Anybody else feel overloaded?

A place to relax and talk about things besides politics.

Re: Anybody else feel overloaded?

Postby exploited » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:36 am

I've never heard of chilled red wine, but I don't drink wine. Why would the temperature of another person's beverage be of concern?
exploited
Vice President

Postby Spider » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:26 am

Saz wrote:
Spider wrote:The only difference is that if its a bit warmer it doesn't deaden the taste buds as much.

Wine snobbery is hilarious. What you're supposed to do is drop a couple ice cubes into it just to watch and see who's head explodes. Maybe ask for some splenda.

Good wine should be treated right. I'm not some guy who is above loading his carlo rossi with vodka, but a grown adult adding ice to a good wine is like giving a good cigar to a kid with asthma. Sure, I guess you can. But if you insist on doing it, then get the f**k out of my party.

Twas a joke, Saz. I even tossed in a bit about Splenda to make sure, but alas. Whiffed again. :(

We drink a lot of wine. I'm a beer and wine person, I don't do much of the hard stuff anymore. I think that generally speaking, people are drinking reds too warm and whites too cold. You've gotta admit though...get a bunch of people together and watch them...watch the people pretentiously swirling for 5 minutes as if they're worried the wine has developed the bends, even after watching me pour directly from the decanter. I've poured the wine ahead as a courtesy, to make sure. How much more oxygen do they think they're going to get in there? Are they swirling for a reason, or are they just aping someone else? If it's a really nice bottle and it's just opened, fine. Watch them rudely do the inhale-gargle and loudly comment on the various bla bla. There's always got to be someone who thinks the movie Sideways wasn't satire.

End of the day it's just wine. If you like it, drink it. Even the cheapest bottle you can find is better than what royalty used to drink.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Saz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:56 am

Spider wrote:
Saz wrote:
Spider wrote:The only difference is that if its a bit warmer it doesn't deaden the taste buds as much.

Wine snobbery is hilarious. What you're supposed to do is drop a couple ice cubes into it just to watch and see who's head explodes. Maybe ask for some splenda.

Good wine should be treated right. I'm not some guy who is above loading his carlo rossi with vodka, but a grown adult adding ice to a good wine is like giving a good cigar to a kid with asthma. Sure, I guess you can. But if you insist on doing it, then get the f**k out of my party.

Twas a joke, Saz. I even tossed in a bit about Splenda to make sure, but alas. Whiffed again. :(

We drink a lot of wine. I'm a beer and wine person, I don't do much of the hard stuff anymore. I think that generally speaking, people are drinking reds too warm and whites too cold. You've gotta admit though...get a bunch of people together and watch them...watch the people pretentiously swirling for 5 minutes as if they're worried the wine has developed the bends, even after watching me pour directly from the decanter. I've poured the wine ahead as a courtesy, to make sure. How much more oxygen do they think they're going to get in there? Are they swirling for a reason, or are they just aping someone else? If it's a really nice bottle and it's just opened, fine. Watch them rudely do the inhale-gargle and loudly comment on the various bla bla. There's always got to be someone who thinks the movie Sideways wasn't satire.

End of the day it's just wine. If you like it, drink it. Even the cheapest bottle you can find is better than what royalty used to drink.

Yea, generally agreed. If you swirl for 5 minutes you are a retard but I think a lot of people just get in the habit of giving it a quick swirl to get started. People who go overboard should be relentlessly mocked for doing so. It's not complicated, all I'm asking is to not water down the f**k wine and to not have a seizure before having a drink. And to not chill the red. People should never comment on the wine either beyond saying it's good. If it's cheap just make a mental note and/or add a splash of Vodka. If they stare at your or ask why tell em the wine is shit anyway.

I actually have an app. If i like a wine i scan the bottle to see how cheap it is. No point in remembering a £200 bottle I will never buy, but a delicious one for £10 is worth the shame of scanning the label.
Pun intended for the plebes on here who don't get a joke
Saz
Governor

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Saz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:31 pm

Actually decided against the bar, going full swedish
Saz
Governor

Postby NAB » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:29 pm

Saz wrote:
Philly wrote:
Kane wrote:So perhaps I'm just a heathen or a prole that lacks the finances...but since when were red's chilled? I ran into this at my Mom's the other night. I've never chilled a red wine.

My understanding was that a lot of reds can be good when served at slightly below room temperature. Not like the way you'd chill a white to the temperature in a refrigerator. Think of what you'd get down in a cool wine cellar.

I never drink reds chilled, that's blasphemy. I can see your point if its a warm summer or something then its probably better to bring it down to a cool room temp, but if it's that warm then I'm not trying to drink reds anyway (unless something heavy with meat but you NEVER chill those). NAB is a confirmed prole, I never would put a red in the fridge. Once the bottle is open then shit or get off the pot.

I'm a prole because I didn't mind slightly chilled red wine? Alrighty.
Welcome to our speak board web page
NAB
Governor

Postby Saz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:51 pm

NAB wrote:
Saz wrote:
Philly wrote:
Kane wrote:So perhaps I'm just a heathen or a prole that lacks the finances...but since when were red's chilled? I ran into this at my Mom's the other night. I've never chilled a red wine.

My understanding was that a lot of reds can be good when served at slightly below room temperature. Not like the way you'd chill a white to the temperature in a refrigerator. Think of what you'd get down in a cool wine cellar.

I never drink reds chilled, that's blasphemy. I can see your point if its a warm summer or something then its probably better to bring it down to a cool room temp, but if it's that warm then I'm not trying to drink reds anyway (unless something heavy with meat but you NEVER chill those). NAB is a confirmed prole, I never would put a red in the fridge. Once the bottle is open then shit or get off the pot.

Yes, that and your love of bread and circus. Don't think I didn't see you jockeying for free grain outside of Jerryworld last Sunday.
Saz
Governor

Postby Kane » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:32 am

NAB wrote:
Saz wrote:
Philly wrote:

Just enunciate it differently. Word takes on an entirely different ring and then you can at least pretend to be a snob.

Pro-le

Just let that roll off your tongue. Pro-leeeeee
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby NAB » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:55 am

Saz wrote:
NAB wrote:
Saz wrote:
Philly wrote:

Yes, that and your love of bread and circus. Don't think I didn't see you jockeying for free grain outside of Jerryworld last Sunday.

Bread good.
Welcome to our speak board web page
NAB
Governor

Previous

Return to The Lounge