the Decadent Decline of the United States of America

the Decadent Decline of the United States of America

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:47 am

i've been talking about this for a while but we are disgustingly decadent

i'm posting this on my computer, but i could very well be on my phone, on a shitter, drinking beer, eating doritos, and doing the same thing

south park this season is addressing this decadent collapse of the american empire and tying it to why the force awakens wasn't really a good movie, and why trump is a thing. and they are spot on.

but the question is, how do we as a society reverse the decedent collapse?

the only things i can think of are killing off a lot of us in a land war in asia OR investing in a wonder to revitalize the empire and truly make us great again. and the one project i think would truly be a wonder this days would involve the colonization of luna and mars
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Political Leaning: Classic Liberal

Re: the Decadent Decline of the United States of America

Postby IndependentProfessor » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:30 pm

But, is it really "collapsing"?

Crime is lower than in many decades (since the 20s, at least). Fewer people around the world are in a war zone. Technology is progressing faster than ever.
IndependentProfessor
Congressman

Political Leaning: Rockefeller Republican

Postby Philly » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:01 pm

IndependentProfessor wrote:But, is it really "collapsing"?

Crime is lower than in many decades (since the 20s, at least). Fewer people around the world are in a war zone. Technology is progressing faster than ever.

As a counterpoint (from a left-wing perspective) I offer this piece Prof. I think it does a good job of articulating why millennials feel so cynical about this election, despite many people being baffled at how they aren't thrilled.

http://www.newsweek.com/young-american- ... ton-511794
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Philly
Governor

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:07 pm

pride cometh before the fall. remember, the romans couldn't hear the barbarians at the gates because they were too busy watching netflix

because of lack of organic change but rather forced change that shitlibs and the like think need to happen now and not in 15 years you've created an all out revolt to novelty. but the reason shitlibs want us to make these changes is because of their own decadence. roman orgies are infamous. they were happening while they watched nexflix, towards the end. sexaul liberalization was in full swing. did the gays cause this? no. the gays didn't cause this. the gay's white knights though are part of the problem of extreme decadence. when these are the problems we fight over, we are so introverted that we ignore real problems. like gyna
Americans learn only from catastrophe and not from experience. -- Theodore Roosevelt
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby ToddStarnes » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:56 pm

I'm with you man. The steady march of progress is continuing throughout the world. I have no idea where this idea that we are on the precipice of collapse is coming from. I guess 24 hour news cycles? I dunno. It's weird though.

Cue somebody calling me a racist or out of touch or whatever and then listing a variety of ills as though previous generations faced no problems whatsoever andtherefore we are indeed on the verge of collapse.
ToddStarnes
Senator

Postby John Galt » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:39 pm

we're not on the precipice of collapse, we are on the decline. yes, things like crime go down. but is that the measure of whether or not society is declining?

i have pondered this often, when i see the flag at half mast. i think i see the flag at half mast more than I see the flag gloriously on top. we're perpetually mourning something. i understand it is because we are very connected these days why that happens (we hear about things far away and it impacts us)

but in the heart of the matter is the decadent decline. we are self absorbed and bicker over shit. obama ran on hope and change, and that was his message entirely. why did it work? because we've been on the decline. ever since clinton we've been on the decline. i think we can chart the fall of the united states morally from our post-cold-war high and it started with a cigar up a twat. obama was a reprieve, but another clinton will not be. trump wouldn't be either but at least he is speaking to the problems that are ailing us

more young men are not working today than the height of the great depression, as a percentage of population. they simply aren't even looking for work. they are staying at home, playing video games or doing meth, and not caring about shit. even our fat poors are decadent

what should be done about it? i'm not sure. land war in asia is always a good bet. but a great wonder is also a good one. speaking of, civ 6 comes out today. too bad they don't have a decadence mechanic. it needs to be there, because all empires get it
John Galt
Technical Admin

Postby ToddStarnes » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:50 pm

We've always bickered over shit. Speeches from 150 years ago were more eloquent but the person attacks and disputes were similarly more personal.

Anti-establishment sentiment comes and goes, as do politicians who take advantage of the tide.

Yes, crime is one factor in evaluating the decline of a nation. As is love expectancy, access to health care, infant mortality rates, purchasing power, employment, etc. And when you look at the mix of that data, I don't see anything suggesting we are on an overall downward trend.

The media is killing us on this.
ToddStarnes
Senator

Postby Philly » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:53 pm

The theories proffered by the Serious and Sober analysts of American political life are astounding. One hardly needs to list them in particular, given how inadequate the whole mode of inquiry has proved. It relies, as it often does, on the assumption that the troubling behavior of large groups of people can be attributed to a failure of basic rationality: "They aren’t realistic." "They lack information." "They don’t have a sense of the stakes, aren’t serious, haven’t got perspective." Each of these explanations evinces, as always, the evident unfamiliarity of American pundits with the actual emotional experience of human life. "Why do so many people feel the economy is failing when projections for the gross domestic product are so positive?" Their world is explained in total by a dry assemblage of facts (worse: statistics), and if the behavior of people fails to correspond to the rational consequences of these facts, the trouble must be ignorance, willful or otherwise.
(What can be said to all of this? That, generally speaking, global poverty is down? That medicine has advanced? That the slow inexorable grind of technology has made some great number of human lives superior to, say, those of a Frankish peasant? That, actually, the world is better than ever? It is strange that we take these signs to exonerate the present when they seem far more fitting as indictments of the past. The individual experience of human life has no regard for the abstraction of historical iniquity. What, after all, does incremental improvement mean in the face of global suicide? In the long term, permanent settlement for small encouragements resembles nothing so much as sinking deck chairs.)
Philly
Governor

Postby ToddStarnes » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:08 pm

Decline and collapse (the topics of the thread) is a relative discussion, so, yes, history is obviously relevant as the benchmark by which one measures "decline" and "collapse".

Additionally, the dry facts he mentioned are not relevant to analysis of the economic situation of the average man, but to dismiss all statistical measures as a result is absurdly illogical. We can measure the economic health of the middle class.
ToddStarnes
Senator

Postby Philly » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:15 pm

The point is that you can't refute the anxieties and diminish quality of life that people are feeling with statistics. This is an entirely different circumstance than say, those who bitch and moan about Obama raising their taxes while in truth their taxes have not gone up at all. It's much harder to measure these issues, and generally speaking, people understand when their lives are getting better.
Philly
Governor

Next

Return to Society