Boris Johnson's Philosophy fun-time. Part:1

Re: Boris Johnson's Philosophy fun-time. Part:1

Postby exploited » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:19 pm

The world is less violent than ever before, although the targets and nature of violence have become more brutal. More people are engaging in responsible, safe sex. And although immediate gratification is a big problem, that is mostly a cultural development, and is (not easily) reversed with education and good policy.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Gnostic » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:13 am

exploited wrote:The world is less violent than ever before,

How can you say this? Show me proof. Not only do I not see a decline in violence, I see an increase. Domestically and abroad.

exploited wrote: More people are engaging in responsible, safe sex.

Your pulling my leg...seriously?

exploited wrote:And although immediate gratification is a big problem, that is mostly a cultural development, and is (not easily) reversed with education and good policy.

Education goes a long way. But it's morality ultimately that curbs such practice.
Gnostic
Mayor

Postby The Dharma Bum » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:58 am

It hasn't so far. Generally speaking, moralism is a corrupt process.
The Dharma Bum
Vice President

Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Postby exploited » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:57 pm

Gnostic wrote:
exploited wrote:The world is less violent than ever before,

How can you say this? Show me proof. Not only do I not see a decline in violence, I see an increase. Domestically and abroad.

Everytime I show you proof, you just scream "Nuh uh!" But alright. Here is some proof from various academic "ninnies." And for the love of God, can you please start forming opinions based on facts, not intuition based on confirmation bias?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... f-violence

Take homicide. Using old court and county records in England, scholars calculate that rates have plummeted by a factor of 10, 50 and, in some cases, 100—for example, from 110 homicides per 100,000 people per year in 14th-century Oxford to fewer than one homicide per 100,000 in mid-20th-century London. Similar patterns have been documented in Italy, Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Scandinavia. The longer-term trend is even more dramatic, Pinker told me in an interview: “Violent deaths of all kinds have declined, from around 500 per 100,000 people per year in prestate societies to around 50 in the Middle Ages, to around six to eight today worldwide, and fewer than one in most of Europe.” What about gun-toting Americans and our inordinate rate of homicides (currently around five per 100,000 per year) compared with other Western democracies? In 2005, Pinker computes, just eight tenths of 1 percent of all Americans died of domestic homicides and in two foreign wars combined.

As for wars, prehistoric peoples were far more murderous than states in percentages of the population killed in combat, Pinker told me: “On average, nonstate societies kill around 15 percent of their people in wars, whereas today’s states kill a few hundredths of a percent.” Pinker calculates that even in the murderous 20th century, about 40 million people died in war out of the approximately six billion people who lived, or 0.7 percent. Even if we include war-related deaths of citizens from disease, famine and genocide, that brings the death toll up to 180 million deaths, or about 3 percent...

exploited wrote:
More people are engaging in responsible, safe sex.

Your pulling my leg...seriously?

Not at all. Awareness of STIs has skyrocketed, resulting in more diagnoses, which gives the impression of an increase. But prevalence is dropping. Check out the WHOs website.

exploited wrote:
And although immediate gratification is a big problem, that is mostly a cultural development, and is (not easily) reversed with education and good policy.

Education goes a long way. But it's morality ultimately that curbs such practice.

Morality has never stopped a hypocrite.
exploited
Vice President

Postby Gnostic » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:12 pm

Neither has education.
Gnostic
Mayor

Previous

Return to Philosophy