Sam Harris: The Delusion of Free Will

Re: Sam Harris: The Delusion of Free Will

Postby Professor » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:57 pm

eynon81 wrote:
exploited wrote:Of course free will exists.

Why else would I possibly get up early to work out?

You can't argue that free will doesn't exist while also being perfectly aware of all the terrible shit we force ourselves to do. Because honestly, if it didn't exist, I'd just f**k bitches, drink, smoke weed and party all day, everyday, as that is my nature.


I'd do all that and occasionally kill a man.


Can I give you a list of nominees?
Image

These users thanked the author Professor for the post:
eynon81
User avatar
Professor
VIP
VIP
 
Posts: 7553
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:42 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 570 times
Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Re: Sam Harris: The Delusion of Free Will

Postby exploited » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:00 pm

Let me also point out that if our brains are computers, they are quantum computers whose dataset is the entire observable universe.


For those who haven't really studied consciousness or the multiverse, please trust me when I say that even though we are buckets of meat, we are tremendously powerful buckets, capable of spawning entire universes simply by collapsing wavelengths.

See, I can spit unverified but cool sounding hypotheses too.
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 20958
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2197 times
Been thanked: 1702 times

Re: Sam Harris: The Delusion of Free Will

Postby Dylan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:00 pm

exploited wrote:Of course free will exists.

Why else would I possibly get up early to work out?

You can't argue that free will doesn't exist while also being perfectly aware of all the terrible shit we force ourselves to do. Because honestly, if it didn't exist, I'd just f**k bitches, drink, smoke weed and party all day, everyday, as that is my nature.

Philly addressed this on the first page. You make choices but the choices aren't really choices bruh
Image
User avatar
Dylan
Vice President
 
Posts: 10741
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:34 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 1038 times
Been thanked: 916 times
Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Re: Sam Harris: The Delusion of Free Will

Postby exploited » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:01 pm

Dylan wrote:
exploited wrote:Of course free will exists.

Why else would I possibly get up early to work out?

You can't argue that free will doesn't exist while also being perfectly aware of all the terrible shit we force ourselves to do. Because honestly, if it didn't exist, I'd just f**k bitches, drink, smoke weed and party all day, everyday, as that is my nature.

Philly addressed this on the first page. You make choices but the choices aren't really choices bruh


But that doesn't make any sense. Just because I am offered a limited set of options doesn't speak to the nonexistence of choice. It merely confirms it. And there are also those rare people who are usually heroic assholes who make choices totally at odds with any conceivable biological programming.
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 20958
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2197 times
Been thanked: 1702 times

Re: Sam Harris: The Delusion of Free Will

Postby Philly » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:08 pm

exploited wrote:
Dylan wrote:
exploited wrote:Of course free will exists.

Why else would I possibly get up early to work out?

You can't argue that free will doesn't exist while also being perfectly aware of all the terrible shit we force ourselves to do. Because honestly, if it didn't exist, I'd just f**k bitches, drink, smoke weed and party all day, everyday, as that is my nature.

Philly addressed this on the first page. You make choices but the choices aren't really choices bruh


But that doesn't make any sense. Just because I am offered a limited set of options doesn't speak to the nonexistence of choice. It merely confirms it. And there are also those rare people who are usually heroic assholes who make choices totally at odds with any conceivable biological programming.

If you have a choice for lunch of either tacos or Chinese food, which one do you choose and why?
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9417
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 949 times
Been thanked: 1116 times

Re: Sam Harris: The Delusion of Free Will

Postby exploited » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:11 pm

Depends on the day.
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 20958
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2197 times
Been thanked: 1702 times

Re: Sam Harris: The Delusion of Free Will

Postby Philly » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:12 pm

exploited wrote:Depends on the day.

Do you control what day it is?
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9417
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 949 times
Been thanked: 1116 times

Re: Sam Harris: The Delusion of Free Will

Postby exploited » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:15 pm

Philly2 wrote:
exploited wrote:Depends on the day.

Do you control what day it is?


No.

This is where you have to demonstrate a testable conclusion.

Keeping in mind that the choice here has nothing to do with if it's Wednesday or Thursday, but about what I'm craving, what I'm allowed to eat according to my self-imposed discipline, what I've had more recently, what is cheaper or more convenient, and a whole spectrum of other considerations*.

* none of which are biologically determined except for craving
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 20958
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2197 times
Been thanked: 1702 times

Re: Sam Harris: The Delusion of Free Will

Postby Philly » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:18 pm

exploited wrote:
Philly2 wrote:
exploited wrote:Depends on the day.

Do you control what day it is?


No.

This is where you have to demonstrate a testable conclusion.

Keeping in mind that the choice here has nothing to do with if it's Wednesday or Thursday, but about what I'm craving, what I'm allowed to eat according to my self-imposed discipline, what I've had more recently, what is cheaper or more convenient, and a whole spectrum of other considerations*.

* none of which are biologically determined except for craving

So you're now changing your answer to a host of factors, none of which you control, but it no longer depends on the day.
User avatar
Philly
Governor
 
Posts: 9417
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 949 times
Been thanked: 1116 times

Re: Sam Harris: The Delusion of Free Will

Postby exploited » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:22 pm

Haha what.

"Depends on the day" is a colloquialism or catch-all phrase for such factors.

It seems to me that your argument consists of listening to a person detail their considerations, then simply glaring at them and asking "but did you REALLY choose to eat tacos?"

It is as reliant upon mysticism as determinism.
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 20958
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2197 times
Been thanked: 1702 times

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest