[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4829: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4831: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3911)
Zelda Breath of the Wild • Page 4 • The Lounge • Political Crossfire Forums

Zelda Breath of the Wild

A place to relax and talk about things besides politics.

Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild

Postby John Galt » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:31 pm

got it today, so far has been pretty fun. Supposedly is like 50 hrs to complete story, 50 more hours to find everything, plus they are doing dlc

The switch itself is nice size with controllers on the side. It's also a touchscreen. The controller's themselves are kinda strange, and my main dislike about them is that the buttons are small. The pro controller is a lot better I've heard, but I'm not paying that kind of money for one

USB c to charge is nice though, and games on tiny cards is a great change. I didn't have to download anything and just played right away after I opened the box
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby Spider » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:53 pm

Yeah, the cost of the peripherals is simply outrageous. It would be one thing is the pro controller was a truly fantastic controller...but more than one reviewer has commented that it feels cheap. So...?

Reviews have been spectacular. Critics are gushing at what seems to me a completely irrational and emotive level. Glad to hear it's going well.

How's that framerate, though? I watched a bit on twitch earlier...and it seemed, even over the stream, to really chug at times.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Spider » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:13 pm

*Crickets*

Galt is in Hyrule this month. Leave a message at the snap.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby Kane » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:51 pm

Kane
Vice President

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby John Galt » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:14 am

I haven't noticed any frame rate issues but I do have one large issue with the system itself.

The left controller, when it is docked not to the system directly for handheld but on the thing that comes with it for playing on the TV? Yeah. Connectivity issues. I looked it up online and other people have experienced the same. I'm going to yell at Nintendo about it because my only recourse (since not playing is out of the question) was to go buy a pro controller.

So I have that now. It's a lot nicer than the ones that came with it because it has bigger buttons and a more natural feel. I would have managed fine and still enjoyed the controller if it worked properly but it would not register commands, like, strafe left, or stop running off that cliff and the like. The pro controller is better but I would have happily paid 40 for it. That said it can charge with a USBC connector as well which is nice.

As for the game, it's spectacular. I have found one thing that was shit: on one of the shrines /mini dungeons, you have to use motion controllers like one of those get the ball through the maze games where it can fall into holes along the way and you have to use knobs to move the table around? Yeah. What you need to do is get off the couch, pick up the system and play it on the tablet. It's still annoying but it can be done. I don't like puzzles like that since it's not a real puzzle, it's just frustration from game controls not working perfectly. Plus you're locked from one angle so it's not like a real wooden puzzle game.

But aside from that, fantastic. And I've barely scratched the surface. The reviews, I mean, damn. Only ocarina of Time had 99/100 on metacritic, and there were only 20 reviews. Breath of the wild has 98/100, with 60 some reviews. With that number of reviews and still being that high it might be best game of all time.

But like I said. Basically just started playing. It's Zelda, it's not gritty, and yet, there is a darkness there. I think your horses can die. You hunt animals to eat them. Sure the monsters can be cartoony but that's just the art style. But what you feel in the world is something very vibrant and alive. There are travelers in the roads all over the place. There's animals to stalk and hunt. You just keep on wanting to go over there but more things distract you. Sure it's still got silly things like chickens attacking you, but I feel like that just adds to it all. There is voice acting, but only for cutscenes; most is text. It's both classic and modern gaming in one. I also really like the setting of post apocalyptic Hyrule, with remnants of technology, and you get basically no guidance (unlike previous games) since everything is open world for you to explore. Oh and links abilities are fun and you can do some really clever things. The addition of the stamina meter, and the choice between heart containers and stamina increase, is a great addition. If you think you should be able to do something in this game, try it, because you pretty much should be able to. You can climb anything, you can cut down trees, etc. It's been great
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven’t been cynical enough.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby John Galt » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:23 am

user reviews on metacritic are kinda funny, and also sad that people can do that

so on metacritic there is 98 score for zelda, because of so many perfect 10/10 ratings by so many reviewers. because of this fact, because it is such a good game, angry people with nothing better to do have been putting 0/10 reviews, most claiming teh game is "boring" but others saying that the reviewers were obviously paid, bringing user ranking to 7.5. hilariously some claim because nintendo sent the reviewers games and systems that it therefore shows how they were paid.

this game is perfect. when you play this game, you experience the joy of gaming. now i love the witcher, but i never felt this way in it, so entirely engrossed in the world. in the witcher, i was more interested in story and charachter development and some interesting moral tradeoffs. in this, it's all about the world you are in and part of. i start wondering off in this game because it has massive verticality so i am able to see things miles away and think "i should check that out". it's distraction after distraction and wonderful. i think this game has to be experienced. many games you can watch on twitch. this game... gotta play it
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:41 am

Damnit. I refuse to drop 500 bucks for a single game. I refuse. :(

And fanbois are idiots. Easily the most irritating thing about the gaming world are brand loyalists.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby John Galt » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:58 am

John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Spider » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Or maybe it'll pop up on Cemu sometime soon.

I just wish they'd stop dicking around and build a proper traditional console. I haven't bought a PS4 yet, either.
Spider
VIP
VIP

Postby John Galt » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:31 pm

ps4 is traditional console, but you didn't buy that either. so what difference does traditional consoleness have to do with your purchasing decision? i might actually buy some more games because having a "lan party" with friends is possible and easy to do with the switch

the cemu emulation should be done in a few months. looking at the thing right now, yeah, its got severe issues. i have experienced nothing like those kinds of framerate issues on my switch. but i expect some things with a few puzzles would be challenging without nintendo controllers so i'm not sure how they will get that done
John Galt
Technical Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge