[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Dune • The Lounge • Political Crossfire Forums

Dune

A place to relax and talk about things besides politics.

Dune

Postby exploited » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:34 am

f**k how have they not confirmed a second.

This movie is pretty good and would be great if I weren't wracked with anxiety about seeing it finished.

Anyone else go see it? Moody as hell like all Villineuve movies, and a true audio visual treat.
exploited
Vice President

Re: Dune

Postby Winchester » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:45 am

I'm watching it on HBOmax this weekend. Been looking forward to it all year.

Edit it looks like it's available on HBOmax at 6pm ET tonight so I'll probably watch it tonight. Friday nights are for drinking with friends around the fire pit.
Winchester
Governor

Postby Kane » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:25 am

Looking forwards to this....huge Denis Villeneuve fan.
Kane
Vice President

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:46 pm

i was looking forward to it much more before i found out it ends in the middle without any sequel approved
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Winchester » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:17 am

I thought they did a great job with it, but WTF with it ending there. I didn't know ahead of time when I started watching and as it moved along my dread was growing that there is no way they're going to finish this thing. Then I figured out what Exploited meant with "wracked with anxiety about seeing it finished". I didn't realize he meant the first book.
Winchester
Governor

Postby exploited » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:10 am

Yeah. It is a fantastic movie, and I appreciate that they didn't rush it at all. But man.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Kane » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:49 pm

Just saw it today - recommend see in a theater with some sort of specialty viewing (JBX, XD, wtfever) - this is a masterpiece. I'm sad I have to wait for Part II but also appreciate I'm sad exactly because Part I is that good.

Character development: Check (A lot of the complaints seem to stem from this being boring...I think some people really have forgotten how stories used to be told)
Atmosphere: Goddamn
Plot: Check (I like that in this movie you don't feel like you're being forced to listen to a monologue about the dynamics of the relationship between the houses and the emperor - they cleverly insert it into numerous character building moments such as Duke explaining to Paul etc)
Acting: Check (Honestly really good - I like it all - skaarsgard is insanely creepy/menacing)
Score: Out of this World
Sandworms: 5/5

Just a 10/10 for me. Denis remains my favorite director for numerous reasons.
Kane
Vice President

Postby John Galt » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:46 pm

Warner Bros set sequel for 2023

alright looks like i might need to get a babysitter
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Spider » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:03 pm

Movie was fantastic. My main gripes with it are that they glossed over some important backstory that's actually fundamental to the plot and the motivations of characters. The spice isn't really fleshed out as being central to the entire universe. It's importance is stated but not explained. Mentats are present but there is no explanation of exactly what they are or that the spice makes it possible. There is mention of the Guild but no brief explanation about how the spice allows Navigators to make interstellar travel happen. The actual folded space trip from Caledan to Arakis happens entirely off-screen. Would have been good to explain that in this universe thinking machines are strictly prohibited... It's a far future high tech universe where spice pumped humans fill the roles formerly carried out by machines... But there is precious little mention of it. No need to mention the Butlerian Jihad or anything like that... But a brief bit of explanation would have been awesome.

It's both a large and small set of omissions at the same time.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Kane » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:27 pm

I think given the size and complexity of the universe it's going to be hard for anybody to fully capture everything. Attempting to explain that part of the story might also detract from the immersion Denis is going for - even if done well it could still sound/seem pretty ridiculous. But who knows - maybe a directors cut will be forthcoming and it will be...four hours long.

One can only hope.
Kane
Vice President

Next

Return to The Lounge