What are your thoughts on death and reality?

What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby eric » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:29 pm

So I get pretty anxious sometimes thinking about death and reality. I think back to "before I was born" and all I can surmise is that same void is what happens when we die.

It further worries me, because excluding our ability to question why, and frankly the things that make us intelligent, we are no different than other animals. When they die, we don't imagine that they are reborn, or that they move on to some special plane of existence. Can we even experience death? Do our brains perhaps slow down time and reconstruct our lives through memories and interpretations of past events?

It makes me further question whether our consciousness and what we perceive as having intelligence is really just the culmination of 4 billion years of evolution, but that it is just an illusion; animals have consciousness and intelligence, it's just a very lesser degree. As a bit of a digression, I sense that animals are not only more intelligent than we think, but experience a wide range of emotions, they just don't quite have the same control over their minds as we do. Mammals, some birds, and perhaps octopi.

Anyway, kind of a random thought and tangent, but I wanted to see what you guys think. Now, I'm not going to tell anybody to not post anything religious, because you may very well believe that to be the case, but I think that I want to avoid an argument about it and frankly we are all familiar with religious theory. If you want to say that you think there is a creator, that's fine. I definitely welcome different interpretations of religious text, in that sense.

So let's hear it?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
User avatar
eric
Governor
 
Posts: 4008
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby Philly » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:38 pm

It would be much better just cease existing, as I believe is the case, then to somehow still have a consciousness and be sitting around like "damn, I'm dead..."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9336
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 945 times
Been thanked: 1097 times

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby eric » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:40 pm

So another question, does the universe still exist if we are dead?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
User avatar
eric
Governor
 
Posts: 4008
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby Philly » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:42 pm

eric wrote:So another question, does the universe still exist if we are dead?

Yes and no. As far as the deceased is concerned, no. For those the deceased is survived by, of course. But I think that's basic enough that you already could gather that much. Is there more to this question than I'm understanding?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9336
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 945 times
Been thanked: 1097 times

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby eric » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:43 pm

Well why would it exist if you can't experience it? Perhaps we each experience a version of the multiverse?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

These users thanked the author eric for the post (total 2):
The Dharma Bumeynon81
User avatar
eric
Governor
 
Posts: 4008
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby Philly » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:47 pm

eric wrote:Well why would it exist if you can't experience it? Perhaps we each experience a version of the multiverse?

Regardless of whether or not that is the case, when we don't exist, there is no existence for us. That's an awkward sentence but it's the best way I can put it. While others will continue to exist after we die, when you are dead, all existence ends for you, not just your own existence.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9336
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 945 times
Been thanked: 1097 times

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby The Comrade » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:47 pm

solipsism is also classified as a psychological disorder. tread lightly, friend.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
The Comrade
Vice President
 
Posts: 17986
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Yugoslavia
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1188 times
Been thanked: 1814 times
Political Leaning: Socialist

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby eric » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:50 pm

The Comrade wrote:solipsism is also classified as a psychological disorder. tread lightly, friend.


Oh yeah I'm not a solipsistic person. I do think that other minds exist. It's just sometimes I think about these things too much and so I just wonder and ask silly questions. Mostly shit that people have probably already figured out.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
User avatar
eric
Governor
 
Posts: 4008
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby eric » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:52 pm

Philly2 wrote:
eric wrote:Well why would it exist if you can't experience it? Perhaps we each experience a version of the multiverse?

Regardless of whether or not that is the case, when we don't exist, there is no existence for us. That's an awkward sentence but it's the best way I can put it. While others will continue to exist after we die, when you are dead, all existence ends for you, not just your own existence.


Yeah I get what you're saying. I'm just saying stuff. All of this troubles me.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
User avatar
eric
Governor
 
Posts: 4008
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: What are your thoughts on death and reality?

Postby Winchester » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:57 pm

eric wrote:So I get pretty anxious sometimes thinking about death and reality. I think back to "before I was born" and all I can surmise is that same void is what happens when we die.

It further worries me, because excluding our ability to question why, and frankly the things that make us intelligent, we are no different than other animals. When they die, we don't imagine that they are reborn, or that they move on to some special plane of existence. Can we even experience death? Do our brains perhaps slow down time and reconstruct our lives through memories and interpretations of past events?

It makes me further question whether our consciousness and what we perceive as having intelligence is really just the culmination of 4 billion years of evolution, but that it is just an illusion; animals have consciousness and intelligence, it's just a very lesser degree. As a bit of a digression, I sense that animals are not only more intelligent than we think, but experience a wide range of emotions, they just don't quite have the same control over their minds as we do. Mammals, some birds, and perhaps octopi.

Anyway, kind of a random thought and tangent, but I wanted to see what you guys think. Now, I'm not going to tell anybody to not post anything religious, because you may very well believe that to be the case, but I think that I want to avoid an argument about it and frankly we are all familiar with religious theory. If you want to say that you think there is a creator, that's fine. I definitely welcome different interpretations of religious text, in that sense.

So let's hear it?


Pretty much my thoughts on things. When we die, were gone. I'm totally okay with that for myself, not so okay with that if I were to have a child die, but I really think that's the way it is.

I also agree with the animal thing. They're much more intelligent and emotional than we give them credit for. Our problem is communicating with them.
User avatar
Winchester
Governor
 
Posts: 5334
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 702 times
Been thanked: 768 times

Next

Return to Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest