Legal Question: Creating Uber/Lyft Competitor App

A place to relax and talk about things besides politics.

Legal Question: Creating Uber/Lyft Competitor App

Postby Stratego » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:52 pm

Uber and Lyft have created a massive transportation business by linking drivers with people that need to get places. They're not paying their drivers as employees because their technology only acts as an enabler for a transaction to occur. The business side of it is strictly between the driver and the rider.

It's possible for a driver to work for both Uber and Lyft. So in theory, a rider can take portion of the ride through Uber and another portion through Lyft with the same driver if through arbitrage he finds that it's cheaper to do so due to geographic pricing strategies.

So my question is...

Are there any legal ramifications if I create an app that match drivers and riders, but don't use a GPS, and instead use blue tooth connections? I can charge a much lower fee compared to Uber or Lyft because I don't need high levels of algorithm. Basically, the driver and rider can find each other only when they're relatively close which in many case may be right after they hail an Uber / Lyft car. Do I have legal grounds to claim that I'm just providing an enabling technology or would Uber/Lyft likely to win if they sue my ass for this app?
Sigmund Freud defined four parts of a psyche; the id, the ego, the superego and the stratego. The Stratego being the highest form of morality and scientific thinking.

If guns are not outlawed, the in-laws will have guns.
Stratego
VIP
VIP

Return to The Lounge