Anybody else feel overloaded?

A place to relax and talk about things besides politics.

Re: Anybody else feel overloaded?

Postby John Galt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:44 pm

Winchester wrote:
Kane wrote:
Winchester wrote:For the kids sake I think they need at least one sibling. Honestly thought 1989-2011 was pretty much a blur for me. I'm actually looking forward to grandkids more than kids but the kids aren't cooperating.

Why is this? Why do people say having a sibling is good?

Because only children turn out a little odd, like homeschooled children only worse.

More serious though, one needs a family/peer growing up to hone one's competitiveness, learning to deal with aggravation and hopefully having at least one person in life that has been through it all with you. Bonus if you become close.

my cousin is an only child. she is a freshman in high school, can play several instruments, is fluent in mandarin, played in an international bandy tournament in sweden, etc etc. her yuppie parents put in everything into her. as a young child she was the most well behaved child i've ever met. the only "bad" thing she ever did was steal sweets (which i gave to her) because her parents were strict about her diet (again, yuppies). she is knowledgable about a lot of subjects and you can have a completely adult conversation with her at 14 about most anything

i think it depends on the parenting but i think it's easier to f**k up an only child. not that the first is practice and the second is better adjusted, but rather what you're saying about having peers at home
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Spider » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:04 pm

Kane wrote:How many spawns of satan do you have? What's optimal?

One. We didn't get any other options on numbers. No idea what's optimal, probably case by case, but Winchester makes good points.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Kane » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:31 pm

I think Winchester is telling you that you need to get another in some fashion...else it grows alone and odd. I grew up with a brother - I consider myself normal.
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Winchester » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:21 pm

Not the best pic... but

Someone please tell me if you can't see the image.
Winchester
Governor

Postby Saz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:53 am

Damn that's way better than mine. I guess I have no choice but to get a nicer bar - damn shame
Pun intended for the plebes on here who don't get a joke
Saz
Governor

Postby Winchester » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:27 am

Here's the actual bar I got, managed to get it for $125, way better than I expected. Normal price seems to hover in the 150-160 range.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

As far as the liquor, pretty basic stock, rye, bourbon, irish and canadian whiskeys, white rum, tequila, vodka (plain and lemon), a couple of gins, sweet and dry vermouth (in the fridge) and some local liquors. I got a few specialty spirits, cointreau (wife likes cosmos and it's good in margaritas), campari so I can make negronis and the marchesino liquor so I can make hemingway daiquiris.
Winchester
Governor

Postby Saz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:48 am

Winchester wrote:Here's the actual bar I got, managed to get it for $125, way better than I expected. Normal price seems to hover in the 150-160 range.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

As far as the liquor, pretty basic stock, rye, bourbon, irish and canadian whiskeys, white rum, tequila, vodka (plain and lemon), a couple of gins, sweet and dry vermouth (in the fridge) and some local liquors. I got a few specialty spirits, cointreau (wife likes cosmos and it's good in margaritas), campari so I can make negronis and the marchesino liquor so I can make hemingway daiquiris.

Hmm yea I have a I have about the same stock, only one gin, and i keep the vermouths in the bar. I've been drinking aperol because it's on sale but probably should get campari. May get the bar below, right now I'm basically using a bookshelf :)) I have the whole swedish thing going though so glossy black might look out of place.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Housew ... A419158031
Saz
Governor

Postby Winchester » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:42 am

Refrigerate the vermouth after opening it'll stay good for 2-3 months in the fridge. You wouldn't leave an open bottle of wine sitting on your shelf... would you? :p Basically refrigerate any non-distilled spirit after opening.

And while I'm unsure of the swedish decor thing, they do make the bar in gloss white as well.
Winchester
Governor

Postby Kane » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:00 am

Winchester wrote:Not the best pic... but

Someone please tell me if you can't see the image.

I like it. Looks good dude - this'll be one of the earlier items I'll work on at the pad. It will help out doing other stuff around the house.
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Saz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Winchester wrote:Refrigerate the vermouth after opening it'll stay good for 2-3 months in the fridge. You wouldn't leave an open bottle of wine sitting on your shelf... would you? :p Basically refrigerate any non-distilled spirit after opening.

And while I'm unsure of the swedish decor thing, they do make the bar in gloss white as well.

I usually drink my wine within a few days of opening. Do you drink chilled red? Maybe I will buy smaller bottles of vermouths and only open as needed. I do this with Champagne, sometimes want a spritz or mimosa on the weekend but not trying to slam a bottle of champagne for breakfast so I get smaller 35cl or something bottles. I will buy the bar this weekend f**k it there is space and one chick said its fine so thats all the sign off i need.

Unfortunately our amazon does not have the same wide selection of the US one, so I'm going with black buy f**k it, I'm not swedish anyway
Saz
Governor

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge