to buy and sell extremely quickly to just get aggregate gains).
Medius
Governor

Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Postby Kane » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:44 pm

I'd suggest it if I thought it was politically feasible. But you and I know it's not, so I decided to save the time spent typing that out. Typically, any idea we can agree upon in aggregate has the same chance of success as I do of winning the Mega Millions Lotto. Decidedly, this is also regressive which just reinforces my point and suggests that further deliberation here will only cost us time.
Kane
Vice President

Return to Economy