The Witcher: author says game cost him sales

A place to relax and talk about things besides politics.

The Witcher: author says game cost him sales

Postby John Galt » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:48 pm

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article ... metro-2033

in the above article the bitter, bitter author of the Witcher, Andrzej Sapkowski, says the games cost him sales and said flat out incorrect things like his books were all translated into English before the first game's release (the first book to be translated into English came after the game, let alone all of them)

basically he is super bitter because he thought the games would flop so instead of royalties took a payout and now he's really mad about it and tries to jusify it to himself by saying lies

which is super sad. i bought his books since i enjoyed the games. it is unlikely I would have ever bought them had the games not existed. he claims CDProjecktRed conceals the fact they are based off his books and goes into an old-man rant

"A video game serves a different purpose," Sapkowski tells me. "It works differently. How much substance can there be in the lines of text when the hero walks through the woods and talks to a squirrel? Where's the literature in that? Where's the room for depth or sophisticated language with which games could elevate culture? There's none."

"I have nothing against the game itself. I think it's a high-level product. All the benefits CDPR received for it are absolutely well-earned. I have nothing against video games in general. I have nothing against the people who play them, even if I don't and never will," Sapkowski says. "The whole animosity started when the game began to spoil my market."

"I wrote the first Witcher story 30 years ago," he continues. "When I come to my author meetings, there's no one in the audience close to my age. I am 69. There's no one. Kids everywhere. How are some of them supposed to know—especially in Germany, Spain or the US—that my books are not game related? That I'm not writing books based on games? They may not know that, and CDPR bravely conceals the game's origins. It's written in fine print, you need a microscope to see it, that the game is 'based on' [my books]."

....

"The belief, widely spread by CDPR, that the games made me popular outside of Poland is completely false. I made the games popular. All of my translations in the West—including the English one—were published before the first game."

"I think the result would be about equal, yes. If anything, there are more people who have played the games because they read the books. That's my count, but I'm not sure. I never did any studies."


the Metro author Dmitry Glukhovsky (whose novel turned into Metro 2033/Last Light) said that Sapkowski is not only "totally wrong" but also an "arrogant f**k"

"I think that he's totally wrong, and that he's an arrogant f**k," says Dmitry Glukhovsky from his Moscow flat, in response to Sapkowski's claim.

"Without the gaming franchise, the Witcher series would never get this crazy international readership that it has. And it's not just about the gamers but the gaming press and the buzz it creates, and just the feeling of something great and massive and impressive coming out. This got people hooked. He would remain a local Eastern European phenomenon without this, but he would never break into the West. And the same goes for my Metro books."


now i need to read Glukhovsky's books for that statement alone

i am posting this because 1. i find it interesting as I like all the things mentioned in this but 2., i think we are at a great age for storytelling and Sapkowski is wrong as he doesn't understand it. in 2400 when we look back to today, i do think they will look at video games as a medium for storytelling in the same way we might look at Shakespeare. obviously not all games but Witcher could be there, and i think it's main medium is video games not books
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12350
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 577 times
Been thanked: 1284 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: The Witcher: author says game cost him sales

Postby Spider » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Yeah, f**k this guy. I've almost started the witcher books, because I too really liked the games...but honestly I'd never have even heard of these books if not for the games. Before the games it was mostly a Polish thing, iirc.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
User avatar
Spider
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 11555
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Out in the sticks.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 857 times
Been thanked: 1020 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: The Witcher: author says game cost him sales

Postby Winchester » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:50 pm

I hadn't heard of either till this thread.
User avatar
Winchester
Governor
 
Posts: 5504
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 746 times
Been thanked: 785 times

Re: The Witcher: author says game cost him sales

Postby John Galt » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:08 pm

If you want a game where you can kill demons with two different swords, make tough decisions that often times do the exact opposite of what you intended, and be able to f**k all the whores and main character women in the series outside of your daughter-figure, then you should check out the Witcher in your retirement

Edit: changed whites to whores. Stupid autocorrect.
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12350
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 577 times
Been thanked: 1284 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: The Witcher: author says game cost him sales

Postby exploited » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:10 pm

I still haven't gotten more than 30 minutes into this game. I should pick it up again.
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 20964
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2197 times
Been thanked: 1702 times

Re: The Witcher: author says game cost him sales

Postby Winchester » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:21 pm

Spider wrote:Yeah, f**k this guy. I've almost started the witcher books, because I too really liked the games...but honestly I'd never have even heard of these books if not for the games. Before the games it was mostly a Polish thing, iirc.


I'm midway through the second book (actually book 4 as reddit told me to read the first 2 short story collections first). I love the guy's writing style, dialogs are excellent, and I'm sure I'll finish the series off in pretty short order. Entertaining books. Don't let your disgust with the author stop you from enjoying a good read... they're IMO worth it.
User avatar
Winchester
Governor
 
Posts: 5504
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 746 times
Been thanked: 785 times

Re: The Witcher: author says game cost him sales

Postby Spider » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:28 pm

Winchester wrote:
Spider wrote:Yeah, f**k this guy. I've almost started the witcher books, because I too really liked the games...but honestly I'd never have even heard of these books if not for the games. Before the games it was mostly a Polish thing, iirc.


I'm midway through the second book (actually book 4 as reddit told me to read the first 2 short story collections first). I love the guy's writing style, dialogs are excellent, and I'm sure I'll finish the series off in pretty short order. Entertaining books. Don't let your disgust with the author stop you from enjoying a good read... they're IMO worth it.


Wow, nice. Thanks for the update, will add to the pile.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
User avatar
Spider
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 11555
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Out in the sticks.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 857 times
Been thanked: 1020 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: The Witcher: author says game cost him sales

Postby Winchester » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:40 pm

Spider wrote:
Winchester wrote:
Spider wrote:Yeah, f**k this guy. I've almost started the witcher books, because I too really liked the games...but honestly I'd never have even heard of these books if not for the games. Before the games it was mostly a Polish thing, iirc.


I'm midway through the second book (actually book 4 as reddit told me to read the first 2 short story collections first). I love the guy's writing style, dialogs are excellent, and I'm sure I'll finish the series off in pretty short order. Entertaining books. Don't let your disgust with the author stop you from enjoying a good read... they're IMO worth it.


Wow, nice. Thanks for the update, will add to the pile.


Read them in this order:

The Last Wish (short story collection)
Sword of Destiny (short story collection) Amazon has this listed as book 4
Blood of Elves (beginning of novels)
Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
The Tower of Swallows - Amazon also has this listed as book 4
Lady of the Lake

These users thanked the author Winchester for the post:
Spider
User avatar
Winchester
Governor
 
Posts: 5504
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 746 times
Been thanked: 785 times

Re: The Witcher: author says game cost him sales

Postby John Galt » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:05 pm

Ha, I'm glad you like the books Winchester. If you ever get a crazy hair... the video games are different but similar. both have stuffed unicorns, for example
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt

These users thanked the author John Galt for the post:
Winchester
User avatar
John Galt
Technical Admin
 
Posts: 12350
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 pm
Location: Bowling Green Massacre Survivor
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 577 times
Been thanked: 1284 times
Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: The Witcher: author says game cost him sales

Postby Winchester » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:56 pm

John Galt wrote:Ha, I'm glad you like the books Winchester. If you ever get a crazy hair... the video games are different but similar. both have stuffed unicorns, for example


Can you break it with Yennefer?
User avatar
Winchester
Governor
 
Posts: 5504
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 746 times
Been thanked: 785 times

Next

Return to The Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest