What do you think produces inequality in society

Re: What do you think produces inequality in society

Postby exploited » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:10 pm

The Comrade wrote:i'm not white knighting for dharma, we just happen to agree often. i'm not going to bother reposting the same argument as him to the same criticisms either. it'd be redundant. but the victim complex is cute. keep it up.


It is pretty obvious you posted in this thread because you wanted to signal your disagreement with me, not to actually debate anything, as you literally just admitted.
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 20436
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2092 times
Been thanked: 1664 times

Re: What do you think produces inequality in society

Postby Medius » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:54 pm

The Dharma Bum wrote:
You are talking about a global direct democracy. I promise you, if you were to implement such a thing tomorrow morning, but the end of day, the rest of the world would be slaves to China. When looking to create a system controlled entirely by the majority of people, you need to make sure that those people actually want a fair and egalitarian society.

In order to get the type of society you want with the type of government you want, means you will need to convince several billion people to think the way you think. I really don't see that as practical.

If you want a direct democracy, you pretty much have to take whatever comes of it, egalitarian or not. If you want an egalitarian society, you will need some measure of force to keep those who do not want such a society in line.


Anything to support that premise?

I don't really see that happening, and the greatest force in the way of achieving a equitable global system is the global mode of production, not China which is merely a pawn of this force and is technically a semi-peripheral rather than core nation.

There is little opportunity for them currently to become the global hegemon. And if we dismantle the system of global hegemony that currently exists that door would shut to them, and all other countries forever.

I'm talking about dismantling power and preventing the opportunity for it's accumulation in the future.


That wasn't intended to be any sort of commentary on China, just pointing out that in a direct democracy, whoever can build the biggest block vote wins. It doesn't have to be China, it could be Muslims or Asia or Christians. Any large block that can take the majority vote can put all others at their mercy. Your faulty logic here is that everyone would like the system you are putting forth. The truth is, it would probably be overwhelmingly unpopular. People want to be secure and the only guaranteed way to be secure is to have sole claim to the things you need.
User avatar
Medius
Governor
 
Posts: 4019
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:21 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 495 times
Political Leaning: Middle of the Road

Re: What do you think produces inequality in society

Postby The Dharma Bum » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:33 pm

In any type of democracy whoever builds the largest largest coalition wins.
Image
User avatar
The Dharma Bum
Vice President
 
Posts: 11594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3285 times
Been thanked: 617 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: What do you think produces inequality in society

Postby exploited » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:36 pm

The Dharma Bum wrote:In any type of democracy whoever builds the largest largest coalition wins.


Yes, and democracy is just as coercive as any other system when you're the loser. Just ask the blacks and the poors.
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 20436
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2092 times
Been thanked: 1664 times

Re: What do you think produces inequality in society

Postby The Dharma Bum » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:41 pm

Also socialism is very popular all over the world, except the US.
Image
User avatar
The Dharma Bum
Vice President
 
Posts: 11594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3285 times
Been thanked: 617 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: What do you think produces inequality in society

Postby The Dharma Bum » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:46 pm

exploited wrote:
The Dharma Bum wrote:In any type of democracy whoever builds the largest largest coalition wins.


Yes, and democracy is just as coercive as any other system when you're the loser. Just ask the blacks and the poors.


Economic "losers" don't happen unless you use market distribution and private property, which is exactly why that distribution philosophy is unethical.
Image
User avatar
The Dharma Bum
Vice President
 
Posts: 11594
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3285 times
Been thanked: 617 times
Political Leaning: Anarcho Communist

Re: What do you think produces inequality in society

Postby The Comrade » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:03 pm

exploited wrote:
The Comrade wrote:i'm not white knighting for dharma, we just happen to agree often. i'm not going to bother reposting the same argument as him to the same criticisms either. it'd be redundant. but the victim complex is cute. keep it up.


It is pretty obvious you posted in this thread because you wanted to signal your disagreement with me, not to actually debate anything, as you literally just admitted.


well, i was debating something until you, as usual, turned this into some conspiracy about an attack on you.

and that's not what i 'literally' admitted.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
The Comrade
Vice President
 
Posts: 17905
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Yugoslavia
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 1187 times
Been thanked: 1803 times
Political Leaning: Socialist

Re: What do you think produces inequality in society

Postby exploited » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:36 am

The Dharma Bum wrote:
exploited wrote:
The Dharma Bum wrote:In any type of democracy whoever builds the largest largest coalition wins.


Yes, and democracy is just as coercive as any other system when you're the loser. Just ask the blacks and the poors.


Economic "losers" don't happen unless you use market distribution and private property, which is exactly why that distribution philosophy is unethical.


We're talking about democracy, not capitalism or socialism.

The simple, inarguable truth is that one guy making all the decisions is no more coercive than 50% +1.

Ultimately, a decision that requires enforcement will be made, and those who disagree with it will be coerced into obeying.

Without that coercion, there is literally no point to having a political system at all.
User avatar
exploited
Vice President
 
Posts: 20436
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 2092 times
Been thanked: 1664 times

Previous

Return to Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron