Zelda Breath of the Wild

A place to relax and talk about things besides politics.

Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild

Postby phosphide » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:28 pm

Spider wrote:Damnit. I refuse to drop 500 bucks for a single game. I refuse. :(

And fanbois are idiots. Easily the most irritating thing about the gaming world are brand loyalists.

We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will yet swell the chorus when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.
- Abraham Lincoln
phosphide
Senator

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Postby Spider » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:52 pm

One of the many downsides of working from home.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby Spider » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:52 pm

John Galt wrote:ps4 is traditional console, but you didn't buy that either. so what difference does traditional consoleness have to do with your purchasing decision?

Because I could get the Nintendo exclusives as well as the third party stuff on one box. But Nintendo is apparently completely uninterested in third party support to the extreme of building gimmicky consoles that are so ridiculously underpowered that they can't run anything but their own in house cartoon art style. That's what Nintendo is, now. A whole console to buy to play a couple games each year. Its a company run by very old men who still think they are selling to kids in the 1980's. They look around in Japan and see that handheld is a big deal...so they repeatedly try to apply it to the rest of the world...where console people just want to sit on the couch and play on a giant TV screen.

What I want is the pro controller, and a little gray box with an x86 architecture and some serious CUDA cores and shaders that I can play whatever on as well as the rarely released Nintendo stuff. Closest I've come to that is a PC with an emulator and an xbox controller.

Video from : youtu.be

Impressive durability though.
Ernest Shackleton: "Men wanted for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success."

Onward to Mars
Spider
VIP
VIP

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby John Galt » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:50 am

nintendo rose from the ashes of the great video game cataclysm that destroyed the entire industry. learning from the mistakes of purina's chuck wagon video game and from e.t., nintendo decided against allowing many 3rd party developers to create games for them. the saturation of the market with absolute shit was the reason why the market crashed.

so coming from that perspective you begin to understand the exclusives, and not working with others. THAT SAID, bioware isn't a bad company. make bioware games work with your system, getting. it can also be on the part of the game companies -- wiiU didn't do well so now they are skeptical about the switch as yet another gimmicky thing from nintendo.
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Postby exploited » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:00 am

Why don't they just do a nice, full-functioning console, and approve developers?
exploited
Vice President

Postby John Galt » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:10 am

exploited wrote:Why don't they just do a nice, full-functioning console, and approve developers?

that is what they do do, though. what they don't do is sell hardware for a loss to make up for it with game sales, and as a consequence, their systems are often underpowered. and as a consequence of that, the top of the line stuff can't be played on it. but i ask you this question: why aren't you playing your gloriously rendered exquisitely beautiful game in 4K and sustained 60+FPS on your pcmasterrace shrine, you pleb? why you playing on 30fps garbage xbox and ps4? those consoles are not top of the line either, they are middling attempts of trying to retain relevancy. sure, i have a ps4 for team ico and naughty dog, and i buy nintendo for nintendo games, but the pc is for anything cross platform
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby exploited » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:26 am

John Galt wrote:
exploited wrote:Why don't they just do a nice, full-functioning console, and approve developers?

that is what they do do, though. what they don't do is sell hardware for a loss to make up for it with game sales, and as a consequence, their systems are often underpowered. and as a consequence of that, the top of the line stuff can't be played on it. but i ask you this question: why aren't you playing your gloriously rendered exquisitely beautiful game in 4K and sustained 60+FPS on your pcmasterrace shrine, you pleb? why you playing on 30fps garbage xbox and ps4? those consoles are not top of the line either, they are middling attempts of trying to retain relevancy. sure, i have a ps4 for team ico and naughty dog, and i buy nintendo for nintendo games, but the pc is for anything cross platform

I'm out of the console game forever, myself, but the thing is that I would be tempted to buy a Nintendo console if they weren't so underpowered and shitty. But I'll never give into that temptation when I know that it will look and play like shit whenever it encounters something that is fairly modern.
exploited
Vice President

Postby John Galt » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:38 am

exploited wrote:
John Galt wrote:

I'm out of the console game forever, myself, but the thing is that I would be tempted to buy a Nintendo console if they weren't so underpowered and shitty. But I'll never give into that temptation when I know that it will look and play like shit whenever it encounters something that is fairly modern.

zelda: breath of the wild is the greatest video game of all time, and it is available on the switch. it is exceedingly modern, having come out not even a week ago, and looks stunningly gorgeous. while others have claimed to have experienced occasional fps dips, i have not seen any. so the only game ive ever seen played on it and have ever played on it is beautiful and doesn't play like shit. the only game almost anyone has played on it is that game by the way. and it's beautiful, and doesn't play like shit.

you know crysis is still the most demanding game out there? you know, that game from a decade ago, 2007? it pushed boundaries because of new tech, but this doesn't mean it's the most beautifully rendered game of all tiume. since then we've had improvements in technology that have allowed for the graphics to be optimized. crysis 2 and crysis 3 look better than crysis, but require less beefy hardware.
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby Kane » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:39 am

Yeah, I saw the original teasers at E3 and thought it looked good but what I've seen now is pretty underwhelming. It's like a game made for nostalgic purposes (which is fine - it's Zelda I get it) and while I do have that itch on occasion I just don't have it now.
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
Kane
Governor

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby exploited » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:40 am

John Galt wrote:
exploited wrote:
John Galt wrote:

zelda: breath of the wild is the greatest video game of all time, and it is available on the switch. it is exceedingly modern, having come out not even a week ago, and looks stunningly gorgeous. while others have claimed to have experienced occasional fps dips, i have not seen any. so the only game ive ever seen played on it and have ever played on it is beautiful and doesn't play like shit. the only game almost anyone has played on it is that game by the way. and it's beautiful, and doesn't play like shit.

you know crysis is still the most demanding game out there? you know, that game from a decade ago, 2007? it pushed boundaries because of new tech, but this doesn't mean it's the most beautifully rendered game of all tiume. since then we've had improvements in technology that have allowed for the graphics to be optimized. crysis 2 and crysis 3 look better than crysis, but require less beefy hardware.

Yes, BotW has a particular look, and I imagine that all games that partake in that look will run well, mostly because that look isn't demanding. But this has already been pointed out to you.

Of course the (speculative) specs speak for themselves.
exploited
Vice President

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge