mass effect: no man's sky

A place to relax and talk about things besides politics.

mass effect: no man's sky

Postby John Galt » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm

well, upon watching streams and reading reviews this doesn't look good. i can forgive ridiculous animation and technical problems, even if it is a "AAA" game, but boring storytelling?

i dont really trust the big reviewers anymore. they are too scared to put low ratings. IGN gave it a 7.7, and people will say that was "low". it's not low. the actual review said only sound effects and combat were good, and multiplayer okay but wasn't really working in the review stage, but they basiclly panned everything else. and gave it a 7.7? lol

here's a different review:

Video from : youtube.com

in regards to how disjointed the lines are (recorded separately and patched together): "it can only be described as someone going emotionally insane, as you listen"

on romance: "its akin to watching two mannequins who have been given the breath of life" and decide to have sex

his verdict is: rent the game

john walker's review is that it is a "massive defect" and he is quite angry about the game https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... da-review/

it's all rather disappointing. i hate it when scifi does stupid boring cliche shit, and that's what this game seems to be about. apparently nothing you do really matters; you aren't given real choices, just the illusion of choice:

Perhaps most significantly, they made the bold decision to remove good/evil responses that have been a mainstay of the developers’ RPGs, but they’ve failed to replace them with anything close to as meaningful. As a result, they’ve essentially removed the majority of choice at all. At one point you’re offered an extremely significant deal that contains an element that’s tantamount to extortion. In any other BioWare game before you’d argue this, perhaps choose it as the lesser of two evils, or reject it based on principle. Here you get two choices: to accept it, or accept it while making a joke.

Video from : youtube.com
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: mass effect: no man's sky

Postby exploited » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:31 pm

I'll let you know how it is. I preordered the Ultimate Deluxe Premium Elite Edition for $169.99.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Spider » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:22 pm

Mass Effect is supposed to be an RPG. The plot and the characters are the point.

Disappointing.

As far as the animations...honestly what were they thinking? The rest of the game looks like it belongs on last gen hardware...so it's not like they were stretching technically. Its almost as if they were trying to combine the realistic ME look with stylized lower budget stuff? The characters expressions look comically exaggerated, like cartoons.

As for reviewers...psht. Blame the confirmation bias afflicted simps that think that something is either amazing or its completely garbage. There's no middle ground anymore, and people take personal offense if their purchasing decisions aren't propped up by the press. Giant Bomb seems to write the most honest reviews.
Every dark cloud has a silver lining. But lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby John Galt » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:54 am

apparently the game that is about colonizing an entirely new galaxy never delves into the morality of colonization, and only introduces two new species, lol
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby exploited » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:03 am

So far I'm about two hours in. I've experienced some slowdowns in FPS but my card isn't great so I'm not concerned about that. The game itself looks alright. Story so far is alright... Not sure what the reviewers were on about in re: not setting up your Pathfinder status in a decent way. It took like an hour story to get that status and the story of how is decently emotional, and is clearly being setup for more impact as you play. Also, while it doesn't explicitly talk about the morality of colonization, there are plenty of hints and little comments that address it from different characters perspectives.

Over all, it has been fun to play.

The UI does suck as much as they say. And the human animations are shit.

So far, I'd give it 7-8/10. It is a decent game, not a masterpiece.
exploited
Vice President

Postby John Galt » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:25 am

i thought you were joking about the preorder smh
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby exploited » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:42 am

John Galt wrote:i thought you were joking about the preorder smh

Well, I was partially joking. Definitely didn't pay $169.99. Bought the stock game though.

However, I did preorder, and I preorder often.

My honest to God primary reason why I preorder is simply because PC gamers have become a negative plague of awful consumer behaviour. My biggest joy is telling people that I preordered, so they can go on autistic rants about how the industry is being ruined, how game companies are selfish and money hungry, how if only people didn't preorder they'd change their ways (lol no they wouldn't), etc. My brother in law is actually my favourite target for this.

Meanwhile I preorder, get the game, and make up my own mind about it, instead of obsessing over reviews about whether or not I should buy it. Good God PC gamers are annoying. It's like $60 for a game. If you don't like it, so what?
exploited
Vice President

Postby John Galt » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:53 am

exploited wrote:

Well, I was partially joking. Definitely didn't pay $169.99. Bought the stock game though.

My honest to God primary reason why I preorder is simply because PC gamers have become a negative plague of awful consumer behaviour. My biggest joy is telling people that I preordered, so they can go on autistic rants about how the industry is being ruined, how game companies are selfish and money hungry, how if only people didn't preorder they'd change their ways (lol no they wouldn't), etc. My brother in law is actually my favourite target for this.

Meanwhile I preorder, get the game, and make up my own mind about it, instead of obsessing over reviews about whether or not I should buy it. Good God PC gamers are annoying. It's like $60 for a game. If you don't like it, so what?

*autistic screeching*

well exploited, the problem is you are giving people money for a product before you even know what that product is. this has caused exceedingly bad behavior by game production studios, resulting in unfinished games like mass effect: andromeda. and then, in order to justify it to themselves, people who preorder are biased themselves in their review of the game. the least biased people are those who have given 0 dollars and received a review copy, as it is their job to report on their experience of the game

i dunno i haven't played it, but i have seen clips of the game, and watched someone else play it for a few hours and it seems like they hired someone with the storytelling capabilities of E.L. James. why even bother showing me stuff if you can just tell me. "i just feel it, do it". go f**k yourself man. don't tell me what the character is (with dumb writing), show me. oh shit now i can see their faces and they are horrible! noooo
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby exploited » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:59 am

John Galt wrote:
exploited wrote:

*autistic screeching*

well exploited, the problem is you are giving people money for a product before you even know what that product is. this has caused exceedingly bad behavior by game production studios, resulting in unfinished games like mass effect: andromeda. and then, in order to justify it to themselves, people who preorder are biased themselves in their review of the game. the least biased people are those who have given 0 dollars and received a review copy, as it is their job to report on their experience of the game

i dunno i haven't played it, but i have seen clips of the game, and watched someone else play it for a few hours and it seems like they hired someone with the storytelling capabilities of E.L. James. why even bother showing me stuff if you can just tell me. "i just feel it, do it". go f**k yourself man. don't tell me what the character is (with dumb writing), show me. oh shit now i can see their faces and they are horrible! noooo

I don't care to know the product is, in excruciating detail, before playing.

You know what I like? Getting excited about the latest version of a series I've always enjoyed, getting the game, and then playing it myself. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

I preordered Civ 6. Worth it.

I preordered Fallout 4. Worth it.

I preordered Mass Effect Andromeda. Worth it, at least so far.

I know that I'm going to buy and play these games. I know I'll get hours and hours out of them, even if they don't meet my expectations. So what difference does it make if I buy them without reading reviews months in advance, or the day it releases?

Honestly, I could give a shit less what the "gaming community" thinks about my consumer decisions. These same morons have been fighting every evolution in the industry since the beginning. It doesn't matter what it is, if it changes something about games, or how you buy games, or how you play games, they hate it. Then it becomes standard practice because it is profitable and makes money and games continue getting overall better, but all the while, you can't even talk about games because some f**k twat wants to change your behaviour and will take issue with it. Bought some microtransactions? Preordered the game? Didn't protest DRM? Whimpering, screeching, whining prevails.

The PC gaming community is a cancer on the soul of gaming. It needs to be nuked from orbit.

My assessment of the game, by the way, is reflected by Metacritic right now. 75% is the average, and that is right in line with what I said. That is because I'm able to form an opinion without first being filled with the negative and terrible bullshit that defines so many gaming journalists, and can only be eliminated by averaging out the reviews.
exploited
Vice President

Postby NAB » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:45 am

I like your approach ex, I take a similar approach to movies. I'll check the aggregate reviews sometimes prior, but won't let them keep me from seeing if I'm really interested in said movie.

Unless they're below 50%, then I won't bother.
Welcome to our speak board web page

These users thanked the author NAB for the post:
exploited
NAB
Governor

Next

Return to The Lounge