What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby eynon81 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:58 pm

Philly2 wrote:It would be much better just cease existing, as I believe is the case, then to somehow still have a consciousness and be sitting around like "damn, I'm dead..."



any kind of existence > non-existence.
User avatar
eynon81
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 19475
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Golden, Colorado
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3875 times
Been thanked: 1821 times
Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby eric » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:58 pm

I'm not criticizing, but how are you ok with not existing? It scares me to death.

Npi
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
User avatar
eric
Governor
 
Posts: 4008
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby eynon81 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:04 pm

eric wrote:I'm not criticizing, but how are you ok with not existing? It scares me to death.

Npi



second.
User avatar
eynon81
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 19475
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Golden, Colorado
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3875 times
Been thanked: 1821 times
Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby Winchester » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:07 pm

eric wrote:I'm not criticizing, but how are you ok with not existing? It scares me to death.

Npi


Just am, I've had and am having a good run. Trying to enjoy all I can. If nothing else I've got the mindset this is it, make the most out of life and my relationships, cause this is all there is. I "survived" not existing prior to my birth just fine, I'm sure the other end will work out just as well. Frankly living eternally sounds a bit hellish to me.
User avatar
Winchester
Governor
 
Posts: 5334
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 703 times
Been thanked: 768 times

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby exploited » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:09 pm

When I want some comfort, I like to entertain the idea of a multiverse, with my consciousness spanning a near infinite number of universes. Maybe in one of them biological death isn't a problem. *shrug*

In truth, we are just meatsacks who won the evolutionary lottery and get sadface when we face oblivion.
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 20607
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2130 times
Been thanked: 1671 times

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby Philly » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:14 pm

eric wrote:I'm not criticizing, but how are you ok with not existing? It scares me to death.

Npi

Everything has to come to an end eventually. I'm not ready to go into oblivion. I'm not sure I ever will be. But I'm not going to dwell on it when there's really nothing I can do to stop it. Like Win said, enjoy it while it lasts.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9336
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 945 times
Been thanked: 1097 times

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby Medius » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:21 pm

eric wrote:I'm not criticizing, but how are you ok with not existing? It scares me to death.

Npi


Then don't believe it. Here's the thing: if you live your entire life happily and without fear of death by believing there is something beyond, and you are wrong, who cares?

On the flip side, wasting even one minute of a finite life in fear of something you can never know is a travesty.

The simple fact is that you won't know what is beyond, if anything. It is either beyond human perception or it doesn't exist. If it is beyond human perception, then you have a faulty premise that "because I was void before I was born, I will be void after I die". It may be void or something your brain can't process.

These users thanked the author Medius for the post:
eynon81
User avatar
Medius
Governor
 
Posts: 4019
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:21 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 495 times
Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby eynon81 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:28 pm

I think the fear for me is if there is nothing but void am I living my life the say I should?


I don't think I could function in my current form without hope of something beyond this.
User avatar
eynon81
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 19475
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 am
Location: Golden, Colorado
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3875 times
Been thanked: 1821 times
Political Leaning: Very Conservative

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby The Dharma Bum » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:03 am

existence is an entirely subjective experience, when you are gone the understanding of existence that was created by your conscious experiences, literally your universe, is gone too.
Image
User avatar
The Dharma Bum
Vice President
 
Posts: 11594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3285 times
Been thanked: 617 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby eric » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:27 am

Medius wrote:
eric wrote:I'm not criticizing, but how are you ok with not existing? It scares me to death.

Npi


Then don't believe it. Here's the thing: if you live your entire life happily and without fear of death by believing there is something beyond, and you are wrong, who cares?

On the flip side, wasting even one minute of a finite life in fear of something you can never know is a travesty.

The simple fact is that you won't know what is beyond, if anything. It is either beyond human perception or it doesn't exist. If it is beyond human perception, then you have a faulty premise that "because I was void before I was born, I will be void after I die". It may be void or something your brain can't process.


I understand your point, but my brain simply doesn't work that way. Ultimately, death makes everything we do rather pointless. I guess really nothing matters at all. Even if you want to build a better world for tomorrow, if you die, that world doesn't exist. What's the point of the struggle?

I can understand living life to enjoy it. But building a legacy or trying to find deeper meaning, if in death there is nothing seems like an errant undertaking.

It seems obvious to me that in death there is nothing. It is the void that exists when you don't remember your dreams, or before you were born. I guess we struggle with it as a species because we can perceive it's eventuality.

Or at least I do, on occasion.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
User avatar
eric
Governor
 
Posts: 4008
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 271 times

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest