Humans in North America 130,000 years ago?

A place to relax and talk about things besides politics.

Re: Humans in North America 130,000 years ago?

Postby NAB » Tue May 02, 2017 2:10 pm

John Galt wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:Wonder why todays primitive tribes aren't constructing massive monuments the way we said they did in the past?


mesoamerican society was highly advanced. they almost all lacked knowledge of iron though (it was just starting) and that, together, with a lack of draft animals (which is also why they didn't have the immunities that euopeans did), made them easy pickings for europeans, but this does not mean they were not advanced. they had large cities, agriculture, writing, etc. they were disturbingly savage (their human sacrifice is unrivaled), but this is very different than some small tribe of a few hundred living in the amazon not building a giant temple for human sacrifices

we killed almost every last one of these people, accidentally. just by interacting with them, we set created a chain reaction that depopulated north and south america. it's not like there was only a few thousand of them in the woods making pyramids back in the day, there will millions and millions of them.


(guy who appears to have also read 1492)
Welcome to our speak board web page
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 7272
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 1035 times

Re: Humans in North America 130,000 years ago?

Postby The Comrade » Tue May 02, 2017 2:17 pm

rekt
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
The Comrade
Vice President
 
Posts: 17963
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Yugoslavia
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1188 times
Been thanked: 1813 times
Political Leaning: Socialist

Re: Humans in North America 130,000 years ago?

Postby John Galt » Tue May 02, 2017 2:31 pm

NAB wrote:
John Galt wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:Wonder why todays primitive tribes aren't constructing massive monuments the way we said they did in the past?


mesoamerican society was highly advanced. they almost all lacked knowledge of iron though (it was just starting) and that, together, with a lack of draft animals (which is also why they didn't have the immunities that euopeans did), made them easy pickings for europeans, but this does not mean they were not advanced. they had large cities, agriculture, writing, etc. they were disturbingly savage (their human sacrifice is unrivaled), but this is very different than some small tribe of a few hundred living in the amazon not building a giant temple for human sacrifices

we killed almost every last one of these people, accidentally. just by interacting with them, we set created a chain reaction that depopulated north and south america. it's not like there was only a few thousand of them in the woods making pyramids back in the day, there were millions and millions of them.


(guy who appears to have also read 1492)


i haven't actually read that book. or 1491, or 1493, for that matter. the stuff i said isn't secret knowledge. i'm not sure what you are trying to say with this.
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 11639
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 547 times
Been thanked: 1205 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Humans in North America 130,000 years ago?

Postby NAB » Wed May 03, 2017 8:37 am

John Galt wrote:
NAB wrote:
John Galt wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:Wonder why todays primitive tribes aren't constructing massive monuments the way we said they did in the past?


mesoamerican society was highly advanced. they almost all lacked knowledge of iron though (it was just starting) and that, together, with a lack of draft animals (which is also why they didn't have the immunities that euopeans did), made them easy pickings for europeans, but this does not mean they were not advanced. they had large cities, agriculture, writing, etc. they were disturbingly savage (their human sacrifice is unrivaled), but this is very different than some small tribe of a few hundred living in the amazon not building a giant temple for human sacrifices

we killed almost every last one of these people, accidentally. just by interacting with them, we set created a chain reaction that depopulated north and south america. it's not like there was only a few thousand of them in the woods making pyramids back in the day, there were millions and millions of them.


(guy who appears to have also read 1492)


i haven't actually read that book. or 1491, or 1493, for that matter. the stuff i said isn't secret knowledge. i'm not sure what you are trying to say with this.


My mistake on the title aside, it's a good read. I was merely attempting to give a knowing nod to someone else I assumed had read it.

I actually read it after eynon mentioned it in PCF iirc.
Welcome to our speak board web page
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 7272
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 1035 times

Re: Humans in North America 130,000 years ago?

Postby John Galt » Wed May 03, 2017 9:37 am

NAB wrote:
John Galt wrote:
NAB wrote:
John Galt wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:Wonder why todays primitive tribes aren't constructing massive monuments the way we said they did in the past?


mesoamerican society was highly advanced. they almost all lacked knowledge of iron though (it was just starting) and that, together, with a lack of draft animals (which is also why they didn't have the immunities that euopeans did), made them easy pickings for europeans, but this does not mean they were not advanced. they had large cities, agriculture, writing, etc. they were disturbingly savage (their human sacrifice is unrivaled), but this is very different than some small tribe of a few hundred living in the amazon not building a giant temple for human sacrifices

we killed almost every last one of these people, accidentally. just by interacting with them, we set created a chain reaction that depopulated north and south america. it's not like there was only a few thousand of them in the woods making pyramids back in the day, there were millions and millions of them.


(guy who appears to have also read 1492)


i haven't actually read that book. or 1491, or 1493, for that matter. the stuff i said isn't secret knowledge. i'm not sure what you are trying to say with this.


My mistake on the title aside, it's a good read. I was merely attempting to give a knowing nod to someone else I assumed had read it.

I actually read it after eynon mentioned it in PCF iirc.


no, sorry, there are three books... 1491, 1492, and 1493. 1491 and 1493 by Charles Mann, and describe the americas before and after 1492, and the other book's full title is "1492: The Year the World Began", and is by Felipe Fernández-Armesto. so which one are you recommending? :-)

i'm currently reading Heart of Europe, itself a massive tome, and my history queue has a book on the thirty years war, a book on polish history, and a book on the seige of vienna, among some others i'm forgetting, so it might be a while
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 11639
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 547 times
Been thanked: 1205 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Humans in North America 130,000 years ago?

Postby NAB » Wed May 03, 2017 10:15 am

John Galt wrote:
no, sorry, there are three books... 1491, 1492, and 1493. 1491 and 1493 by Charles Mann, and describe the americas before and after 1492, and the other book's full title is "1492: The Year the World Began", and is by Felipe Fernández-Armesto. so which one are you recommending? :-)

i'm currently reading Heart of Europe, itself a massive tome, and my history queue has a book on the thirty years war, a book on polish history, and a book on the seige of vienna, among some others i'm forgetting, so it might be a while


I meant to type 1491, but my Euro-centric/Columbus shilling/education/programming made me instinctively type 1492.
Welcome to our speak board web page

These users thanked the author NAB for the post:
John Galt
User avatar
NAB
Governor
 
Posts: 7272
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:27 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 1035 times

Re: Humans in North America 130,000 years ago?

Postby Spider » Wed May 03, 2017 2:38 pm

1421 is the one you should both be reading. Also a non recommend, iirc.
Image
"Freedom is the increased knowledge of that which you can do without." -Thoreau
User avatar
Spider
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 11143
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Out in the sticks.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 823 times
Been thanked: 1000 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: Humans in North America 130,000 years ago?

Postby John Galt » Wed May 03, 2017 3:12 pm

Spider wrote:1421 is the one you should both be reading. Also a non recommend, iirc.


why should we be reading it? i did read it by the way. menzies... he has some interesting ideas. some other histories have gone through the claims and determine it is "drivel", because it is ideas without any evidence and is circular logic

menzies very genre of work is psudeohistory, along with works like Protocols of the Elders of Zion. he's not an actual historian and actual historians have categorically rejected his musings
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 11639
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 547 times
Been thanked: 1205 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: Humans in North America 130,000 years ago?

Postby Spider » Wed May 03, 2017 3:40 pm

Most have. Doesn't mean it isn't a fun read. Read this stuff for the same reason you read Chariots of the Gods. The thread is about 130,000 year old evidence of humans in N America, after all. Though of course we must categorically reject uranium thorium dating in order to instantly laugh it off in this case...
Image
"Freedom is the increased knowledge of that which you can do without." -Thoreau
User avatar
Spider
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 11143
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Out in the sticks.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 823 times
Been thanked: 1000 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: Humans in North America 130,000 years ago?

Postby John Galt » Thu May 04, 2017 10:01 am

i'm not laughing it off, but only the bones were dated. yes there were some jagged rocks, and the mastadon bones were broken, but making the leap that it means there were hominids is a massive one. this rewites all of prehistory if it was true, so i think we'd need to find hominid bones
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 11639
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 547 times
Been thanked: 1205 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest