Ayn Rand Objectivsm v. Karl Marx Communiusm

Re: Ayn Rand Objectivsm v. Karl Marx Communiusm

Postby lnrw » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:06 am

The Comrade wrote:verticle farming is going to annihilate food scarcity. no more regional growing places, no more outrageous costs due to transportation and regional monopolies. every region will be able to grow shitloads of literally any crop, with increased yields, year round, with fewer resources.

you can't grow corn where a growing season is too short. i believe there are other crops as well. it takes 4 rows to grow corn, as far as i know.

i do think vertical farming will solve some space and convenience problems, but no solution solves all problems in the particular field.

Lifetime member of the NRA
lnrw
Governor

Political Leaning: Libertarian

Postby Motown » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:35 am

The Comrade wrote:verticle farming is going to annihilate food scarcity. no more regional growing places, no more outrageous costs due to transportation and regional monopolies. every region will be able to grow shitloads of literally any crop, with increased yields, year round, with fewer resources.

That's really interesting, I'd never heard of vertical farming until you mentioned it. From what little I've read it seems like it could solve some problems. Are you assuming these big greenhouses would be communally operated?
Motown
Council Member

Postby exploited » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:06 am

It has the potential to eliminate food scarcity, but that largely depends on how much resources and capital we decide to throw at it. Rolling out agricultural changes takes decades, and as it stands, these facilities take an enormous workforce, they can't grow anything but leafy greens, and they can't produce anywhere close to the amount of energy needed to produce other crops. But the idea is really nice and you are seeing some limited successes growing stuff like watercress.
exploited
Vice President

Postby NAB » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:23 am

Motown wrote:
Dylan wrote:
Motown wrote: I think Rand was a bitter little charlatan.

:)) we could replace thousands of pages of tripe written on Atlas Shrugged with just that accurate succinct description.

I read that book because some friends of mine wouldn't stop talking about it and thought I'd really like it. They asked me what I thought when I was finished and I told them I thought Rand was autistic, not the answer they were looking for. I don't see how anyone can read that book and not believe Rand was a monster.

The Fountainhead used to be the bane of my profession when freshman architecture students were required to read that garbage. Yes, I read it then, and thought it was an interesting story that totally made Howard Roark look like a kickass mentor to follow. Then I matured a bit and read Atlas Shrugged, and realized how full of shit her grab bag of fun was. I actually read Shrugged while studying in Italy as a student (I grabbed some thick books to keep me occupied), and I think that book actually made my time in Italy worse. Shame on you Ayn.

Still have a classmate whole thinks she's the bomb.......his career kind of blows. Real hard actually, good guy but a terrible architect.
Welcome to our speak board web page
NAB
Governor

Previous

Return to Philosophy